Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage Speed Boats

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by Ryan, Sep 11, 2006.

1. jnaki

jnaki

View attachment 3665287

View attachment 3665288

View attachment 3665293 [/QUOTE]

upload_2017-10-25_16-45-5.png
    Hey CC,
    We used to watch the races at the Long Beach Marine Stadium when they had weekly and monthly boat races. Those races were very popular back then. Now, boat racing there is limited.

What a great name for a boat. Gohan Maru... Gohan is defined as “Rice” and Maru is the naming process of boats. The word Maru (丸 meaning "circle") is often attached to Japanese ship names. So, in slang, one could look at that speed boat and call it the Rice Boat… It is up to the owner/builder.

Jnaki
    PAST HISTORY IS ALWAYS INTERESTING:
    “Gohan Maru” Crackerbox:

“Gohan Maru stood for the restaurant that the boat was built for by the owner in 1948. It means “Rice Bowl” and was located in the Bakersfield area of So Cal. The boat had 3 owners and all 3 owners were friends of each other. I purchased the boat from the 3rd owner who states that they were friends with the original owner in ’48 when the boat was built. This is how we know the boat is a ’48, but would not have started racing until late 48 or early 49 when the merc came out on the market.

The boat could have had another motor in it in 48 and in 49 the merc was installed. But, there are no other motor plate holes in the wood to show another motor ever existed. It appears that only one set of motor mounts(which are still in the boat) are what the boat originally ran back then…”

2. 33 Ford Sedan Delivery

33 Ford Sedan Delivery
    from Fl

Taking it to FL, Daytona 500, "See Ya Real Soon"
    Water-5.jpg
    DSC_0765e.jpg

bajabob, treb11, Jalopy Joker and 5 others like this.
  3. flats

flats
    from Ohio

Transom Tuesday just to keep it alive. 59 Miller with 371 olds IMG_6985.jpg IMG_7044.jpg

4. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

Beautiful boat. Love to hear it run.

5. bad cad

bad cad
    from stone bank

6. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

I believe Miller continues to make boats as well as restorations. His wood deck hulls are stunning.

7. flyin-t

flyin-t

His 2 sons each have their own businesses, John does beautiful wood decks like this Howard showing off his major skills, and he even builds all wood hulls. The other brother, can't remember his name, has his own deal and I think that includes owning some of his dads molds.

howard_17.jpg

Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
  8. southerncad

southerncad

59 Turb.jpg
    Here's my 1959 Buehler Turbocraft, kinda of an odd duck, it was one of the first jet boats. The Y-block has been replaced with a SBC 327, and the interior upgraded a bit. It will turn in it's own length at speed....but not with me in it! 59 Turb.jpg buehler2.jpg buehler4.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
    flyin-t likes this.
  9. That's a beauty. What year is that?

10. DJCruiser

DJCruiser
    from CT

Somewhere in the vicinity of the New York Athletic Club.

11. bajabob

bajabob
    from socal

Anyone here into Stevens Flatbottoms??? I bought this boat for the Caddy motor and have no interest in the hull and was planning on scrapping it until I saw the pink slip!!!! Hull #000001. Still trying to determine exactly what it means??? It is rough but a couple of old wood boat guys said they had restored worse?? If I can not find a home fairly quickly, she will be kindling. IMG_2367.JPG IMG_2368.JPG IMG_2373.JPG IMG_2374.JPG

dana barlow and flyin-t like this.
  12. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

Very cool find. Suggest you contact Miller Boats to see if a restoration is even possible. I assume it had a wood deck at one time.

Thanks for sharing the pictures.

bajabob likes this.
  13. yellow dog

yellow dog
    from san diego

I presume you know who Harlan Orrin is in regards to restoration.

bajabob likes this.
  14. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

If you are asking me the answer is yes. Was not sure he was still doing restoration work or not, knew Miller was.

Yellow Dog tell us a bit about your hydro in your avatar.

15. upspirate

upspirate

Looks like the whole hull is wood....don't know if Stevens made all wood ones in early days. Prototype?

16. upspirate

upspirate

bajabob likes this.
  17. upspirate

upspirate

Here is a 24 page thread on Stevens....maybe some sources, info etc:
    https://www.screamandfly.com/showthread.php?96944-stevens-drag-boat

bajabob likes this.
  18. bajabob

bajabob
    from socal

Yes I know Harlan and have run this by him but he has plenty of projects for now. The suggestion is that this is one of two prototype fiberglass boats that Stevens built as they transitioned from all wood boats (late 50's) to fiberglass boats. It is built like a wood boat with a fiberglass shell. The pink slip says it is a 1960 Stevens. If I didn't already have a 1957 Wood Deck Campbell to work on (in similar condition) I would keep this but, she needs a home that will bring her back.

upspirate likes this.
  19. flyin-t

flyin-t

bajabob, I don't know how much time you want to invest in finding a buyer but here's a link to a Steven's thread over on performance boats forum in the v-drive section. There's a guy over there, Spike Morelli, that knows a lot about the history of Macks shop and I'm guessing that he'd love a chance of owning 000001...although Stevens did build all wood boats before that.

https://www.performanceboats.com/v-drives/128746-stevens-owners-10.html#post4481517

Last edited: Aug 28, 2018
    bajabob likes this.
  20. bajabob

bajabob
    from socal

Flyin
    Thanks for the intel, but I already checked in with Spike as well and he to has too many projects to take this on right now. I really was ok scappin it until I looked closer at the pink slip and now I am torn.... really hate to toss it but at the same time I get it that it is rough and would need lots of love. On the other side, Harln Orrin suggested that all the pattens are there and another old wood boat guy said he had restored several boats that were in much worse condition. I just dont have the room to store until the right guy comes along..... :(:(

Boatmark likes this.
  21. upspirate

upspirate

Flyin-t, funny, I did the same to Spike on Scream and fly

22. bajabob

bajabob
    from socal

On a side note, I found the Caddy motor thread and can not wait to get started on it for my old Campbell.

flyin-t and upspirate like this.
  23. upspirate

upspirate

Bajabob, share some pics of your Campbell/Cad build on this thread also

24. bajabob

bajabob
    from socal

Thanks for assist, I appreciate it. I would like to see this go to the right guy, no extra in it for me, I dove into the adventure for the motor anyways.... I did put four new tires on the trailer which I have the pink to as well.

upspirate likes this.
  25. bajabob

bajabob
    from socal

I will, I have creeped around here for awhile, just watchin and learnin me sum!!!! :):)

PS
    The deal came with a cool M/T bee hive oil cooler. I had never even seen one nor did I know what it was!!!!

upspirate likes this.
  26. pirate

pirate
    from Alabama

I believe the second pic is that of an Aristocraft. In my youth I lusted after those.one of the coolest wooden boats ever built.

bajabob likes this.
  27. upspirate

upspirate

First looks a lot like a Speedliner hull sad to see it with a trolling motor instead of a Mark55 or six cyl Merc.
    Second is most definitely an Aristo-Craft

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  28. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

More pics naked boat and washer 014.JPG naked boat and washer 035.JPG naked boat and washer 031.JPG naked boat and washer 020.JPG naked boat and washer 014.JPG naked boat and washer 014.JPG naked boat and washer 035.JPG naked boat and washer 031.JPG

flyin-t, upspirate and chryslerfan55 like this.
  29. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

Feathercraft meet in F freathercraft meet 002.JPG freathercraft meet 008.JPG freathercraft meet 013.JPG freathercraft meet 015.JPG ort Erie Ontario this past summer. I have a shell of one of these and will be hopefully buying a complete 56 in the coming weeks

Paul B, flyin-t, tractorguy and 2 others like this.
  30. flyin-t

flyin-t

Fedcospeed, that cruiser is bitchen! and I agree about leaving the top windshield off, it's much better looking without it.

I've looked for years for a Feathercraft Clipper here on the west coast. Guy in az has one for sale but his price for basically a bare hull is pie in the sky.