Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Mag on the street

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Mike Colemire, Aug 2, 2018.

1. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

Anyone run a mag on the street? I have a Mallory Sprint mag III, it has the rare earth magnets, I won't have a radio but Spud Miller has suppression wires that he said works real good. Only thing is, I have a vintage Dixco tach, I think Spud has a deal where I can run the tach with out problems I think. I was going to sell it and go with MSD but I have $350 in it and I know I wouldn't get my money back.

2. I ran a Mallory on the street. Being a mechanical points mag it's not very durable. The vibration and bumps beat it up bad. I know the sprint cars give their Mallory mags a beating. I feel the vertex is a better street mag for durability. A mad uses a electric points system. The problem with a pro mag it gets too hot. It's not designed for long duration running.
    You should be able to get your money out of your generator alone. With a drive base a little more.

3. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

I did for a few years . It’s not the best in operation , but top shelf front row in looks . The electronic ignition with a vacuum advance is your friend on the street .

Deuces likes this.
  4. Dyno Dave

Dyno Dave

I have a '54 Bel Air 2dr. sedan 235 powered & 12v., been running a Vertex/Joe Hunt close to 20 years with only stoppage. The small nub in the cap broke, switched to my spare cap & wires... Good to GO! dyno dave

5. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Why do you need a tech?
    A Mag will work good last long time, as long as it is tended to, for the street you would want the advance unlocked. ;)

6. I ran a Vertex on the street for years. No problems. Ran a Sun tach, with the old sending unit. Didn't need suppression wires.

7. Old Tin and New Tin

Old Tin and New Tin

Started with Taylor/Vertex look-a-like mag in my 32, but it didn't last but a few months. When the second one crapped out I replaced with a straight Vertex magneto. I used shielded wires and an Auto Meter tachometer signal converter but the "noise" from the magneto still affected my SW electric speedometer and tachometer. I also used a relay to kill the magneto when I turned off the ignition switch. The magneto worked just fine on the street and I ran it for approximately 2 years
    until Taylor/Vertex was able to cure their problem with the look-a-like. I switched back to the look-a-like about 2 years ago and have been running it with no problems and can now use my speedometer and tachometer. I still carry the real Vertex magneto as a backup so I won't be stranded. I like the magneto look as I think it keeps everything clean and I didn't want to cut
    the firewall to accommodate another style of distributor.