Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration I'm making a list of parts to start looking for

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Aug 3, 2018.

1. I have located a vendor that has the side trim for my '50 coupe and a few other stock trim pieces I plan on adding but I haven't found a replacement hood ornament,Dennis Carpenter has the repop original style but I would prefer a bull nose.

Anyone know where I might find one. HRP

3W JOHN and chryslerfan55 like this.
  2. 3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  3. Another question,is there any difference in a '49,'50 & '51 front bumper? HRP

3W JOHN and chryslerfan55 like this.

4. 50 customcoupe

50 customcoupe

Yes, the '51 has a raised ridge that runs the length of the bumper and the '49 and '50 don't. I have a friend that has a "50 Ford 4-door that may have some parts that you may want, but, all of the parts are in sad shape and would need to be restored. This car has been sitting for years out side.

5. All 3 years are just a bit different. 49 and 50 will direct bolt up. 51 needs 51 splash aprons due to total different contour. 49's are Smooth face. 50 has a rib across. 51 Total change.
    The Wizzard

6. Thanks for the information,for so many years I only build Deuces and being a one year car there wasn't too many differences in the parts,I got a lot to learn. :) HRP

7. I am also wanting/ thinking about replacing or adding the side trim,is it available? HRP

3W JOHN likes this.
  8. If your going stock check out Dennis Carpenter. He has some repro moldings. I have not bought any so can't give first hand info.
    The Wizzard

9. Yes sir, Moose did a photoshop for me adding the wheels & side trim and I really like the look. HRP

upload_2018-8-9_11-40-54.jpeg

BLUSHU, 3W JOHN, 4tford and 3 others like this.
  10. I like your photoshop version. I just happen to have a set of early 14" American Torque Thrust wheels. They just didn't quite work for me on my 51. I liked the hub caps better.
    The Wizzard

3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  11. Thank you sir, I like the hub cap version also but I have had this vision in my mind for a long,long time. HRP

I also have a set of 5 spokes that were on my 63 1/2 Falcon Sprint back in the late 60's and they too are 14",too small and wonth fit over the disc brakes on the front of the '50 coupe.

3W JOHN likes this.
  12. I understand how that Vision thing works. I knew what I wanted to do to the Grill and had the Chrysler hubcaps and a few other parts before I even owned the Vicky they would end up on. Krazzy stuff eh?
    The Wizzard

13. Try The Ford Barn forum for parts. They have an active classified section and I have found parts for my '59 on there, NOS side trim.

14. I discovered today the gas tank is shot,the metal is weak on the bottom do I plan on replacing it.

I haven't started looking yet but if anyone knows of a original replacement type let me know. HRP

3W JOHN likes this.
  15. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

You might look at Classic Auto Parts in OKC for side trim. Not sure if they do or not but they had the qtr trim for my 55 that no else has.

16. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

17. Danny,

Dennis Carpenter is in Concord, NC- had to make a run there for parts for a friend's F150- it's worth the trip (and if you like Cajun, take Mrs. HRP to Razzoo's at the Concord Mall :D) to see what they have (and look at the brightwork before you buy it)!

18. Not the worst price, do a search on the Ford part number. C & G Ford is the same $$. I find a lot of new and used Ford parts on eBay too. Spectra Tank probably makes them, look up 51F and you may do better.
    http://shoebox-central.com/1949-1950-1951-ford-fuel-gas-petrol-tank-steel-metal

19. When I was building the Wagon C & G had parts no one else did, I'll keep them in mind. HRP

3W JOHN likes this.
  20. eaglebeak

eaglebeak

Quite possible, the new gas tank guage opening is a different size than the original. You will need a new sender to match the new tank.
    '49 Ford rear bumpers are smooth, no bead.
    I'm in the process of putting a later '49, '50 rear bumper on my '51.
    The '50 bumper brackets had to be drilled to fit the '51.
    I know this does not apply to your situation but just for others that are doing these things.

21. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I used a Mustang tank in my '50. I'll have to check inventory on all my extra junk.

22. I'll add just a bit more First Hand info about my remarks on the Gas Tank. I have bought tons of parts from Dennis Carpenter for years. 99% of his stuff is right on, no issues. That covers 3 of my 57 Ford cars, 3 51 Ford car projects and 2 F-100 projects among others. The Fuel Tank I got with his Co. name imbosed in it just missed the mark. The Tank itself was just oversized enough that the stock straps couldn't do the Job. Once past that issue it also was necessary to adjust the opening in the Floor where the Fill Hose coupler enters the Trunk. That showed that the fill tube receiver was at a different angle than stock. Once that was done the fill tube had issues fitting back in the hole for the rubber seal below the fill cap. All 3 of these things were just off enough to not be a good deal and P----ss ya off. R & R of two straps and a Hose clamp shouldn't be a big deal. Then when I went to run the line nut into the fitting in the Tank it was going to take digging out what ever was in the threads so the nut would start. I pulled the plug and boxed it back up. My Vicky has a tank from Tanks, it was a direct drop in. I ordered another from them and had ZERO issues on the Vert. I just did another on the Sedan. I have no idea who actually builds the Tanks from Tanks but they fit as in Stock replacement. That's the way it should be.
    The Wizzard

3W JOHN, jim snow and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  23. P.S. The stock factory 51 sender fits correct in the Tanks tank.

24. Fat47

Fat47
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Carpenter currently has a sale going on. 10% off. Yogi's now owns Tanks and has the best price on replacement tanks I have found. I am currently building a 50 but will not post until the 49 Buick Sedanette build (thread on here) is done. If you have questions, please feel free to PM me.

25. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Looks a lot like some shoebox’s that @Rocky build years ago.

26. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D The great parts chase.Looks like fun.I`ll saddle up and go along for the ride.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

27. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

I am not where my catalog is but it seemed to me that Bob Drake had a bull nose for a 49-50 Ford. ?

28. Do you need the spear on the front fender that says custom?

29. HRP come to Hershey in Oct. . All the parts you could want and free beer at our spot.:p

Hnstray, 3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.