Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Give me ideas for the coolest hot rod vacation

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, Jul 26, 2018.

1. I'll leave the light on for ya!! ;)

2. P.S. I was trying to attach a short video footage I shot as a passenger, but apparently it's "too long" (at +/- 90 seconds ???) and I don't know how to edit/make it more compact or shorter. So, here's couple of still shots instead..

Let the fun begin ("Curves ahead, next 44 miles")...

image.jpeg

Field lunch break at +/-6K ft.:
    image.jpeg

Cruisin' at 7K+ ft. ...
    image.png

Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
    Mtn Goat likes this.
  3. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

The American Museum of Speed in Lincoln NE is a must see. Double check the hours as they vary.

4. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You have a much more understanding wife than I. Her answer to your "coolest hot rod vacation" would be selling a hot rod and going to Europe on the money.

Just Gary likes this.
  5. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Peeping in your windows.

6. Roothawg

Roothawg

Creeper!

Jeff Norwell likes this.
  7. The37Kid

The37Kid

Have you been to Hershey in October?

8. wuga

wuga
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You didn't say when in the fall you are leaving because a lot of RV parks close at the end of Sept. and also it gets cold at night camping in the north. But, in early fall, a trip to the Indiana/Michigan area would fill the bill. Start with the Auburn area with at least 5 automotive museums as well as other types. Going on to Elkhart, home of the RV, there is the RV/MH hall of fame and museum. A stop over in Shipshewana is a must. Gorgeous farms and a step back in time. Then head over to Greenfield Village to the Henry museum and plan on two days. You didn't say how much time you had, but I think you could fill almost two weeks in this part of the country. And yes, I used to go to Woodward every year, but now it has become a new car showcase and definitely a place to stay away from. Flint's back to the bricks is supposed to be an improvement, but it is in August, the same time as Woodward. We have traveled 45 of the lower states, all of the provinces as well as Alaska and the Yukon. Loved the openness of western Texas, the great food of Louisiana, the museums especially Auburn, the Henry, Speedway and Garlits. The north-west is beautiful except in blinding snow storms and a tour down either coast is incredible.
    Have fun
    Warren

p/s: get Drag N Fly back on the strip.

Algoma56 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  9. Roothawg

Roothawg

I have not. That would be awesome. The wife might not think so though....she's a trooper but Hershey might kill her.

chryslerfan55 and Truck64 like this.
  10. Roothawg

Roothawg

Probably around the 1st of Oct. I can't leave before Sept 15, because that's when we put on the Hot Rod Hundred and my fellow CrossMembers wouldn't be too happy with me. we have considered the RV parks closing. It's always a challenge.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  11. oldsman41

oldsman41

Wife and i are going to do highway 1 in Cali next year and just got back from Yellowstone Tetons Sunday.

Roothawg likes this.
  12. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

C'mon Man. Everybody loves endless corn and bean fields!

13. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

You can’t post a video even though it says you can. Put it on YouTube and copy/paste the link and it should imbed

chryslerfan55 and TTR like this.
  14. Shamus

Shamus
    from NC

In 2003 my late wife told me I could go to the Swap Meet for a couple of hours if I went thru the Hershey Chocolate factory tour with her. I cheated & stayed 3 hours but she understood & we bought lots of chocolates to take to the grand kids in NY & MA!!

chryslerfan55, Roothawg and scotty t like this.
  15. We DO have the Indy 500 and the US Nationals! Hard to top that!! ( surrounded by endless corn and bean fields)

chryslerfan55 and Roothawg like this.
  16. five-oh

five-oh
    from Arkansas
    1. HAMB Old Farts' Club

I don't have any good suggestions for the destination- but if you find yourself coming through your neighboring state of Arkansas, Hot Springs National Park is nice and Petit Jean Mountain is a beautiful place (Arkansas ' first state park ) and has a car museum founded by Winthrop Rockefeller...

17. kdart

kdart

Gilmore Car Museum is great, but is on the west side of the state (Kalamazoo) about ~2hr from Detroit. Kalamazoo also happens to be the home of the NSRA Nationals North, which is always a good time! Could be a good combo if the timing works out.

18. Thank you for the suggestion, but I don't have experience with putting or linking things on YouTubes, FaceTubes, etc either, so I just leave the video out for now.
    Besides the footage wasn't that great anyway, especially the sound quality.

19. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

It is a plan that we thought of for the cooler fall months in Arizona/ Southern Nevada and So Cal. So Cal is fine just about any month of the year with a millions hot rod things going on from the standard Cars and Coffees events to the weekly Donut Derelicts. But, not everyone likes So Cal because of whatever… So, this is for the Arizona/Nevada area while the climate is nice enough to hang around for a while. We have been to the Grand Canyon North and plenty of area events/ sites.

But, this year, a stay in Sedona, Arizona and a train ride to the Grand Canyon South is planned. This whole Southwest area has lots to see and do from touristy stuff to total relaxation. We like to stay at hotels and motels on the road. Fast in and out with nearby restaurants. But with all of the sights and sounds of the vacation spots, there has to be an end spot for a couple of days of total relaxation and kicking back to recover, before the long drive home.

Sedona is 3 hours away from Lake Havasu (train to Grand Canyon)
    Lake Las Vegas is 4 hours away from Lake Havasu (Hoover Dam & Lake Mead are only 30-60 min away, depending on traffic...early morning is the best time for viewing.)

We did this national park tour backwards in 2002, starting in Kansas City,Mo. The Colorado Lakes first, national parks in Utah, Arizona, Lake Powell, Lake Las Vegas and then home to So Cal.

Jnaki

Hot Rod Events @ Lake Havasu
    41st Annual Relics & Rods Run to the Sun
    October 17 - October 21
    Bridgewater Links @ London Bridge Resort, 1477 Queens Bay,
    Lake Havasu City, AZ 86403

Our plan on a fall trip to up the Colorado River to the Kingman, Arizona Route 66 Crossing and go up to the Lake Mead National Recreation Area and finally, Las Vegas. We did this odd route backward from Lake Las Vegas to Lake Mead, to Kingman, AZ, to Lake Havasu, Parker Dam and So Cal. It was a reunion tour of sorts from the old water skiing days behind a Ford powered Howard inboard boat at the dam.

So, instead of staying in one of the busy, noisy, crowded strip hotels, try a different place with some peace, quiet and tranquility. We normally do not like glitzy, Las Vegas, the busy Strip/Downtown area with the craziness and crowds. But, my wife will travel at the drop of a hint if we were going back to Lake Las Vegas. It has gone through some changes, but the physical location is still offering peace, tranquility and enjoyment. Sitting or walking on the shoreline just reminds us of what serenity is/was.

upload_2018-8-30_5-7-46.png upload_2018-8-30_5-8-38.png upload_2018-8-30_5-8-49.png
    Lake Las Vegas, beyond downtown, Henderson, NV

We liked the tranquility of Lake Las Vegas and enjoy the notable absence of tourists. The Westin, a 493-room resort at the eastern end of Lake Las Vegas, started life as a Hyatt, then became a Lowes. We stayed here when it was new and called the Hyatt Lake Las Vegas.

“We were clued in that this would be quieter, a good way to extend our summer. Everything’s close, the restaurants and little shops, the lake. No crowds.”

“This place is idyllic, for those of a certain mindset. There is faux, Ponte Vecchio Bridge at the Western portion that used to be the hot spot, with shops on the bridge and great views of the lake. More resorts are located at the western edge.”

The Westin is at the far reaches of the Eastern end of Lake Las Vegas. The desert views from higher up is a true “Forest Flower Sunrise” and Sunset later on in the P.M. The last time we were there, a whistling wind sound reverberated in the resort. It is because of the openness of the surrounding area, the lake, and winds shooting up the valley in the P.M.

There is always a whistling sound inside of the main lounge’s giant folding doors, looking East. It reminded everyone of seeing movies of the Sahara Desert with the howling winds blowing through the tents/buildings. It seemed almost as hot as the Sahara. But, in the fall months, it should be very nice. We may be taking a side trip there, coinciding with a desert escapade in Death Valley.
    upload_2018-8-30_5-10-6.png upload_2018-8-30_5-10-37.png
    Part of the Hilton Hotel in Lake Las Vegas is designed based on the famous Ponte Vecchio Bridge in Italy located at the western end of the lake.

ONE LAST EVENT THAT SHOULD BE FUN TO ATTEND.
    LAST BUT NOT LEAST: FROM MIKE COOK’S WEB PAGE:

“With the Bolivian chapter behind us, we now turn our attention to the Bonneville Shootout scheduled for September 20-24. Calls are coming in and folks are already signing up. Interested parties can call Mike Cook direct at 951 675-3070 or Mike Cook Jr. at 951 545-3335.”
    upload_2018-8-30_5-11-22.png

Last edited: Aug 30, 2018
    Algoma56 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  20. Gman0046

Gman0046

The Florida Pan Handle in October and November is the best time of the year to visit. Temperatures are cooler, not crowded, off season hotel/motel rates are in effect, not too far from Cruisin the Coast in Biloxi, MS the first week in October and Cruising the Emerald Coast in Panama City Beach the first week in November.. Both are week long rod runs. Come on down to the best beaches for great sea food, entertainment and beach cruising. If it were me I'd rent a house right on the beach. Nothings better then hearing the waves when you go to sleep at night.
    Gary

chryslerfan55 and Just Gary like this.
  21. Lil32

Lil32

We wanted to do Hwy 1 again this trip in June, but it was closed due to mud slides
    I believe it is fully open and they are having special events and motel prices to get traffic back

22. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Don't forget the Hill Climb in Central city, Colorado 3rd week of september I believe.

23. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

We just got back from Michigan. The Ford museum is awesome, visited other Ford places years ago, The Village, Fairlane( Henry’s House) and others. You need a full day or more at the Museum. The Gilmore museum is also awesome , again a full day there. Went north to Macanack island, and the dunes . We did it while it was hot here in Oklahoma, was nice and cool up there. Might be cold in October. There is enough things to see in Michigan to spend your whole two weeks. Motor up there on I 44 and I 70, lots of good back roads between the museums and other sights.
    Make a wide loop around Chicago!
    Also Indy speedway is kinda on the way, great place!

Bones

Last edited: Aug 30, 2018
  24. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

How about El Mirage ? Nov. 10-11 is the last gathering of the year and is a two-day event. It is a real meeting of salt-of-the-earth rodders. They welcome you even when you drive a "streetrod" from Texas ! A few giggled about a/c, heated seats, and the 700R4 in a Deuce roadster, all in good fun. You see very serious racers who aren't billionaires. Hope to see you there. Also, last year the weather was partly sunny, partly cloudy, and great for racing. Kept my club jacket on most of the day. Just perfect.

25. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There are lots of chicks out there who just love hotrods and their drivers. Just sayin'. LOL. I happen to be a lucky stiff. Three times to El Mirage/Cal. so far and she is ready for the fourth. Good luck Bud.

26. jnaki

jnaki

[​IMG]

Hello,
    Hope your travels this fall will still be fun with all of the exciting places that have been offered. One side trip that was proposed needs an update as it just rolled into view. With the proposed race dates coming up in a couple of weeks...here is the latest information sent out to various places. The following information is the latest on:
    THE BONNEVILLE SHOOT OUT... Sept 20-24, 2018

According to the latest word after the 2018 Bonneville event in August,
    "Mike Cook's Bonneville Shootout has been cancelled due to lack of entries." It was going to be on Sept 20-24. Interested parties can call Mike Cook direct at 951 675-3070 or Mike Cook Jr. at 951 545-3335 for the updated information.

Jnaki
    Sorry, R, that would have been a great side trip to Utah, a month later from the "Big" one.

27. 2935ford

2935ford

If you have not done the Detroit area...........and awful lot of auto history.
    Doing some research helps.
    So many of the original old factory buildings still stand and not just assembly line but body makers/suppliers i.e. Briggs, Fisher etc..
    Just following the Ford trail (homes and plants) is an event in itself. Ford's Piquette plant needs to be planned due to the hours/days they keep.
    Look up Albert Kahn the architect who built many of the auto industry and civic buildings.
    Then of course Motown and let's not forget the Detroit Tigers.
    A little jaunt north to Flint gets you the Dort plant where Billy Durant started GM.

Algoma56 likes this.
  28. Lake Tahoe wood boat shows killer.

29. oldpl8s

oldpl8s

My wife wants to drive the Lincoln Highway. I have heard there are many long stretches with not much to see. Whatt attractions are worth the drive? thanks

30. oldpl8s

oldpl8s

the 17 mile drive in Monterey is a must see.