Register now to get rid of these ads!

how hard is it to remove a 350 from an RV?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by snortonnorton, May 16, 2006.

1. snortonnorton

snortonnorton
    from Florida

there is an RV for sale for real cheap that does not run but has a v8 350 in it.

how hard is it to remove the engine? any different or easier than from a car?
    would i have to jack up a 76 holiday rambler or could i yank it all from the front of vehicle?

2. rodknocker

rodknocker

you pull the front clip,with tranny, a lot of work for a non running engine

3. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

At the price of gas, RVs that don't run are better.

4. shoebox72

shoebox72

Also. Keep in mind that the local junkyard isn't going to rush right over to take the RV carcass away.:( Mobile homes & RVs are hard to get rid of. Trust me.

Billy

5. snortonnorton

snortonnorton
    from Florida

yeah i figure that's why it's so cheap. (junk yards wont' take them)
    wait, i got an idea, i'll tell the junk yard the RV is pre 1965, don't they think anything that old is gold?

damn, well if it's alot of work to remove, i better think about it.

thanks for the headsup.

6. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Hey snorton forget about it too much headache.

7. If it was a big block it would be worthwhile. I've seen guys knock them apart into small chunks to get rid of them (last one I saw was a giant dog-chew toy in the yard for a while, the dog was literally trying to chew off the sides of it).

The body has a lot of wood in it usually, I was surprised when I saw one half torn apart and it was built more like a house than a motor vehicle. I think if the body had enough aluminum in it it might be worthwhile, but otherwise you'd have to knock the thing down to a frame and then maybe you can sell that for scrap.

If you're bored with nothing to do, it might be entertaining, but it is a lot of work for a 350.

8. 29 sedanman

29 sedanman
    from Indy

I was offered a RV motor and tranny cheap but passed after assesing the work involved.

9. Brother Bob

Brother Bob

I'll have to show you picks of my RV engine pull.
    440 , 727 TF in a 1975 Dodge executive motorhome 31'.
    We pulled the front bumper, made a engine cradle above it and suspended it, grabbed the torch and pulled my trailer in front of it 4 hrs it was out.
    RVs have a bunch of good stuff for HOT RODs in them, groovy shifters, gages, side steer columns, heavy duty everything and normally have very few miles. Go for it!
    BB

10. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

I used a back hole and knocked the body off...Burned the body...;) metal left for scrap yard...It was easy and fun..

11. Roadsters.com

Roadsters.com

After all that work and hassle, all you stand to gain is a '76 smog-motor.

Pass.

Dave Mann
    (602) 233-8400 weekdays
    http://www.roadsters.com/

12. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

I've pulled a number of 350 four bolt engines at the junkyard with no tech and little effort, completely removing one all the way to my car with only a little red wagon...from vans. I would assume this is basically a chevy van, with engine under dash?
    Remove doghouse, disconnect driveshaft. Unbolt the trans, maybe the X member, and let it drop...roll it out.
    Remove anything delicate you want to save, like distributor and carb, disconnect engine and just push it out back into the void where the trans was. THUMP. Jack up hulk, roll engine out. Disassemble into moveable lumps. Done did. Don't even need a hoist, shortblock can be lifted by two people, if you tear it down and remove crank and pistons you can move everything into a wagon yourself after an extra cup of coffee.
    Getting rid of the vehicle is a different can of worms...here comes the neighborhood beautification society, and they don't look happy!

13. triplexkustoms

triplexkustoms

just get a sawzall and the torch ready. its easy to pull a motor if you dont care about the body.

14. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Van type vehicles larger than 1/2 ton are the last great source of SBC goodies...they often have four bolt blocks, and the very heaviest may have forged cranks in both traditional and one piece seal flavor engines. This stuff is of little benefit for most uses, but adds flavor, coolness, and $$ value to the project. Get rid of the ridiculous round dish pistons in favor of D dish or flat ones and you have as good a piece as you'd find in a sixties vette or whatever.

15. MBog

MBog

I've done these numerous times. Remove the grill and rad & you'll see that they are built to be disassembled relatively easy from the front either with a short engine hoist (cherry picker) or jack the vehicle up to the right height. Good luck

16. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

throw the body away and use the chassis for a COE project. no need to pull the engine!

17. snortonnorton

snortonnorton
    from Florida

you're funny, thanks for the details man. I'll see if the guy is crazy enough to let me pay for it, come and mess with it, then leave the rest.. LOL

18. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

funny this post came up today I was just told about a 30+foot "motorhome "that a guy will pay 500$ for anyone to remove from where it is.it's an old fibreglass trailer that has had an Eldorado front section spliced on to make it a motorhome!it's gutted been a storage shed for a bunch of years just crap in plain english but,500$ to get a 500ci.cady drive line and a good begining on a car trailer [2AXLES]would be nice to get paid to scrap it. only one scrapyard will take it IF delivered but wants 750$ to do it AND it must be moved off the land by saturday or the guy is being fined 1000$per day!anyone taking his 500 is subject to the fines if not removed in time

19. $500 would pay for a generator and a sawzall, I'd be down there sawing up that thing into pieces and see if I couldn't put a big ol' towbar on the Eldo nose and drag that away in one big chunk.

20. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

normaly I would agree with you and believe me IF it were not for some of the circumstances involved that is exactly what I would be doing. Getting paid to remove the caddy stuff would be great and the trailer frame and axles are also a big bonus BUT this thing is trashed and cutting it up is the only way to get rid of it and if not totaly removed from the property TOMMORROW by noon whoever takes the guys 500$ faces a 1,000$ per day court imposed fine!the guy had 30 days to remove it and no junk dealer would take it this is a gutted 35 foot fibreglass camper from the sixties.the earliest I could start working on cutting it up would be saturday.Now IF ! I had been told about this a week or two ago I'd be all over it!I have a 65 corvair that caddy drive line would go in quite nicely