Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Pictures from San Diego Raceway at Ramona early 60's

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lumpy 63, Jul 30, 2018.

1. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I have followed Hugh and that car since the early 60's. His son was the driving force behind getting it restored to the later version, when he switched from Olds to Chrysler power. IMG_0163.JPG

2. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

Thats were I saw the car in person , Hugh was really happy to see the Ramona photo I gave him a smaller pic I had ...And yes I called him Hugh:oops: still embarassed about my screw up earlier...Such a nice guy!

hendelec likes this.
  3. Metaltwister

Metaltwister
    Member Emeritus

Oh yeah! Back in the day there was another drag strip in San Diego in Paradice Hills. Always enjoyed Ramona more for some reason. Thanks for the pics! Neat memories.

hendelec and Deuces like this.
  4. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Thanks. I did a GoogleMaps search of Ramona, Ca, and saw a "parallel" strip of asphalt at that airport; that was most likely the drag strip, although it is seriously deteriorated. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

hendelec and lumpy 63 like this.
  5. Lou kriger

Lou kriger

Was this picture taken @ Famosa? Looks like the Grove.

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

6. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

Yes thats the Grove at Famoso during the Ca Hot Rod reunion.

hendelec, Deuces and Lou kriger like this.
  7. Lou kriger

Lou kriger

37/or38 Chevy in your avatar? Thanks for the find on the slides. It’s all about the history. I’m on the right Coast but a lot of the history is left Coast.

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

hendelec likes this.
  8. Well now, ain't that just the sweetest li'l thing! :D

Great job on the scans. :cool: Thanks for taking the time to share.

Deuces and Stogy like this.
  9. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

Its a 37 , not quite done but fun as hell to drive . Hopped in and drove it to CHRR two years ago with only 99 miles on the odo, Tunnel rammed 400 sbc 5 spd tremec . Made it with no hiccups except on the way home when it rained going thru LA...No side windows:eek: Thats the trip when I talked to Hugh Tucker and Tommy Ivo and got there autographs on the Ramona pics.

hendelec, Deuces, Stogy and 1 other person like this.
  10. Lou kriger

Lou kriger

Get her finished. Lots of fun to be had. This is my 60’s survivor. East Coast or West Coast...we are Blessed to be able to tool around. IMG_0490.JPG IMG_0493.JPG Roll it easy my friend.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

enloe, hendelec, quick85 and 4 others like this.
  11. The Show Boat, not the "Barnstormer". Barnstormer was Tom's first fuel Chrysler.
    [​IMG]

enloe, hendelec, lumpy 63 and 3 others like this.
  12. Those pics are nice.

Deuces likes this.
  13. theamcguy

theamcguy

Great pictures, Thank you for posting.

Deuces likes this.
  14. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

What was it called after he put the wagon body on it?

Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
    hendelec likes this.
  15. B Ramsey

B Ramsey

Nice mural in town at tire shop: dragster-mural-ramona.jpg

GuyW, hendelec, quick85 and 2 others like this.
  16. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

very Cool - Thanks

17. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Riviera Wagon-Master.

lumpy 63 likes this.
  18. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Fantastic pics, thanks for posting.

19. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2018-7-31_9-19-0.png
    Hey B,
    That is a very nice mural. In real life, it looks is outstanding. But, in reading another site for information about old dragsters, the mural is not historically correct. The Magicar/Astro FED never ran at Ramona.

"But don’t let that piece of incorrect trivia overshadow the fact that the mural exists! It’s new. And it reminds young and old of what went on at good old Ramona Raceway." B.Pitts

Jnaki
    Artists put their skills to create a significant mural. It draws peoples attention to the fact the we all love drag racing and it went on in all parts of So Cal, as well as elsewhere. Kudos to the artist.

But, if you want to hear what the Magicar/Astro FED sounds are like, here is a sample:

MAGICAR/ASTRO FED

DAYLIGHT FLAMES WITH A POWERFUL MIXTURE. IT WAS IN THE AIR !!!

TURN IT UP !

Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
    hendelec and Budget36 like this.
  20. The wagon body was put on it after it was sold to Ron Pelegrini. Ron did exhibitions with it, and called it the "Rivera Wagonmaster".

hendelec and lumpy 63 like this.
  21. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

Saw Magicar run at last Del Mar Goodguys, sounded really good ! Right at the end when they were shutting it down it appeared to have broken off the crank snout:( felt really bad for Mr. Pitts.

22. Metaltwister

Metaltwister
    Member Emeritus

Just an FYI... the artists name is Dave Yabara, a local old school sign painter and as if you couldnt tell he is a hotrod guy. Sold him a Model A truck body and seat frame for it a while back. Nice guy and motorhead through and through! Just for the record...

hendelec and jnaki like this.
  23. Impressive mural! But the "railbirds" in the background appear to be standing on the wrong side of the fence. :oops: After he finished signing his name to it I hope he went back and finished painting in the rest of the top fence rail so it appeared to be in front of the spectators.

24. 34bob

34bob

Is the car in post # 7 the Hawaiian?

25. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Maybe they where ghosts of lost drag race spectators...good eye @ClayMart. As an artist I would be having a head in the sand moment fixing that one...:D

hendelec likes this.
  26. tltony

tltony
    from El Cajon

The painter, David Ybarra does a lot of work for me..I'll let him know all of your concerns :)

27. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

That is one of my favorite shots in the group. When I was reading the posts of dragster on the wall , Dode said that Rolands car was heavily Chromed. It appears to be very clean and painted the appropriate color. The friendly one finger salute Is pretty cool too.

hendelec likes this.
  28. I certainly don't have the experience to really critique Mr. Ybarra's work. But looking at the photo something kept drawing my eye, for the wrong reason, to those spectators in the background. It seemed like at most dragstrips they should be behind the railing. I thought maybe it was because I could only see this photograph and not the actual mural. Then after a little more studying I noticed how all their feet lined up on the ground, but the vertical fence posts appear to be too long and look like they enter the ground in front of all the feet. Try as I might, my brain couldn't make the perspective work out.

My apologies to Mr. Ybarra if I've stepped on his toes. But I've painted myself into similar situations on lesser art projects than this. When you're occupied with painting a lot of smaller details it's easy to sometimes overlook the "big picture". :rolleyes:

hendelec and Stogy like this.
  29. sololobo

sololobo

amazing pix. thanx for sharing

lumpy 63 and hendelec like this.