Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Master Cylinder advice

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bustingear, Aug 3, 2018.

1. bustingear

bustingear

Building a 29 Model A Coupe that is AV8 style on a 32 frame , flatty engine and 8" ford rear
    Master will be under the driver floor
    Looking for advice from pros on the proper master cylinder to use, disc front drum back juice style
    Thanks

Casey Riley likes this.
  2. 5window

5window

Recently replaced the one that was on my AV8 )boxed A frame. 8" Ford rear, 350 SBC). Same location as yours. interesting to research. Ended up being a Fox body Mustang unit. I was going for an exact refit in a very limited space, under the driver's side floor. It had to be installed without the cap-added that later. Works ok but wouldn't like to make a 60 mph panic stop.

3. bustingear

bustingear

anyone have specific application including bore size? needs to be disc front and drum back

4. The correct answer for that is going to depend on what size front and back brakes your going to use.
    The Wizzard

5. onetrickpony

onetrickpony
    from Texas

Use a mc that matches the size brakes you pick. For example, if I were to use eleven inch front disks and ten inch rear drums, that would match up to an early 70s midsize Ford with a V8 like a Mustang or Maverick. Choose manual or power to match whatever you plan.

100% Matt and Pist-n-Broke like this.
  6. bustingear

bustingear

The rear is out of 66 comet and the drums are 10"
    the fronts are disc and measure 11"
    Can someone give me an application that matches this?
    What size bore needed?

7. Danscig

Danscig

8" ford rear w/10" brakes, 11" Willwood fronts. 7" booster. I used a 1-1/8" for power brakes from Speedway. Works good.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
  8. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Generally, on manual brakes the master cylinder bore size should never be larger than 1”. Anything larger will give you a hard pedal by not providing enough hydraulic pressure.
    A smaller bore provides more pressure in the system.

sidevalve8ba likes this.
  9. Pedal pressure and bore size are directly related to Length of pedal travel and pedal pivot to pushrod ratio. The more you have the easier it is but takes more travel at the pad. Swing vers floor mount changes some of that. In a standard floor mount manual system and the brakes you listed I personally would go with the 1" bore with non booster system.
    The Wizzard

10. bustingear

bustingear

can someone give me an application for year model that will work with this?
    They are floor mount pedals
    Thanks

11. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm using a '70 Mustang disc/drum/with power 1" master cylinder on my '32, with 10" rear drums and 11" rotors/Wilwood 4-piston calipers on the front, along with '34 pedals. The Bendix/Ford power brake masters generally have a deep primary piston push rod bore that works better in non-power applications by safely containing the manual push rod.