Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1947-53 Chevy truck gas pedal

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kid Jeff, Aug 2, 2018.

1. Kid Jeff

Kid Jeff

I have a 1953 Chevy 3100 truck and I am now at the point in the build where I need to figure out a throttle pedal. I have installed a 350 engine in the truck and I am still using the frame mounted brake setup (updated booster/master). The only part of the original setup I have is the pedal. I have no clue how the throttle pedal assembly was setup originally.
    I am just wondering how others have done a throttle pedal setup in their own trucks. Mechanical or cable operated? Floor mounted or pivot setup? Any advice on brands or setups to stay away from?
    Any help is appreciated and pictures always help out a lot if possible!
    Thanks in advance!

2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I have used the Lokar floor mounted, cable operated setup a few times and like it a lot. That was always done with engine swaps, not to replace well functioning stock installation pedal/linkages.

Ray

3. Kid Jeff

Kid Jeff

Thanks, I wondered how those floor throttle pedal units be. Maybe that's the was to go.
    Any other thoughts?

4. squirrel

squirrel

maybe try a stock pedal setup for a 55-57 V8 truck? unfortunatly the repops are not top quality...but since you have to modify the firewall bracket anyways, maybe not a big deal.

5. Kid Jeff

Kid Jeff

Thank you. I will look into the 55-57 stock setup.

mitch 36 likes this.
  6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've got a floor mounted Lokar style unit for mine this time around. I've lost track of how many pedal setups I tried over the years but some of them were so uncomfortable to drive with that they came out after one road trip.
    For those that don't know, the stock AD pedal pushes a rod that runs through the floor from the pedal to a bellcrank on the side of the 216/235 that in turn moves a rod up an down that works the throttle on the carb. No way to make that work with a V8.
    If you were a really sharp engineer and designer I guess you could rig a bellcrank on the toe board that worked off the modified rod from the stock gas pedal and operated a cable to the carb or maybe even a mechanical linkage to the carb but it would be a challenge.

7. lowrd

lowrd

If you don't mind going cable, use a late model firewall mounted pedal assembly. I used one from a mid 70's Nissan
    P/U which works fine.

8. squirrel

squirrel

....sounds like a very accurate description of the factory 55-57 truck gas pedal assembly :)