Register now to get rid of these ads!

Re.Ryan Your Coop Story

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by paperdog, May 16, 2006.

1. THE PIC SHOWS HIM AS LEFTHANDED....
    LEFT HANDERS USE THE RIGHT BRAIN LOBE....
    I HAD A EYE INJURY (26 YEARS AGO)AND AM FORCED TO USE THIS LOBE TOO... IT DOES MAKE A DIFFERENCE WE DON'T THINK THE SAME AS MOST FOLK.
    ART IS A FLEETING GLIMPSE OF A MOMENTARY SELECTED THOUGHT PROCESS.

:rolleyes: LOOK UP SINISTER IN MOST DICTIONARY'S ..
    IT STATES .. COMING FROM OR DERIVED FROM THE LEFT...

2. VonMoldy

VonMoldy
    from UTARRGH!

turn off caps lock .

3. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Yeah I guess it means that you have to shout alot....

4. EXCUSE ME its the whole chat etiquet that slows down my poor typing ability... its also easier for my eyes to read

5. hey, give the guy a break, maybe its his other lobe is talking :)

6. Tha Driver

Tha Driver
    BANNED
    from S.E. USA

It's a LOT harder for everyone else to read. ;^P
    "ART IS A FLEETING GLIMPSE OF A MOMENTARY SELECTED THOUGHT PROCESS"? I don't quite follow that logic. I'm an artist: I build custom cars. There's nothing fleeting or momentary about the thought process that I go through to design body mods.
    ~ Paul
    aka "Tha Driver"

More children drown in buckets & pails every year then are accidently shot with a firearm.

7. I guess "momentary" is subjective... A moment could be 30 years, or 1/2 a second....

Can somebody find a way to use the word "glimpse" without "fleeting" in front of it?

8. Kev Nemo

Kev Nemo

I don't know. As an artist, my 'selected thoughts' bug the shit out of me until I make them material; looks like the same thing applies to Coop (big women, the devil,etc.) and every other artist. I wish the process was that instantaneous. Then again, the process of getting it out there is half the 'art' of 'art'.
    my .02...

9. Mutt

Mutt

Art Who?

I had an Uncle named Art. (But I don't think he was an artist.)

Mutt

10. kenagain

kenagain
    from so cal

like in father where art thou maybe
    Ken

11. tinmann

tinmann

I saw just a glimpse when she crossed her legs.

12. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

Visit Coop's blog...it is interesting and so are the links (to say the least). Plus his 2 new Hotwheels cars are super cool!

13. Yea ugly glimpse. That would be a quick mean look.:D

I don't know if I count as an artist, and I don't know if I understand this whole left brain right brain thing. I'm ambidextrous so I guess i'm logical when I'm useing one hand and flippant when using the other???

I do know that alot of my best idea come and go real fast and if I don't pay attention and then ponder the thought it will be lost until the next time it comes around, or forever whichever comes first.

The hard part is sorting though all the thoughts. Once I tried to do everything the voices in my head said, then I discovered that there just isn't that much time.

14. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

SWEET! He mentioned me as helpful in the inspiration of his '29 Sedan. I'm a left-handed automotive artist as well- doubly evil that I also have blue eyes! ;)

15. KIRK!

KIRK!

I caught a glimpse...

The book was a glimpse into the life of...

The prisoner longed for just one glimpse of...

16. my thought at the time was when viewing art you are getting a ... snapshot of the artists idea.held for amoment for others to see.. possibly understand?.. some art work it may take years to do or is never finished (like our cars)
    right lobe is creativity and left lobe is controled
    tis why most folk are right handed and right eye dominant

righties try shooting a gun/rifle or pool or signing your name with the left hand.. then being forced to do it the rest of your life
    i pick out leftie's work easily now

ive been fightin this since gettin the lefty scissers in grade school(sat on the end of the row)
    not wanting to be singled out or different...
    i enjoy it now
    i like cars that are a little askew:rolleyes:

17. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I've taken a lot of heat through PMs about me comparing Coop to Roth. I thought I would clarify myself here...

I do think Coop could very well end up being a sort of pop icon like Roth. Will he be "my" icon... No. I think he is an excellent artist, but he doesn't serve as an inspiration to me really at all. In fact, those devil stickers and shit of that sort annoy the piss out of me when I see them on hot rods.

Lets not forget how mainstream Roth was at certain times in his career. When characters are in the mainstream "phase", it is hard to think of them as a future icon. But I don't know if there are any "icons" that didn't have those mainstream/annoying periods of their careers...

I guess I don't consider icons all that much as inspiration. The historical people that inspire me with hot rods and media are more personal to me. In no particluar order:

- My dad
    - H. Westerguard
    - D. Spencer
    - Parnelli Jones
    - Sam Barris
    - Mario Andretti
    - Wally Parks
    - Stuart Hilborn
    - and a shit load of others...

18. Django

Django
    from Chicago

I read the blog, and I read the editorial.

I read the comparison and I think it is somewhat of a fair comparison graphically speaking and when thinking of the design and marketing involved. Sure Coop doesn't build the stellar cars that Roth did, but take that element away, and there's not much difference for each artist's era.

19. KIRK!

KIRK!

That must be the group I'm in! :D

20. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

You joke, but...

21. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

He is very good at marketing his product,,,,,,,or at least Satan is.

22. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

I would love to have been the proverbial fly on the wall when the Hot Wheels deal went down with him. How did Coop score that deal exactly?

"Yes sir Mr. Coop, we have reviewed your work and it looks like you definitely have something we're interested in marketing to the "3 and up" crowd. Your pseudo underground pop culture status is undeniable. Your use of color is fantastic. The nice bold lines and comic book style will translate nicely to the process we use to apply graphics to the cars. If we could just have your signature here, sir we can get the ball rolling." (cold, limp handshake)

"Oh, and one more thing if you don't mind. Just this once could you please try to not draw fat naked hillbilly girls, nuns with dildos, and robots buttfucking green alien women? Thanks. Can't wait to get this paperwork to legal and get this underway."

23. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

hahahahahaha

24. I got a buddy at work... Mexican guy... 'Nam vet'... comic book nut... and a fan of Betty Page.

I told him one day... "Hey Joe, if you like Betty Page... you should go to this car show over in Antioch some time with me, the place is CRAWLING with chicks that dress all sleezy like Betty Page."

He says to me: "No shit? You mean to tell me there are girls that dress like her?"

I said "Yea... black hair, bangs... red high heels, fish net stockings... fat ones, skinney ones... tall ones short ones... they'll be all over that car show"

He says "I wanna go!"

Sam.

25. a/fxcomet

a/fxcomet
    from Eugene, OR

He must be an OK guy, because he collects Plomb tools too :)

26. notebooms

notebooms
    Alliance Member

Coop is an old neighbor of mine from when I lived down in the East Hollywood / Silverlake area of LA. I think he's a great guy, and I enjoy some of his work (the Satan stuff is nice, and the girlie work would be better if he put them on a bit of a diet...)

I guess many folks wont appreciate him until he's dead or many years past-- as it's so punk rock to hate success that occurs during current times....

-scott noteboom

27. Kev Nemo

Kev Nemo

My father is Art, but he's not much of an artist:D