Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Whats the thoughts on a duel res. master cylinder?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rusty rocket, Aug 4, 2018.

1. squirrel

squirrel

You can buy a brake pedal set up to use two master cylinders, so you can easily adjust the brake bias by moving the bar....

It's fun watching how folks decide what risks are acceptable, and which are not. Facts don't have much to do with it.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2018
    Dan Hay, Bearcat_V8, bobss396 and 4 others like this.
  2. Latigo

Latigo

The only skid marks are on your undershorts!

dirty old man likes this.
  3. Used Up Junk

Used Up Junk
    from Merced, CA

I’ve had two total brake failures with a single chamber master cylinder. One was a NEW wheel cylinder that failed, the other was a NEW brake shoe return spring that failed. I don’t have a single chamber master in anything my Wife and I own anymore. Do yourself, your family and everyone else on the road a favor go with a dual chamber setup. You can make them look right and still be safe.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2018
  4. That's the best one I've heard in a while, agree or not.

cavman and dirty old man like this.
  5. F@ck it I’m buying a Volvo. Damn these old dangerous cars!

Hnstray, RMR&C and Bandit Billy like this.
  6. 5window

5window

Well, clearly not everyone agrees (surprise), but you can't quote this as a statistical analysis because you have no way of documenting how many deaths there would be without almost everyone having dual master cylinders.Of course, every life matters, but it would be a shame if there were 400001 deaths and the 1 was you.

7. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sadly, this is true in so many ways today... Jim, thank you for mentioning this.

8. KustomKreeps

KustomKreeps

Your life on the line. Or your responsibility for who ever you let sit behind the wheel.
    For me I would go duel MC.
    Been in a car where the single MC failed due to a lack in maintenance. "Fuck sorry dude I checked the fluid on my yearly Spring hot rod maintenance day"
    Said late summer/early Autumn after quick down chop of the gears and hand brake moment as we powered around an intersection with a red light on the highway.

Bandit Billy and dirty old man like this.
  9. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

just remember.... a period correct master cylinder if you wreck is not going to give you period correct repair costs, your own body period correct medical costs and with litigation sure will not be period correct restitution. If you think that little of yourself , your family, others as well as your investment then go period correct :( . Why do you think Ryan supports current safety upgrades.

Hnstray and dirty old man like this.
  10. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

The feel of steel from toe to wheel.....

11. BJR

BJR

A guy I knew read that 89% of all accidents happen within 7 miles of your home........ So he moved.:p

Hnstray, wraymen, bobss396 and 6 others like this.
  12. 60 Special

60 Special
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Omaha Ne.

You could also mount a duel master up under the dash and mount a single (fake one) on the firewall. It would still look period correct and probably no one would ever know it. As they used to say in the old days "more than one way to skin a rabbit".

seb fontana likes this.
  13. cavman

cavman

I can site 2 memorable brake failures from my younger days. One with a tragic ending. The other, everyone made it home. What other people do is up to them, I will shoot for safety everytime. I honestly don't know why it was even asked.

Hnstray, 41rodderz and dirty old man like this.
  14. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

"The security of steel from pedal to wheel" was Ford's answer to the new-fangled hydraulic brake systems offered as standard equipment by his competitors. The old style mechanical brake systems did not fail, at least not hydraulic failure. He had a point, but the rest, as they say, is history.

15. squirrel

squirrel

half the cars sitting in our "parking" garage right now have single pot master cylinders. One of them is a Volvo! (544) And the Volvo, which has been in the family since 1972, suffered a serious wreck in 1980. It was rearended.

Pist-n-Broke and scotty t like this.
  16. By the way it’s dual as in two, not duel as in a fight!
    Half of you guys must want to fight your brakes! Lol

Last edited: Aug 4, 2018
  17. It is 12 (1962) years too new but why not use the Rambler master cylinder.

upload_2018-8-4_18-54-53.png

KustomKreeps, squirrel and scotty t like this.
  18. If you could replace the plastic caps that would be a great choice

19. ray

ray
    from colorado

as someone who daily drives nothing but old cars, and more importantly, someone who drives on the road with others who are NOT in old cars, i cannot imagine NOT running a dual MC. have you ever noticed how many people feel the need to cut off or get in front of you in your old car? nobody understands what that few extra feet of following distance is there for.

if you insist on running a single MC, part of your periodic routine should be mashing the brake pedal to the floor as hard as you can once in a while, preferable when the car is not moving.

Hnstray and Unkl Ian like this.
  20. squirrel

squirrel

Driving technique is part of it....

Flat Six Fix, Truck64 and scotty t like this.
  21. BJR

BJR

We already have fake motors/ valve covers, fake blowers, fake injectors, fake lakes pipes, fake moon tanks, we don't need fake master cylinders.

22. Everyone else on the road has 4 wheel discs and ABS....

bobss396 and dirty old man like this.
  23. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

Usually if the brake lines rust out, the parking brake cable was rusted solid too. Usually you become aware of rusted brake lines when you have a panic stop and apply more pedal pressure than normal.

24. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Don't you guys check your car over every now and then?
    The single master has work great and lasted long time, why change it.

egads and Robert J. Palmer like this.
  25. southcross2631

southcross2631

Ran 9's with this dangerous ride. Dreaded 4 wheel drum brakes and a Ford fruit jar single master cylinder. Made thousands of passes in it on all kinds of back woods tracks and never failed to stop. faded memories.jpg

26. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

In all my experience with cars with single master cylinders , they don't just fail instantly:eek: In my experience the pedal will start to sink at a stoplight etc. At that point I check fluid levels , brake cylinders and lines. I don't just keep driving and ignore the issue. At this point in time all my cars have dual res. masters, but I have no issues driving a car with a single res. master.

thomas.parker197 likes this.
  27. 5window

5window

I don't know about S.Dakota where the OP is posting from, but it would be wise to check DMV regulations. Other than "antique car " registrations. you're not going to get a street rod/hot rod past inspection in PA with a single MC.

Bandit Billy likes this.
  28. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I run dual circuit master cylinders in everything I build.

I fight duels with swords or pistols, whenever I am dishonoured.

29. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

The defence of one's honour is valourous, but hearkening back to a manoeuvre like that, an artefact really, will likely put you in gaol.

Hnstray and Truckdoctor Andy like this.
  30. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That would be an apprehension dependency.

Hnstray likes this.