Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1957 Corvette M/SP Project

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Baron, Jun 7, 2013.

1. jammer

jammer

Baron , Car looks great w/ the Cragars & Piecrusts . Really accents the big & little look , what size are those tires ? Any news on the axle ? Bob......

Baron likes this.
  2. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Was good to see you at Rhinebeck Baron, I saw a lot of old friends there. Would have liked to meet Doug Jounis, were is he from? Maybe at the Dover Race at Lebanon Valley in Sept.

Pat

Attached Files:

3. catdad49

catdad49

Wow, now there's a Great story! Thanks, Baron and Doug!!

Baron and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  4. Please remind Mr Jounis that it is not too late to put those stock parts back in the boxes and re-do the Hayseed! Either way it's awesome that he has held on to it for so long and obviously taken great care of it.

Baron, loudbang and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  5. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

After wrestling with the height of the front end since I built it, I finally called Bill Carlson ( WAC Customs in CT )a few months ago and he made me a new 2 inch dropped axle. Once I got the axle from him, measured up the old axle to figure out the caster angle and spacing, got the pads welded on and than sent it off to be plated. Got it back last week and installed it last Friday, had the front end aligned, and I finally have the car sitting at the height I originally hoped for. And thanks to Bill for making quality axles that the alignment specs are right on the money. Corvette 7 30 18 d.jpg 20180727_095209.jpg

6. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Two inch dropped axle.
    Corvette dropped axle.jpg

Straight axle Corvette with Cragars 4 27 18 bw.jpg

7. noboD

noboD

That sits Purrfect. Really looks good.

8. Lookin' good, stance matters.

Baron, Bowtie Coupe and loudbang like this.
  9. jimdillon

jimdillon

I agree the stance is much better IMO. Looks great.

10. loudbang

loudbang

Looks better with the new axle :)

Bowtie Coupe, Baron and enloe like this.
  11. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Good going Baron, it look's great. Are you coming to the "Dover Nostalgia Drags" in Sept. Hotel rooms are filling up.

Pat

Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
    loudbang, Bowtie Coupe and Baron like this.
  12. Cosmo49

Cosmo49

God. I love that car.

loudbang and Baron like this.
  13. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hi Pat. Great seeing you. Going to try to make Lebanon Valley if possible. Hope to see you there if we go.
    Baron

loudbang likes this.
  14. Did you narrow the 57 rear end? Stock vette is about 60 inches, flange to flange and and the 57 Olds rear end I have is 62. Have Moser axles in it with a P trac.

15. My 57 still has the original "TRACTION MASTERS" on it for the 60s. It still has the weld in scatter shield that was legal in the 60s. Its a factory Fueler and need front glass worked, tow bar broke in 62 and cratered the front. I have just let it set since less the 327 that we had in its, was NEW then.

scotty t, swade41, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  16. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The 57 Olds rear end is stock width and measures about 61 inches wide, axle flange to axle flange (outside drum to drum). Tires stick out just a touch, which is the look I was after. The Cragars have a 1/2" more back space than the Torq Thrusts that were on it in this picture. 20160621_191417_resized.jpg

Last edited: Apr 2, 2019
  17. Thanx, have been saving this rear end for years. We had it under a 53 Stude gasser years ago. After watching your thread, am tempted to do like you have. What brand are your fender well headers? Thanx again I had a 60 veto with a 427 BBC and Cal 4 speed hydro in 67/68. Will see if I can find some pics of it. It was in 68 issue of Hot Rod when they did the Polar Dragway coverage in Alaska.
    DEC 67 ISSUE, Polar Dragway, Palmer Alaska. Pic of my 60 A/MSP and 64 StingRay tow car. More engine tuning!!

Last edited: Aug 4, 2018
  18. Cosmo49

Cosmo49

Not apologizing, just couldn't help myself...

19. jimdillon

jimdillon

Baron I was in my shop and saw this thread so I measured my axle housings. I have a stock width that is supposedly out of a 58 and two Pontiac housings I bought from Jim (Vetrod) that are allegedly stock width. From outside of housing flange to outside of housing flange on the Corvette and Pontiac housings are all in the 55" range. We (including Jim who has done this stuff in his sleep) had a discussion on this in the Corvette gasser thread (post 680) and I believe 55ish is correct-housing flange to housing flange. Maybe 61" is installed axle flange to axle flange?? For whatever it is worth. Your car Baron looks good from every angle-of course.

Daveydeuce any pictures your find would be most appreciated-especially from the 67/68 era.

20. alwaysamopar

alwaysamopar

Sooooo bad ass man. Nice looking and sounding little vette.

Sent from my SM-G900V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang, Hugh Jones and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  21. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Headers came from Tubular Automotive. Excellent product and good pricing. I'll have to dig through my old Hot Rod Magazine collection to see if I have that issue. Good luck with your build.
    https://www.tubularautomotive.com/

Thanks Jim. Your right on the money with the measurements. 61" axle flange to axle flange. The stock rear end was 60". With the spool and 35 spline axles, the Olds rear end is pretty much bullet proof . If I had it to do over, I'd have bought a new Strange S 60 complete rear for less money than I have in my Olds rear. Spent a lot of time ( and money) chasing down backing plates ,drums, etc. But it "period correct" it's quiet, and it looks good.

22. Will see if I can find it. It was the issue with Duntov and all the NEW Chev engines on the cover if I remember right.

DEC 67 issue, Polar Dragway, Palmer Alaska.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2018
    loudbang, Baron and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  23. jimdillon

jimdillon

I have Tubular Automotive headers on my avatar car with a BBC. Not a true fenderwell as they tuck behind the inner fenders and go down outside the frame but they are works of art that are the best sounding headers out there IMO. If I have a chance to use them on my next project I will. Well worth the money. Here is a cool picture of Hayseed who used them many years ago.

Vette hayseed 4.jpg

24. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice to have the hood on and still be able to safely see the road ahead. Corvette hood on 9 1 18 c.jpg Corvette hood on 9 1 18 a.jpg

25. Steve Norton

Steve Norton

Looking good Baron. Your car gave me the inspiration to build mine. Are you still going with a blue paint on the car, love the new look.

elgringo71 and Baron like this.
  26. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks Steve. Eventually I will paint it the Jewel Blue (still like the color very much). Your car came out great and looks awesome. Hope your enjoying it now that it's finished.
    For those of you who have not seen Steve's yet, here it is.
    40603701_141714116763520_5257006512508764160_n.jpg

27. Steve Norton

Steve Norton

Won best Gasser at the E’ville Shindig Sunday. Got a lot of compliments and a lot of pictures taken of the Vette

Baron and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  28. jimdillon

jimdillon

I am not surprised Steve. Your car is about as good as they come (and go). Come to think about it, Baron's car is right up there as well but I have seen Steve's car up close. Hope to see Baron's car one of these days as well.

29. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

30. Killer

loudbang and Baron like this.