Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Numbers on doors and...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chili Phil, Jul 30, 2018.

1. Special Ed

Special Ed

This is a TRADITIONAL HOT ROD and CUSTOM forum with a cut-off year and everything else well spelled out for anyone who might care to read and comprehend the rules. If we don't attempt to point out what is, and what isn't actually traditional to those who ask, or are uncertain, who's gonna tell 'em?
    This isn't about critiquing or hating or intolerance. It's simply about respecting tradition. It seems pretty basic to me ... but what do I know? :confused:

2. 1pickup

1pickup

Man, some of you guys just need to kick back with a couple PBRs. Just be happy there is someone else out there who wants to have an old car. It could be worse. He could be painting it monochrome turquoise, doing the "fast & furious" style, or putting it on a 4X4 chassis. To quote a great American: "Lighten up Francis."

3. No, 1pickup, I'll have a locally brewed Barrelhouse IPA. PBR is the beer for guys with numbers on their doors. Maybe even some spider webs.

4. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I do believe it also is conveyed that if your ride doesn't quite meet the Traditional criteria it is inspired and belongs here 'The Hokey Ass Message Forum'. So yes it is pretty basic but your missing an important part of the big picture. Again it also highlights a divide between Inspired and Traditional even though the Welcome Mat is always open with strings of course.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2018
    05snopro440 likes this.
  5. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We post and showcase our rides here and there is critique, joking, comradery, agreement, disagreement all in a non combative respecting way.

Critiquing is an element of what the Hamb functions on.

I don't see a problem with it until it starts sinking to belittling, negative stereotyping and name calling. I believe those moderating also really are no different and really don't like to have to intervene but sometimes things just are destined for the Doghouse.

6. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think rather than calling out those that like to artistically imitate in error perhaps unknowingly or in innocense in a completely Hambworthy way it would again be beneficial to have a thread on correct Gasser Markings and Graphics. Then those that build pseudo interpretations can glean in a positive way what is correct and it will always be a personal decision on the art or details applied by the builder and or owner.

7. Keep your ipa’s, I’m gonna down a pbr right now....

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. Dago 88

Dago 88
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You are a tuff audience, I have deleted both. And yes it is a 99A

9. ^LOL, I don't always drink beer but when I do its PBR, stay haughty my friend.;)
    Jonathan_Goldsmith_2009.jpg

BradinNC, 1pickup, deadbeat and 2 others like this.
  10. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

Ed, you are absolutely correct. Its obvious that what I thought in my head was not what was written. Didn't mean to cause a shitstorm. I just have to convey my message better.

Dean Lowe, Special Ed and 31hotrodguy like this.
  11. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Shouldn't have your work is inspired as are the Hotrod's...completely acceptable on the Hokey Ass Forum...post on @Dago 88...;)

I enjoy the inspired visions and otherwise you share here. I don't like electric fans either but they are run here on inspired Hotrods and Customs and provide relief to vulnerable vintage engines in severe conditions...I have even seen them on true bonafide vintage survivors no doubt protecting the million dollar acquisition at events where they are brought and run.

zzford, deadbeat, j hansen and 3 others like this.
  12. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I have done forgot what the fuss was all about now?
    Smoking or non smoking?
    Cream or sugar?
    Coffee or tea?

Sounds like a bunch of 5 year olds arguing on the playground.
    Sometimes I wonder why I even come here anymore, geesh....:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

zzford, Cosmo49, BJR and 1 other person like this.
  13. Dago 88

Dago 88
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for your support "Stogy", been an alliance member on here for 11 years. I'm outer here!!

Stogy likes this.
  14. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There is always rough water but there's way more smoother water which makes for better sailing overall. Your Avatar is a rocker as well. Take a break but never let the lesser negatives outweigh the larger positives.

wraymen, 31hotrodguy and Dago 88 like this.
  15. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

Only one beer?!!

31hotrodguy and deadbeat like this.
  16. You say potayto, I say potahto, let's call the whole thing off!!

Cosmo49 likes this.
  17. You ought to see my blue eyed Sally.

18. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT JUST DON'T LOOK!!! QUITCHYURBITCHN!!!

zzford likes this.
  19. deadbeat

deadbeat

it actually led to a few more, cigars and great story telling from the teacher himself

20. mountainman2

mountainman2

I have never put a number on a car to make it look like a race car. However, at this point in life, I am considering putting an odd number on one car and an even number on the other. Big ole numbers! Then each day I can look at the calendar and drive the even numbered car on the even numbered days and the odd on the odd days. This will solve my problem of remembering to drive both cars an equal amount.
    So, when you see numbers on my cars, don't flame me too badly. Instead, help an old man remember where in the hell I left my keys! :(

21. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

Was just watching a movie on netflix about P47 thunderbolts, Seems like all the pilots had the planes decorated to their own individual tastes . Different color numbers different nose art....Huh , maybe they brought this home with them?

05snopro440 and 31hotrodguy like this.
  22. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Now, that was tacky, Kid. LOL

23. Terrible80

Terrible80

Maybe a calender on the door.

Sent from my LG-TP450 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Dean Lowe and Chili Phil like this.
  24. Did anyone else stop to think that the D/G on the door might have been the owners initials? (or his late fathers?)
    Lots of folks here could make a killing by shoving coal up their ass and shitting diamonds the next day!

TrailerTrashToo and zzford like this.
  25. zzford

zzford

Frankly, I don't give a damn one way or the other about what others want to do. I feel the same way about those people that insist that everything on their car must be "correct". Be it exactly like it came from the factory or "period correct" hot rods. As a VERY long time rodder, in the old days, we used to look at restorers as being rather sissy about their insistence on using only "correct" parts. All of this crap is far too anal for me.

05snopro440, pila38, HunterYJ and 4 others like this.
  26. Rich S.

Rich S.

Maybe it stands for Dirt/Gravel

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

27. Notice name on door. Should read :
    ABSOLUTE
    no clue
    GASSERS

Fake, modern wheels, no hood, too low on designation, most likely. That's just what we can see from here.

Dean Lowe likes this.
  28. Beaten to death.
    Some guys have no clue about real gassers or anything about drag history for that matter. You either care about tradition or not.
    They weren't around, even older guys can spout nonsense, some well meaning, some just loudmouths.
    BUT, it comes down to nobody cares anymore, that's the consensus here." do what you want." It's the passing of time, the 60's were a long time ago, fewer racers survive every year.

Nobody is suggesting Federal legislation about this, but guys here once cared about tradition and getting it right.
    Some no longer care, now it's "I will do whatever I want!". The HAMB still is full of nice builds, but history now seems to be a matter of opinion, not fact, endless "commentary" and humor and never hurting feelings.Ever read the OLD HAMB?LOL
    I don't care, but the HAMB was about tradition.....and getting it right. Times change.
    Just makes us old guys laugh.
    Yeah, the term zoomies came about in the 1970's!
    NOTHING wrong with asking, but some of us remember 64-65, some have it in print, but some out there STILL JUST AREN'T SURE, maybe it was the 90's! Jeeeeez!
    LOL
    Maybe we should just vote on everything!
    Tradition and history is the most popular!

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
    Special Ed, Sancho and lurker mick like this.
  29. Well, if the HAMB is for "Spreading the Gospel..." it's a pretty damned weird gospel. I loved gassers, until they became 4 door Buicks, on straight axels and crew cab trucks. I liked seeing class designations, until they became, "maybe his father's initials?". Inspired cars? Stop that shit. Gospel means Truth. You guys are spreading something, that's certain. But, it ain't gospel.

30. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

Preach on Phil, I’m following the same sermon you are...