Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features "Hot Rod Your Model A"?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Fred A, Aug 6, 2018.

1. Fred A

Fred A
    from Encino, CA
    1. Upholstery

I decided to step up and get the latest book by Vern Tardel with publisher, David Fetherston rather than a former partner, Mike Bishop. I held off for some time because of what seemed to be shrouded in puzzlements in the book's availability and some unusual marketing. Published nineteen years ago, Vern and Mike's "How to Build a Traditional Ford Hot Rod" may never be surpassed, and their "How to Rebuild @ Modify Ford Flathead V-8 Engines" , also sure to become a classic. This new Model A Rod book at twice the price or more didn't do it for me. I did grind through it, but the font of the text is so stylized that the reader may bog down in whether it is phony handwriting or italics. Wore me out. The captions are more normal font in contrast or an odd mix with the text. Text would occasionally slip into a Good-ol- boy dialect that some will like. Depending on what you have purchased in the past or what you know or don't know about the subject, a cautious look at this one may save you some bucks. Caveat... Fred A

Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
  2. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

Written in the same style as John Muir's : "How to keep your Volkswagen Alive : A Manual of Step by Step Procedures for the Compleat Idiot" from back in the '60s, & just as useful!! Vern Tardel has another WINNER, especially for someone without much history in Model "A"/Early Ford mechanicals &/or fabrication skills. I wish I'd had this book before I started my current project, as it would have saved me from several problems!!

spurgeonforge likes this.
  3. Bill Nabors

Bill Nabors

I don’t own a model A and I still think it is one of the most informative books I have. Now I am looking for a 28-29 A.

4. A Boner

A Boner

Is it available now? Where?

5. That would be Mike Bishop.;)

6. Yeti Man

Yeti Man
    from NorthTexas

I have been wanting a model a Tudor for a long time. I have done several other cars, but never a pre war car. I bought this book, read through it a couple times and then I bought a nice Tudor to build. Definitely feel more confident having this book on hand! Can’t wait to get started!
    IMG_0307.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Texas Webb, lodaddyo and Hombre like this.
  7. 392

I don’t have one but it’s my choice if I do another hands down.

8. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

I bought the Tardel book in the mid 90's and used it to build my avatar, I changed several things but is a good basis for a build. I'm building a 30 Sport Coupe now and used a lot of the info on it too. I built my own transmission crossmember and used Model A pedals but still used the book for a lot of ideas.

Attached Files:

catdad49, 30 AV8 and Brandon McCall like this.
  9. Fred A

Fred A
    from Encino, CA
    1. Upholstery

Anyone confused here? "Hot Rod Your Model A" is a recently published, glitzed up book by an Icon of the rod hobby. Seems that the author and publisher are cashing in on material that is thoroughly covered in past books and U Tube videos. If we want to pay homage to the great one, just send a check and save a tree. Bothers me to pay so much for reruns. Good Luck: Fred A

10. Muttley

Muttley

uhh-what.jpg

11. I believe Fred is trying to say don't waste your money on the new release... Vern T 2.JPG as the old faithful original has everything and is cheaper ! Vern T 1.JPG

ydopen and walter like this.
  12. papajohn

papajohn

I have both. Like them about the same.

13. I bought Vern,s new book . I think it could be helpful to some . I enjoyed the new book .

rhtfo likes this.
  14. my2nd40

my2nd40
    from Tennessee

I've got the new book. I've got two in fact, one I keep in the house the other is out in the garage for quick reference. I can't see how anyone could be critical of this book, I would own it at twice the price because I think it's just that good.

continentaljohn likes this.
  15. It's a reference book, not a novel.

I'm at the tail end of my AV8 conversion and this book was a huge help. I have a few minor issues with it, but in general it's well presented and logical, made things pretty clear. I read it cover-to-cover before I started and referred to it (and a lot of other things) quite a bit as the build progressed.

continentaljohn likes this.
  16. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

I am a huge junkie of all books and Vern’s is awesome. What I find when building a hotrod of any era . The books can guide you but each build will be a bit different. The parts and so many different years being used and have they been tweaked messed with and is it even the correct parts. I am not even going to go into the aftermarket thingy “ universal fit”...
    . That is where I feel the HAMB Community comes in handy. Not only do you have amazing talent on here but you also have the guys that wrote the books your talking about and reading. I recommend any book and if you take away one or two things out of it ,money well spent .

17. cederholm

cederholm

I have both books and you guys should be happy that I do. His books answer 90% of the stupid questions that I would otherwise be asking YOU!

~ Carl

18. Fred A

Fred A
    from Encino, CA
    1. Upholstery

Looks like there are many more positive likes for the book, and for the right reasons. When the authors of how to's is a real builder with generous with his ways, it plays well, better than a Vern's a good ol boy logic. Not that there is none of that. As a book reviewer looks like my efforts are better placed with my own projects. Still thinking that picture posting skills or lack there of, could make my points better. Thanks: Fred A

19. Garpo

Garpo

Any book or repair manual that can save a mistake or two; or clarify a problem is value for money.
    Compare the cost with todays labour rate - save an hour or more, and you still have the book.
    Garpo

20. dmdeaton

dmdeaton

But Vern's book comes with a notepad!
    I have both books and like them.
    Although I am keeping my 4 banger