Register now to get rid of these ads!

1949-1951 mercury rear ends

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jville_hot_skater, Feb 27, 2011.

1. jville_hot_skater

jville_hot_skater
    from jville

im wondering if anyone knows a rear end i can find in the junk yard that would be a good direct "bolt in" application?
    im trying to save as much money as possible so that the less modifications i need to make the better.

2. jville_hot_skater

jville_hot_skater
    from jville

3. jville_hot_skater

jville_hot_skater
    from jville

there must be a later rear end out there thats a direct fit to the 1949-51 mercury

4. U-235

U-235

Yes there are....! any of the F1 half ton pick ups used the exact same...Dana 44
    direct bolt on....also they (Ford) used this rear end up into the 70s...rebuild parts should be readily available...good luck

5. the merc has the springs under the axle, the F1 has them over the axle.

6. streetrod man

streetrod man
    from oregon

1971-73 mustang ,61.25 wide 9'',center punken rear end.

7. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

IMHO ...
    the late 60's to 1972 F-100 9 inch is the best candidate.

The only fabrication is the spring pads.
    New ones need to welded under the axle tubes.

The advantage of the F-100 rear end is that you can keep your stock wheels and tires ... and the rear end is the same width as original.

The late 60's to 1972 F-100 rear end has self adjusting brake hardware and easy to find ( and pay for ) brake parts. A lot of the late F-100's are automatic ... so the gear ratios are more favorable for highway use.

[​IMG]

Most speed shops have the NEW weld pad sring pads for around 10 dollars each ... :D So the cost is low for the parts needed ( beside the rear axle ).

8. Krash Vegas

Krash Vegas

What about 72 - 74 Camaro or Nova 10 bolt rearends? Will they slide right in a 49-51 Merc?

9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

They will fit but you then have a different bolt pattern on the rear. You still have to swap spring pads as the Nova spring pads won't fit much of anything else as a direct bolt in deal.

I had an early Chevelle rear under my 51 but didn't cut the ears for the upper control arms off and they would hit the hump over the rear end at times when I had the trunk loaded and the kids in the back seat.

Krash Vegas likes this.
  10. Krash Vegas

Krash Vegas

Thanks! Bolt pattern not that big of a deal to me. Isn't there some easy GM front disc brake swap too?