Register now to get rid of these ads!

VW bus steering box in a hot rod??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fitzee, Nov 8, 2006.

1. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

I thought that's what those dirt track cars did anyway?! hahaha

dan31 and brEad like this.
  2. Crankhole

Crankhole

Can both pre and post '68 be used?

3. Rem

Rem

They used to be really popular over here, as they were relatively easy to find in scrap yards 20-30 years ago, and as has been said were easy to mount. They are now pretty expensive, to the point where if you have a good one it is probably worth selling to the Camper boys and buying a good Ford or GM one with the cash. I'm sure the pitman arm points up when using a RHD box in RHD setup, or LHD box in a LHD setup, so they are usually mounted below the frame (like a Mustang on a Model A frame). I always thought the aluminium sidecover was prone to corroding - especially if the Bus was up to its axle in mud like in most yards.

4. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Didn't I sell you a new one, Andy? ;)

5. I used a VW van box from the 70's. There are a couple of U joints under the dash to connect over to the steering wheel.

[​IMG]

6. That's what I'll be doing with the Mopar box....double U-jointed from wheel to box. I can't understand why most guys won't consider that as opposed to converting a box to center steering.

Attached Files:

7. I'm wondering if it is possible to reverse the rotation of a VW bus steering box (I need my pitman arm pointing down), it looks like you have done so. Please explain!!

8. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I have installed around 20 or so, 67 and older bus boxes over the years, I came upon one that turned the opposite way. It was in good shape so I used it building this roadster for a friend. Don't have a clue what it came out of. IMG_5977.JPG

9. I had the part number off of mine, but I don't remember what year it is from. I'll have to look it up again, but I want to say it's 1968 up. I know they aren't cheap to buy them new. As far as reversing the rotation, I don't think you can.

10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

According to this the early boxes are 55/67 and the late are 68/72. http://www.bus-boys.com/bb41556.htm
    That may be due to the change to a collapsible column in 68 though.
    I had an early box in my T bucket with the box mounted to the bottom side of the frame. Pitman arm ran up. The box was several inches behind the firewall with the drag link running though a hole in the cowl. Not sure I'd ever run another one though.

11. I have no first hand experience with this, but I'd explore right hand drive parts. You might be able to get a worm gear that's wound the opposite way or something like that??? That was my plan with an F1 box I was going to mount under the frame, until I figured out it wouldn't fit. Can't remember why now...

12. Anyone know where to get parts for the early bus boxes? The one in my coupe(avatar) is getting sloppy...needs sector shaft bushings and worm shaft bearings.
    Have done some online searches, but not much luck so far.

13. morac41

morac41

Hi... They were popular here in Australia 30-40 years used them in T buckets

14. Harland grunder

Harland grunder

did it in 1970

15. adam401

adam401

I was big into VWs for years and it's funny then it was hard to find a good used steering box for a split bus for reasonable money. I've found a million good f1 boxes reasonably priced. Splitty bus boxes are good steering boxes. The ones I saw wrecked were always from people adjusting them way too tight and wiping them out.

16. weldingart

weldingart

Pardon my ignorance, but what is an F1 box, and is it for left or right hand drive ?
    Thanks

17. An F1 is a Ford 1/2 ton truck, 1948-1952.
    Both.

18. bucketmouth

bucketmouth
    from Australia

I used a pre 68 here in Oz on my bucket,easy to mount,the steering box angle could be adjusted inside the mounting bracket. Mine is mounted on the bottom inside of the chassis and the pitman arm comes outside the chassis. The pitman arm faces down and to
    align it to the steering arm I couldn't change the length of any arms. Hence the steering is slow and the steering lock not the best. The steering column is nearly straight up and down but luckily the steering wheel is round so no worries turning the wheel. It steers straight but contrary to what some else said you can't find a good one anymore that doesn't require some repair. Would I use another one,not today but 40 yrs ago it was ok.

Attached Files:

19. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm late to the party on this but there are companies that deal strictly with early VW bus parts and that would be the go to source. I didn't check to see if these guys sell the parts but they do rebuild them https://www.jbugs.com/product/211415049C.html
    A bit of searching didn't bring up individual parts outside of seals and the top bearing for the column.

20. butch27

butch27

I,ve got one of those in great shape with the pitman arm, didn't know what is was??
    Sell it for $150. How do I place it in For Sale ??