Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical TIRE SHAVING/TRUING SERVICE REGISTRY

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by john worden, Apr 28, 2016.

1. chop job

chop job
    from Wisconsin
    1. WISCONSON HAMBERS

How about Wisconsin any one?

2. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

Any one in NE Kansas?

3. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

4. Just Gary and Stogy like this.
  5. steve hackel

steve hackel

So far, the closest shop is John Warden in Iowa - about 6+ hours away :confused: probably where I will end up and spend the night too!

6. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

Bloomington Tire in Bloomington, MN used to have a tire shaving machine - I haven't been there in ages so I don't know if they still offer that service, but if you're in the area and need it done it may be worth giving them a call.

Stogy likes this.
  7. steve hackel

steve hackel

Ok, I broke down and bought a machine or myself and to possibly help others that might be in the same situation I was in . I am located just south west of Chicago and can be contacted (for now) through the forum. Thanks, Steve

Stogy likes this.
  8. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

Any truer/shavers in Northern Missouri? 2 jobs waiting to be done.

9. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Many shops that do truck tires have that service. Gary

10. steve hackel

steve hackel

Hi Gary; yes its true that many of the commercial truck tire shops and service centers will have a machine - BUT - they will not offer their service to an outsider that has automotive / car / tires to be shaved & balanced, and then add to the equation that this is for an antique or classic car and the first words out of their mouth will be "Our Insurance ......." MY family was in the trucking business for over 60 years with over 50 pieces of big equipment , and even today, I still have contacts in the industry and to a person they will not touch a situation where the customer brings them in their own tires & wheels, or tires already mounted to wheels, and expect them to do a shave and balance . We have become a country that is just too darn politically correct for our own good and every situation becomes a potential law-suit situation. I personally looked in and around my area (Chicago is a BIG place) for over 2 years trying to find someone that was both willing & qualified to shave the bias ply tires mounted to my 16" wire wheels - it did not happen, even with all my connections and willingness to pay for their time. Through the kind help of John Warden in Iowa (2 posts above this) he was able to put me in contact with someone that had a dormant machine just waiting for the right person to sell it to. Figuring the cost of my 1 day 10 hour drive to Iowa, 2 nights stay while John would true & balance 8 tires for me, pay him for his services - meals - and the 10 + hour return trip home and the 3 days of lost work I could be accomplishing for my customers, the initial cost of the machine I bought was minimal; I have since bought several replacement pieces and repaired others to make the new machine totally operational, designed and machined several adapters to fit our older style wheels that are no longer available from the last mfg doing & building this type of equipment, and have done a lot of trial and error experiments on old / junk / wheels and tires that others have had sitting around in their garages & shops.... Everyone now has "Round Rollers" to mount to cars when they need them. It is only through the help & generosity of other Barn & Forum members that this hobby is going to survive the continuing side bar issues of both local & government regulations that make it harder to enjoy the cars we all love so much; Tire shaving / truing is almost gone, brake shoe arcing to fit newly cut drums / a thing of the past, paint and materials for the home builder or restorer - that's an EPA & OSHA night mare in itself, parts washers, chrome platers (and other finishes) are almost all gone, and the list goes on & on for all of us. I still believe that there should be a Forum registry of SERVICES, of people throughout the country that offer things not available to them in their home town.
    Type in alternator / tells you where to go, type in carb (Uncle Max!) tells you where to go, type in tire shaving / tells you where to go.... well, you get my drift, and sort of like the Alliance Members. Hope this has helped someone - my personal thanks to all the members that helped me in the past at one time or another - for one reason or another..... THANKS !

Hank37, 2Blue2, squirrel and 5 others like this.
  11. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

12. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

Amer Mac truing machine owners........
    I have an Amer Mac Series 700 machine and was having trouble sharpening the blade. Close inspection of the sharpening stone revealed that the surface of it that contacts the blade was glazed. It was smooth and polishing the blade instead of sharpening it. I removed it from the machine and lightly sanded the glaze away with dry 80 grit paper.
    The result was immediate improvement in sharpness.
    Watch for sparks while sharpening that indicate that the sharpening process is happening.
    For what it's worth I always sharpen with the blade turning in the same direction.
    Luck

13. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

14. squirrel

squirrel

TrailerTrashToo likes this.
  15. Bumping an old thread, but I'll get getting set up this winter to offer shaving. Located Stratford area, Ontario, Canada.

cactus1 likes this.
  16. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

It's a shame that with today's technology that the companies producing these tires can't make a quality product that after paying their inflated prices still needs additional work and expense to be usable.

HemiDeuce likes this.
  17. Adriatic Machine

Adriatic Machine

The best tire in the world still has yet to be mounted on a wheel, usually one with lots of miles and untold roundocity.

18. 19Fordy

19Fordy

As a follow up to a previous post, here's how you use the RED and YELLOW dots to balance a tire. Very informative.
    Bing Videos

Adriatic Machine likes this.
  19. squirrel

squirrel

As a follow up, I took my tires to Nate Jones Tires in Signal Hill, California to get them shaved. They roll smooth now.

winduptoy, jnaki and Speedy Canuck like this.
  20. There's a bunch of other threads talking about Tire Shaving. This one is supposed to be a Registry, not a discussion.
    Though to answer your question... for the most part, they do. Technology moved on to Radial tires. Bias Ply have inherent weaknesses that make them more likely to be out of round. Hence the need for tire shaving for our niche group.

21. AccurateMike

AccurateMike

22. Tetanus

Tetanus

Big bear tire oconomowoc wi

23. steve hackel

steve hackel

The machine itself looks good, but there are no adapters shown, no spacers or adjusters,
    so if you contact the seller then have him take photos of anything small that is needed to
    mount the wheels etc. If needed, I can send you some pictures of my parts, but you
    would still need to have these machined to work for you.

24. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2024-3-19_3-5-6.png

Hello,

Tire shaving, if that is your last step, can be done at Nate Jones Tire in the Signal Hill portion of Long Beach. The shop and Nate Jones have a long history in the area.

1896 Redondo Avenue Signal Hill, CA 90755

But, for a lot of people, it can be hard to find. The GPS drives you crazy and the dreaded Traffic Circle is just down the hill on PCH and that in itself is very crazy. I made a route for you that I would take coming off of the 405 freeway from L.A. area.

Jnaki

This story below is from a Nate Jones article I wrote, with the new directions in red for your journey.

"jnaki, post: 14865475, member: 259060"

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...ng-in-tucson-phx.1282073/page-2#post-14861910

Nate Jones Tire Long Beach
    upload_2024-3-19_3-5-56.png
    We used to drive on Redondo Ave. from Willow Street or Spring Street all the way down to the oceanfront at Ocean Blvd. It was a faster way to go when not wanting to take the freeway or the usual main thoroughfare, crowded PCH. Redondo Ave. goes from the Long Beach Airport property West to the ocean.

But, for those that are not familiar with that portion of Long Beach near Signal Hill, this place is hard to find. The driveway is not on Redondo Ave. It is on the curve turning into Resevoir Drive. They used to be across Redondo Avenue, but this corner spot provided a better facility for the services provided.

If you are coming from Los Angeles area, get on the 405 Freeway South. Get off on the Lakewood Blvd South. Turn right on Willow St. Go to Redondo Ave. Then turn left. Stay on Redondo Avenue and continue uphill to PCH.

Just before you get to PCH, you will see some big white steel tanks behind a chain link fence on your left. Keep going towards PCH. When you are near the end of the big tanks, there is a funky side street on your left. Turn into that lane and street.

It is on that corner you see up ahead on your left. A triangle property that looks like a scrapyard. Park on that side street.
    upload_2024-3-19_3-7-15.png

The old school balancing the tire on the car is still used, as well as tire truing and shaping. There have been plenty of stories about how much better the real “trued” tires are for normal driving and for racing.

The history of Nate Jones's involvement with sport car racing and local hot rod folks is inspiring. The stories are pretty spectacular.

upload_2024-3-19_3-8-16.png
    The place is a classic shop. There was a Nate Jones in the graduating class 1961, one class ahead of us during high school at Long Beach Poly H.S. In Long Beach circles, he is well known in automotives and history. YRMV