Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods What would you do?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by coolhandponcho54, Jul 22, 2018.

1. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

2. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

It"s a big project. It may be better as a parts car. Plenty of coupes and tudors of these models show up from time to time.

It seems very buildable as a 4 dr sedan......undoubtably the easiest option.

Open car........

If I went this route I would do it right. I would build it like a late 30s Phaethon or 4 dr sedan convertable.
    I would research those big convertibles.
    It seems the front seat was a structural member.... Same. Concept as dual cowl.

coolhandponcho54 likes this.
  3. Gman0046

Gman0046

Currently theres a Ford tudor sedan on the HAMB Classifieds Cars For Sale for 16K. You can't get that rust bucket to there with 16K thrown at it. Just saying.

Gary

4. I know it's ruff but I will never have 16k to throw at anything.
    As stated I have 4 kids and work as a mechanic, so.....
    I do have my own skills, help from others and about 100-200 I can spend at a time. I work with what I got. And maybe in the future I will be able to buy a rust free fully restored car. Just saying

Sent from my VS996 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. Some folks think everything has to magazine cover quality.
    I finished the cheapest thing I ever built last year No paint no body work just drive train brakes and stance. All built from scrap yard junk. 17k miles later it’s the most fun I ever had with a vehicle

6. If I start a build thread then you know I'm building it.
    If you see that awesome rear end setup on the classifieds then I'm not building it.
    Thanks to everyone for your opinions and options that was exactly what I was looking for

Sent from my VS996 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chevy57dude likes this.
  7. 'Mo

'Mo

I'd give it a go. The car looks solid, has most of the glass, and tons of character.
    Your kids will remember the car for the rest of their lives for its suicide rear doors.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 29, 2018
  8. 5window

5window

I agree, except, that if you really like coffee, you don't do Starbucks.

9. 5window

5window

Sometimes,it's the journey, not the destination. OP could have a lot of fun without spending a lot of money and, if he screws it up, well...

10. I'd build a camper!! Ditch the front clip, bent the frame horns at the firewall for a tongue, get the rear suspension safe (maybe use the front straight axle?) and outfit the interior with a mattress! The trunk could be the kitchen!!

11. Desmodromic

Desmodromic

This just popped up on a recent "event coverage" (Nor-Cal)! SAM_7279[1].JPG SAM_7280[1].JPG

12. 5window

5window

Nice craftsmanship, but not at all to my taste. To each his own and not my car.

Desmodromic and coolhandponcho54 like this.
  13. I noticed this years ago, even guys that are seemingly good car guys turn into complete morons when confronted with a car with the paint baked off it. Doesn't matter how solid it is, if there's some paint there, they see that surface rust and think it's junk like anybody on the street, like it's somehow impossible to knock it down and paint it again.

I had a 31 AA truck for a long time and never even got a silly offer on it, so finally I put it on a coupe frame with some axles I picked up and I painted it out of a Rustoleum can. After about a month I sold it for stupid money, it went to Sweden to boot. I've done it with a few other cars, hit them with primer or flat black paint and the same people don't even realize it's the same damn car.

14. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

Glad your going to build it, I agree with those that say it's an old FORD so it's worth at the minimum trying to save, also agree on get it safe and running and have fun with the fam!...think for a while on how to make it cooler.....REAL custom bodywork takes a lot of skill and patience but a lot of first timers have and are doing great work! And you " HOTRODDERS ?" ....seriously?.. that said junk it are pretty damn untraditional and this is a traditional site!......geeez, junk an old car

5window and coolhandponcho54 like this.
  15. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

I'm back from my week long staycation thrashing on my 29 AA, so I'm back with more opinions!

Man, I think the 500 Caddy and the Poncho sound COOOOOL! They both scream BOOTLEGGER BUILD to me.

That said, SBC/350 or 200-4R all dressed up/ blacked out to look right would give you a great driver that's cheaper to build and would have a much wider audience to sell to down the line (guys who want something easier to maintain/modify and haul kids/grandkids/friends in).

I would be equally tempted by both directions.

16. haileyp1014

haileyp1014
    from so cal

Not worth the gas or time run away

Gman0046 likes this.
  17. Get it driveable. Then drive it. Have fun.

18. verde742

verde742

you mean like this: 66DEE947-.JPG

which turn into this? IMG_0565 (1).jpg

which turned into this?

IMG_1602.jpg

19. verde742

verde742

Is THAT what you mean?

20. 26Troadster

26Troadster

of the tri 5's the 56 is my fav. the wagon could look better if done, but the topless is cool as shit. i'd drive the wheels off of either. funny when i posted it didn't show the hot wheels, get rid of the hot wheels stuff and change the wheels, or atleast the front ones.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
    verde742 likes this.
  21. verde742

verde742

It has a 350, 400 turbo, and in good weather IT NEVER gets shut off...
    the friend that built it says " he never should have bought an ignition switch.."

22. cederholm

cederholm

I'd hang that trunk lid on my wall.

23. dont feel bad
    I might just build this thing
    stepvan 1.jpeg
    57 postal service truck

24. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Do the thread.
    I'd like to see it done as a convertible sedan. F-one mentioned this already, very doable. Maybe chopped ~ 1 - 1.5" or so. Maybe. Madfish got it almost right. Just add some thinned removable door posts, just about anything other than those 'caps, & you're golden. Even the color is good. Sounds like this could be a really neat n lo-buck build. :) . Your kids will really enjoy this one, & all of you guys will have serious fun in it, as they can't hurt it, unlike some show-type car/trailer queen. Good luck. & good on you , man!
    Marcus...

Wrench666 and coolhandponcho54 like this.
  25. CousinWilly64

CousinWilly64

Be a cool thing to clean up and make a play thing for kids

26. Wrench666

Wrench666

Honestly that could be kinda fun to build and drive. Could go with 70s style shaggin wagon inside and give it a wicked flake, lace and candy paint job.
    Just thinking out loud here
    Andrew

27. Maverick Daddy

Maverick Daddy

I'd get it, keep it simple (350/350) leave the patina, and keep, or flip it. they aren't making any more of them, save it. if its not your cup of tea, flip it, and find one that is. it deserves to be saved.

coolhandponcho54 and patmanta like this.
  28. mopacltd

mopacltd

Yes, build it and the way you want to build!

29. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB