Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 6Volt system with 12Volt wiring

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 56don, Aug 1, 2018.

1. Can anyone think of a reason why I could not wire a 6 volt system car with a wiring harness like a Rebel Wire,etc. that is designed for 12 volts? Since 6volts has less voltage but more current, would the 12volt wires be large enough?

2. 4wd1936

4wd1936
    from NY

No! It's the amps that will cause the smoke. Don't do it.

Truck64 and e1956v like this.
  3. I have yet to see anyone offering a 6volt wiring harness other than the expensive original type cloth covered wire reproductions.

4. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

6 volt 2x the amps of 12 volt . When you double the voltage you 1/2 the amps

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. goldmountain

goldmountain

Why not switch to 12 volt?

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Unkl Ian likes this.
  6. cederholm

cederholm

What are you wiring? If it's a simple circuit like an A you could make a harness from scratch.

bct likes this.
  7. Slopok

Slopok

6 volt wire will handle 12 volts, but 12 volt wire won't handle 6 volts, too thin.

firstinsteele and Unkl Ian like this.
  8. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

9. oldsman41

oldsman41

6volt wire is ok with 12volt but not 12 to 6

10. Thanks for all the replies. Thats pretty much what I thought too. The old car I got has pretty ragged wiring and needs to be redone. I kinda wanted to keep it 6volts because its so original and I just bought a new 6volt battery. But thinking ahead it would probably be more prudent to go ahead and convert to 12 volts. I could do one wire at at time with a home made harness but being lazy, I had rather have one with the fuse block and all already in it.

11. sunbeam

sunbeam

The wire will be ok if you don't change the fuse. I'm not saying you won't blow the fuse.

12. 4wd1936

4wd1936
    from NY

There is a company in RI that has been in business for many years making original harnesses for many cars possibly yours. I have used their products in the past and just recently saw one of their current products, they did and still are making an exceptional product that is very original right down to the correct connectors and the cloth covered but up to date insulation. They are a bit expensive but worth it.

Pist-n-Broke likes this.
  13. rebel wire made me a six volt harness for a 51 Plymouth worked fine.

14. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Ask your favorite wiring harness company if they can make one for you, hilo hotrodder says rebel does them. All it would take is to use larger wire, if they already have the patterns. Expect to pay extra for the more expensive wire and time.

15. miker98038

miker98038
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

16. 2manycars2littletime

2manycars2littletime
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you decide to go with an original style harness, I can recommend "YNZ Yesterdays Parts". I used their harnesses on my 58 Buick and the harnesses were perfect. Definitely not cheap, but perfect.
    https://www.ynzyesterdaysparts.com/

Rhode Island Wiring, Narragansett Wiring and Harnesses Unlimited might also have what you need.

17. Talk to Rebel, maybe they can help.

18. BJR

BJR

X2 for YNZ. Made one for my 1932 Hupmobile from my original one I sent them. Top quality.

19. Thanks for all the tips and links.

20. Vimtage Iron

Vimtage Iron

Old cars and trucks generally had one fuse or breaker, they have lasted from the 30's40's50's till now and have not burnt down,adding a fuse block is a waste of time and extra wiring thats not necessary,if your keeping the cat orginal,even if not the extra wire isn't worth the effort, if you should add something like turn signals that were not standard a fuse comes with the unit,the same with a radio or any other item,many of the wiring kits come with small wire and relays now you add more wire to heat up a cheap plastic relay,I generally build my own wiring with the exception of a 56 Ford truck, that kit came from Sac Vintage Ford and was correct for the truck and I threw away the fuse block some dip stick put in with drywall screws.
    You didn't tell us what car you had,most of the old stuff is pretty simple to wire.

21. I understand wanting to stay 6-V . The small amount of extra $$ spent with Rhode Island Wiring will never be regretted. A big plus is you don't need a pair of wire crimpers to install it.
    The Wizzard

22. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

Rebel wire makes a 6 volt harness,check it out. http://rebelwire.com/rebel-wire-products.php?cat=Wire Kits

23. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

In addition to the heat problem, there will be significant voltage drops if the wires are too thin. This will result in dimmer lights, less ignition coil output, and a host of other problems.

I say go with a repro harness instead of a generic. The additional cost will pay for itself with saved labor in installation.

24. The37Kid

The37Kid

So 6 volt wire is good in both a 6 & 12 volt system? Six volt cloth covered looks better IMO, and would not burn in a 12 volt system? Bob

25. Yes indeed.
    6v wiring will have more than enough capacity to run 12v. That is the best route to take with either 6 or 12v. a 6v harness has the extra capacity.
    I'm only butting in someone elses conversation so you can have a fast answer

WHY BE ORDINARY ?

Last edited: Aug 2, 2018
    The37Kid likes this.
  26. I recently found this old girl resting for the last few years. About as solid an old car as I have seen in a long time. I think I have decided to buy some more cloth covered 6volt wire and just replace what needs replacing. The wiring under the dash is not as bad as I first thought after a better look with more lights.

PICT0006.JPG

47ragtop and The37Kid like this.
  27. REBEL43

REBEL43
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from TENNESSEE

Everyone is right about the 6v system needing to be heavier than 12v. You're mostly dealing with the same wattage needed to power something, but with a lower supply voltage, amp draw goes up, so the conductor or wire size has to be larger, switches heavier, etc. If you go with a 6v kit you can change over to 12v down the road if you want. The wiring would be more than heavy enough, you'd just need to change: charging system, bulbs, coil, condensor, resist power for gauges, heater, etc. For the most part, your old 6v switches will be fine in a 12v system (headlight switch, dimmer switch, ignition switch) because they're built heavier. The starter will be fine as long as you're not cranking on it for long periods of time, 12v solenoid needed.

The basic difference in our 6v kit is that we make the fuse panel heavier, use heavier gauge wire, and supply a 6v flasher and 6v horn relay. Just go with some quality parts and wire whatever you do. Keep in mind that whole system is the same age, so it may look good, but it still has the same amount of use and years on it. It all depends on what you want it to look like and how you want it to function in the end. Just do a lot of homework to get all the facts you need to make a good decision. Let us know if you need anything.