Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Bubbles or lack there of

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by shamer, Jul 29, 2018.

1. I’ll check. What should it be?

2. I was tempted by these but didn’t use them. Good info for the future.

3. I was told my MC was bi-braketual, that it would go either way. Thanks for the picture, I now know what to look for.

4. Good stuff! Thank you. I will check this out.

5. I will be checking the push rod length. I haven’t driven the truck yet but there is enough braking that I can’t turn the wheels by hand but that doesn’t mean much I don’t think. I originally bled the brakes with the brake pedal and had what seemed like reasonable flow.

6. CE32F7DA-405A-4CC4-BAC6-A4F67BD68DD0.jpeg Thanks for everyone’s comments. I do appreciate the H.A.M.B. braintrust. I changed my avatar to the all go and no whoa truck. I just recently fired it up after having the initial break-in done on a dyno with a carb. Switched to a FI Tech system and it fired almost immediately and a few small idle air control adjustments had it running good. I’m very anxious to get my brakes figured out so I can drive this thing.

7. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If there is no booster, about 6:1.

pitman likes this.
  8. Regarding #1, I have the 1/4” free play. As for #2, instead of .020-.030” clearance I have .149” interference so I need to screw the pin in .169” to get .020” clearance. So, could the lack of clearance between the booster pin and the bullet in the master cylinder cause my soft pedal? I have some brakes but can push the pedal to the floor. Also, I haven’t made the adjustment to the pin yet.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

9. My pedal ratio is 5.33 with booster.

10. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That should be fine.

11. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You won't get a proper bleed if the master cylinder piston does not fully return. For that, it requires free play.

57 Fargo likes this.
  12. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

If the master cylinder can't return to its absolute released position with 0 preload by the pedal or booster it does not recharge with fluid for the next stroke properly. Push the pedal down and release it with the cover off of the master cylinder and you should see a " geyser " of sorts squirt up in each reservoir...protect your paint unless it's all urethane or another bulletproof paint!.....beautiful truck Bro!

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  13. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

Gimpy beat me to it!....thr " geyser confirms what Gimpy said if all there is correct

14. Ralphies54

Ralphies54

Regarding your .149 clearance you need to screw the pin OUT toward the master not IN. Be sure to lock the pin with the jamb nut so it can't move on it's own.

15. Ralphies54

Ralphies54

I don't recall seeing where you bench bled the master, maybe I missed it!! They have to be bled off the car to get full stroke of the piston, bleeding on the car doesn't always allow the foll stroke. Ralphie

16. Yes, it was bench bled.

17. What I believe is happening and what I’m trying to describe is I think the pin is out to the point the master cylinder never returns all the way so not only is there no clearance between the booster pin and the MC bullet it’s holding the MC open by .149. I screwed the pin in to see how much I could get and it was only .050. Am I thinking backwards? Wouldn’t be the first time.

Ralphies54 likes this.
  18. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

He said 0.149 interference, not clearance.

Ralphies54 likes this.
  19. Ralphies54

Ralphies54

My bad, yes I see interference not clearance, need new glasses:(.

20. I’ve shortened the bullet that slides in to the MC by what I believe is the appropriate amount. So, if my yardsticks, rulers, verniers, depth gauges and arithmetic are correct I have .022 clearance. I’ll put it back together and see what happens.
    Thanks to everyone for their advice.

21. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Any luck?

22. No change. I’ll bleed them again to see if the increased stroke changes anything.

23. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The amount of travel / throw / plunge on the master has been mentioned already. My math says that 4" of pedal travel to the floor and a 5.33 pedal ratio isn't giving and inch of travel at the master. About an inch or maybe a bit more (depending on the master) is what's required, as already mentioned. Whilst this amount of travel isn't necessary in normal service it can be necessary when bleeding the brakes.

You can lose a ton of this travel if the pedal position isn't correct - if it's already over center the effective pedal ratio will be reduced and throw lost. Visualise as a pendulum, there is more horizontal throw between say 5 o'clock and 7 o'clock than say 6 o'clock and 8 o'clock, even though the pivot has moved through the same 10 (time!) minutes = 30 degrees.

Chris

24. That all sounds reasonable but if the brakes were pressure bled is it applicable? If the air were really out of the system from pressure bleeding I would think I should have a good pedal within 2” of movement or so.

25. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow, this is making me rethink rear discs. It shouldn't be the problem but there seems to be some miss match somewhere in your system. Please keep us up to date...thanks

26. A 4 wheel disc brake system will always have a softer peddle then a disc / drum set up.

A lot of cars from the 80’s and 90’s when 4 wheel disc first became popular had shit peddle feel but stopped fine

27. sunbeam

sunbeam

Do they pump up if they do is the pedal soft?

28. enjenjo

enjenjo
    from swanton oh

You can fix these by making a nylon insert that is a snug fit in the bore, and has the same ID as the brake line.

Bandit Billy and gimpyshotrods like this.
  29. They don’t pump up at all. I can push it to the floor.

30. I’ve been rethinking the rear discs, too lately! I knew I didn’t need them, I just wanted them. I’ve talked to Wilwood and they say my 1” Corvette MC is fine with the calipers I have. I’ll keep messing with it.