Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features 26 COOP's Trip to the Salt....High Sodium Diet IV

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Irishjr, Aug 7, 2018.

1. August 7, 2018

Thus begins my 4th journey from Kent Island on Maryland’s Eastern Shore to the Bonneville Salt Flats…...what I have called my “Rx: High Sodium Diet”. In 2006 and 2009 (HSD I and HSDII) I drove 33 COOP, my 1933 Plymouth with a 392 Hemi. I went out for Speed Week as a spectator, left my car in Denver at my daughter’s, and returned in September for the USFRA’s World of Speed for attempts at the 130 MPH Club for street driven cars (just to say I did it on the Salt) I made the 130 Club the second try. In 2012, I repeated the journey (HSD III) in 40 COOP, my chopped and channeled 1940 Ford, to meet up with Don Richardson’s Doug Rice Coupe, but only got to 114.3 mph with the 291 DeSoto Hemi.

I sold the racing tires out at the Salt and told my wife Judy that I was done doing road trips to Bonneville. However, Salt Fever is addictive…………..so here I am on High Sodium Diet IV. Back to Bonneville, One More Time.

Ready to go.jpg

In 2014, I purchased the foundation for 26 COOP (1926 Model T Ford) via the H.A.M.B. from Eric Hilchey, in Albuquerque, NM. Eric and friends had built the rolling chassis with a kind of ratted out body channeled over a homemade frame. No engine, tranny, or steering. Front suspension is 1940 Ford, non-dropped axle with split ‘bones, Model A spring, and ’56 F100 brakes….very traditional. Rear was 1961-62 Ford 9-inch rear with triangulated 4-bar suspension. I installed a rebuilt 3.90 third member and coil-over shocks.

27T.jpg

Earnest building began in 2015 and was fully completed yesterday!

The motivation comes through another Hemi…this one’s a 354 from a 1956 Chrysler that spent its entire life on Kent Island. The Denny family had a Chrysler dealership in Stevensville that closed in 1966. The car was the family transportation and was partially submerged a few years ago in flooding from hurricane Isabel, which destroyed the body. The transmission is a Tremec TKO 3550 5-speed that I bought used from a guy who replaced it with a TKO600 in his Mach I 428 CJ. Fitting 3 pedals in the narrow cowl was tricky. Steering is sprint-car-style using a 1966 Mopar box with an extended shaft.

Today, I am heading for central Ohio to pick up my saddle-mate Jim Siler. Jim and I both worked at Fairfield Engineering in Marion, Ohio (I started in 1972). Later we both became part of a new subsidiary, Fairfield Service Company, which was formed to design and manufacture wastewater treatment equipment. Jim was the Sales Manager, and I was the Chief Project Engineer. More about that and Jim later….

If all goes well today, we will be meeting some long-time friends for dinner at the G&R Tavern, in Waldo, Ohio and clogging arteries with their famous (notorious?) G&R Fried Bologna Sandwich.

If those of you reading this live within a shout of Waldo, OH, please feel free to join us at about 6 o'clock tonight.

Stay tuned….

Jim Ireland, AKA Irish Jr.

P.S. My daughter, Jill, and grandchildren, Sam and Lily, were with us in Maryland last week. Before they returned to Denver, I took photos of the kids in 26 COOP to compare with a pictures I took and used in the dailies in 2006 (HSD I):

DSC01068.JPG
    DSC02087.JPG
    Joe Cool with Grandpa.jpg
    DSC02089.JPG

Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
  2. Cliff Ramsdell

Cliff Ramsdell

I’m in for the ride, it’s gonna be tight in here but what the heck.

Looking forward to the trip.

Cliff Ramsdell

3. Jim -
    Very best wishes for a safe & uneventful trip there and back. You have a ''set''!
    We'll be looking for pics of your adventure!
    Went right by Kent Island on a fishing trip last month. Nothing like Chesapeake Bay Rockfish.

4. TOE

TOE

I haven't been on the HAMB much these days.

But I am following your journey. Thanks for sharing

5. brady1929

brady1929

6. 392

Cool adventure with a Hemi powered ride. Have fun.

7. Sounds like some great times and more to follow. This Marylander is envious.

8. May the road rise to meet you,
    May the wind be always at your back.
    May the sun shine warm upon your face, blah, blah, blah ...
    Happy trails.

9. Be safe, Jim. I'm looking forward to this cyber ride-along.

10. Good Luck Jim, your living the dream! Be safe, have FUN, and keep us posted. { love tha T }.:) Ron.....

11. MMM1693

MMM1693
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You did a great job on your build and putting the trip together! Happy trails and safe travels! Makes me think I should fire my coupe up, meet you in Des Moines and chase you out there. Take lots of pics and as you probably know the wind is never at your back in Wyoming! Again have fun and be safe.

i.rant, FortyNiner, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  12. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Have a safe trip and enjoy . Cool "T".

13. goldmountain

goldmountain

Good call on that wind cheating Bonneville 1" chop. Probably help lots at 200 mph.

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

14. I will look for you next week at Bonneville and stop to say hello if I see you.

15. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Have fun you two...ya done a number on that Hotrod...it looks fantastic @Irishjr

16. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Sounds like fun. I will buckle up for the ride. Please keep us posted. I hope you have a great ans safe time!

17. jchav62

jchav62

Sounds like a blast! Be safe... keep us posted.

18. Safe travels, replace the sand in your Eastern Shore shoes with SALT .

19. I will be following this! Safe travels Jim!

20. Best wishes, Jim, for a successful, uneventful, and FUN excursion!:cool::D Looking forward to the commentary on your daily activities.

21. Dan Greenberg

Dan Greenberg
    from Parker, CO

Jim, I'm going for my first time and look forward to seeing you there. You should be easy to spot. Safe travels my friend.

22. Safe travels, see you on the salt! I'll be in my <<<<yellow coupe.....

FortyNiner and loudbang like this.
  23. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Looks like a great time. Have a safe journey. Terrific before/after pics of the kids. Spend time with them, they grow up quick!

24. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

Hey, if you're driving near Canonsburg Pa. and you need anything, give me a call. 724 470 4827

loudbang likes this.
  25. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Have loved everything I’ve seen of this T and can’t wait to see the road trip!

What’s the route?

26. Livin the dream, safe trip.

27. Jethro

Jethro
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've been prescribed a high Sodium diet for the first time.......I'll be there too.....where are the all HAMBers going to meet up?

loudbang likes this.
  28. engine138

engine138
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Commack NY

Safe trip you salty dog you

loudbang likes this.
  29. A Boner

A Boner

Patiently waiting for some pics!

loudbang likes this.