Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Running slicks on the street

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Model A Mark, Jul 17, 2018.

1. That sucks, but they do have good customer service and you should have no problem replacing it.
    Could you feel it going down the road? My son noticed the same thing on my truck as he followed me home. I could not feel a thing driving it. We switched vehicles and sure enough I could see a noticeable wobble. It turned out to be the wheel not the tire that was bad.

lothiandon1940 and Bandit Billy like this.
  2. Sometimes, Sometimes, I gotta chime a bit...... This is with all the two camp threads= do/don't do, you should/shouldn't.......... Really? It come's down to "have you done it yourself"???????
    Slicks on the street? Well- if your fronting, and that's your thing, do what you want. ..... There is a purpose for such..... Try to be cool, or- intended purpose.......
    If intended to run slicks= for what they are used for- Go for it.......
    I made lot's of $ running slicks while jerk off's made the betting......
    Now- NOT condoning what one should do, but if it is an intended purpose- You can win, or you can loose...
    With all this- intended purposes......= Don't drive like a jackass, don't drive when the street's are dewy, and if you drive in the rain= well..... your call there.....
    Posers, and Realists....... You want the form, or you want the function?
    And to edit...... I'm not referring to the lookalike old school pie crust re-cap nonsense. I'm referring to real slicks= like modern day stuff....... If it's anyone's bag, go for it. Seem's more to a look than anything else...but- if you have to run them at an event, or fit in a class, that is very understandable..... But just "on the street", well,....... I wouldn't bring a knife to a gunfight if I had a choice.......

Last edited: Jul 25, 2018
  3. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I honestly cannot feel it, I have a right mirror and I could see a bit of distortion at speed. I saw then balanced and did not notice any wobble, tho that one did a lot of weight.

I see on line that towel city now offers caps on New tires for an added price tag. I think I'll call then tomorrow

wraymen likes this.
  4. Well the way your dancing around I'm thinking you brought a pair of tap shoes to a gunfight. All I'm saying is do what you want. In your eyes I'm a poser, non-conformist, whatever. Maybe I'm a moron too but I'm smart enough to know not to preach without a license and express my views like they were the only ones Exceptable.
    You two should sit down and write a rule book. "Hot Rodding for Morons", let me do the liner.

Edit: invisiblekid, sorry for the tirade it wasn't really meant for you. I would remove it but that would be like pretending it didn't happen. I got pissed with the stupid and moron stabs. His very next post was about seeking help with PMs and I helped him. Kind of funny, no?
    I'm just a live and let live kind of person......mostly.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2018
  5. ..............Kill 'em in Chillum!:D;)

wraymen likes this.
  6. joeyesmen

joeyesmen

So, if I am understanding the whole "poser" thing . . . painting flames on your car makes you a poser, because you are pretending that your car is on fire, and it is not actually on fire?

7. True wrinkle wall design slicks that sat for a couple of weeks and a Detroit Locker.Give that a try.Not so good vibrations.The fix......Three hard burnouts.

8. I'm digging the comic relief. Funny guy.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  9. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Surprised whoever mounted your Towel City slicks didn't mention the wobble when they balanced them? My tire shop always notices little things when they mount tires for me.

Bandit Billy likes this.
  10. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well, number one they spin them with the lid down for safety reasons and they don't see the shoulder walk. the tires are round and they balanced fine but the shoulder just isn't quite square. If I had fenders on my car the guy following me would have never had noticed it either.

I called TC and they said it happens from time to time. The tires have very square shoulders and they may have a bit of a run out. That said they are happy to help me fix the situation even though I bought them 4 years ago (try that with the other tire guys). They even went so far as to suggest that they could custom build a tire in the dimensions I would really desire, that being 16" X 9" X 29.5" on a new radial not a used carcass. Great people to work with! It will take a month or two to build but I am not in a big hurry. My interior guy will take that long just to get me in the door!

wraymen, Hombre and Finn Jensen like this.
  11. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I run a pair of sticky Mickeys on my 442 , hell of a tire. They been wet a few times but slow down and they are just fine.

TA drag radials? Save your money.

Nitto 555, best of both worlds, small compromise on the sticky side but I have a fat pair I had red lined at diamond back and mounted to 15x10 olds rallys.

12. The same experience I had. I ran Hurts and the Firestone Cheaters all the time rain or shine and had zero issues. Of course you need to drive with some sense if you have these tires on when it is raining. They drive just fine in the rain and if you adjust your speed accordingly you will be fine.

I think if you drive actual drag slicks you will have some issues if it gets wet and you drive like an idiot.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
    INVISIBLEKID, Hombre and Deuces like this.
  13. Speedway Firestones work ok just watch the water and sand in turns, had them on my 29 Roadster with a Nailhead for 15 - 20 years.

14. Had all these cheater slicks: Radirs, Hursts and Firestones out in the rain today and lived to tell about it A5B2FBFE-FB90-4D81-86B4-E4D32FB80D5F.jpeg

bowie likes this.