Register now to get rid of these ads!

ok to put newer ford engine in traditional?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JonnyRockets, May 13, 2006.

1. JonnyRockets

JonnyRockets

Okay - don't want to get flamed, and don't know a lot yet.

I need an engine. My buddy has a 1987 ford truck with a 302 in it he'd be willing to sell to me for dirt cheap.

Would this engine be able to work in a basic trad rod set up with no Fuel Injection, nice carbs, stripped of all those new fangled sensor type things.

Also - could it bolt up to a different tranny if need be?

Just looking for opinions on the 302 engine I guess.

Jon

2. Man,,,if it's in your price range ,,,use it!

You are the only person that can make that decision,,,,,I have a hotrod with a flatty,,,,one with a sbc,,,and one with a 302 Ford,,,,,,if it fits ,,,go for it! HRP

3. 122wagon

122wagon
    from nowhere

throw that thing in there man, just strip off all the electronics and smog equipment. throw on a clean intake manifold, cool carbs, velocity stacks, some finned valve covers and from a quick glance you wont know its not an early sbf.

there are plenty of guys runnin "trad" hot rods with newer than '87 engines in them.

4. MENACE

MENACE
    from PHOENIX AZ

Go For It A Ford In A Ford Is Cool Im Doing A 302 With A 5 Speed In Mine Just Watch Your Oil Filter Mounting Clearence To Strg Box Can Be Troublesome Even With Remote Adapters

5. JonnyRockets

JonnyRockets

would there be much difference between a 302 from a mustang vs. a 302 from a truck? Googles not being my friend right now.

6. MENACE

MENACE
    from PHOENIX AZ

No All The Same Poss Some Oil Pan Differences But The Blockes Are All The Same Mustangs Have A Diff Fireing Order 351 As Compared To The Truck And Pass Car Engines

7. JonnyRockets

JonnyRockets

Thx for all the answers! appreciating it!

8. metalshapes

metalshapes

The same basic engine was introduced (in the Fairlane I think ) in about '62, as the 221.
    You could get one in a Falcon in '63, by that time it was a 260.
    I had a '64 with one of those...

Later it grew to 289, then to 302 ( 5.0 ).

You could dress up your 302 as a 221, if you wanted to...

9. repoguy

repoguy

I believe the truck motors weren't roller cam like the GT mustangs. I'm not sure. Real strong motors though. I have an 88 F150 with the same engine with 175,000 miles on it & it runs strong. Shaving 2,000 pounds out of the picture would probably make for a pretty quick little rod.

10. TINGLER

TINGLER

Yeah,
    Like everyone has already stated.....USE IT.

I have a '63 221 setting in my garage, a '64 289 setting in my Fairlane, and an '85 302 setting in my Willys frame rails.

They all look the same. The 289 and the 302 use the same engine mounts.

...the 221 is slightly different on the sides of the block. I believe it had 2 freeze plugs instead of 3 or something to that effect.

Its really not any difference at all. They are essentially the same engine.

If you want that 302 to look old, find some 221 parts to bolt on. Timing cover with the neato oil fill tube, etc etc.

Just watch the flywheel. The early 221/289/302's have a different imbalance than the later ones. I never can remember what year the changeover was...but its important. For example, you CANNOT take the flywheel off of my '64 289 and put it on a '85 302.

.....but I'm running my 221 flywheel on my 289.

Hope some of this helps ya.

11. TINGLER

TINGLER

Oh yeah, almost forgot.

Another major difference is the bellhousing bolt pattern. Up to '64 the 289's 221's and 260's had a 5 bolt bellhousing.

Your 302 will have a 6 bolt bellhousing.

Its not a big deal, but something to keep in mind when putting old parts on a newer engine.

Just find yourself a 6 bolt bellhousing and you're in the game. :)

12. TINGLER

TINGLER

....also, different trannys are no problem.

I'm bolting a manual 3 speed to my 302. I'm not even sure of the year of the 3 speed.

If it fits.

Use it. ;)

Ok. I'll stop replying now. I'm just excited that I can actually give out some info on this board. hahahaha..

TINGLER.

13. Harms Way

Harms Way

It work's for me,...... if I can ever get the other stuff out of my shop, and finish other guy's chassis work I want to finish this car for my daily beater,..
    ( trying to build it for under 8G's ) I've been calling this "Spare Parts" cause that's what it is. chop is 5.5" in the front 5" in the back,... engine is a 86 5.0 HO with a AOD.
    [​IMG]

14. BlackFlag

BlackFlag

GO for it. You can squeeze some pretty good numbers out of those motors. Mustang 302's are the 289/302 firing order, the newer mustang and older mustang H.O.'s were 351 firing order.

The single best upgrade for these motors is the heads. Their crap stock. Sure you can get a set of alum. heads. But whats the cool factor in that? Id say stick with a nice factory head E7TE, GT40P if its a newer engine are pretty common ones that have been great performers. Do a minor port job, and dump in some larger valves if you got the cash. I never thought of doing it up to look like a 221 or 260, it would be pretty cool to have a warmed over 302 putting down some good numbers with some crusty OEM valve covers that have the 221 logo's :D.

Anyway, what Im trying to say is you got a solid plan.

15. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

As pointed out, the truck motors for '87 will need the timing chain cover
    changed to a pre-86 cover to give ya something to bolt the manual fuel
    pump to. '86 and up all had EFI and electric fuel pump in the tank. If
    by some freakish chance someone changed out the truck motor for a
    H.O. motor, roller cam Mustang motor, they use the 351 firing order,
    not the 289/302 f.o. The heads off of the later Ford Rangers, bone yard
    item, breath better than stock heads. Shit can the factory headers, the
    early cast iron ones are better .

Swankey Devils C.C.

16. Frank

Frank

I think Pimpin Paint meant that the heads on a Ford Explorer breath better because some Explorers had the 5.0. Rangers never got V8's. But, yes, he is right about the heads. They are called GT40P heads and they are the best bang for the buck for a stock head, but they have a different exhaust bolt pattern than all other Ford heads. If you get these heads, keep the headers for the flanges and make custom headers. I am about to use a 91 5.0 out of a truck as well on my 28 RPU.

17. Wild_47

Wild_47

Im puttin a 302 im my truck as well...I dont see anything wrong with it.

18. ROADRAT EDDIE

ROADRAT EDDIE
    from New york

I just built a '29 pick-up with a 302 and t-5 out of a Cobra kit car

19. Squablow

Squablow

If you are ever in the area, I've got a '66 289 that runs good, has old finned aluminum valve covers on it, and an automatic, for $300. It's vintage enough.

Remember, if you have to buy an intake, carb, dizzy, and a bunch of other shit to make that motor work, it might cost you more in the end than using a different motor that's ready to go. If that isn't the case, I'd say go for it. Nothing wrong with a 302.

20. vendettaautofab

vendettaautofab
    Member Emeritus

I am not as hardcore as some people on this board when it comes to "traditional" and "period perfect", as my thoughts are that REAL tradition is using what you have and what resources are available to make a car your own and something you enjoy building and driving.

USE IT, but dont paint it blue, ha

21. elcornus

elcornus

I'm gonna be putting a 1970 351C 4V motor with a T-5 behind it in my '30 coupe.

Is it Trad.? I don't know. It is a Ford in a Ford, so thats all the trad I care about. Best part is, I already have the motor, and it runs killer! So I guess using my motor will be trad., right?

22. RODMAN58

RODMAN58
    from VIRGINIA

I got a 351C in my shoe box ford. I saw use what you got or what you can get cheap that will get you down the road. Ford in a Ford!
    Rod

23. JonnyRockets

JonnyRockets

Wow - thx for al the great info! and the offer for the motor at a good price - wish I could make a couple day trip down there ;)

How about this for shocking. Ford engine in a Chevy! GASP. haha.

If my buddy will still sell me the whole truck for 250 - I'll take it - yank engine and anything else I need - and good to go!

Thx again for all the responses - no matter what I end uip getting, I'm sure questions will be asked.

24. Fraz

Fraz
    from Dixon, MO

At one time VonDad and I had plans on putting a Flatty V8 in a 41 Chevy pickup, as that's what we had. Both engine and truck gone now tho.

25. KATFISH

KATFISH

If it feels good, do it....

26. Junkyard Jan

Junkyard Jan
    Member Emeritus

Sounds right to me. I'm putting a SBF in the '37 Chevy dirt modified stock car I just bought.....:)

27. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Im running a 302 in my traditonaly styled 28 RPU, I realy wanted a flattie but I need the relyability as it will be a daily driver. Dress it well and who cares??
    Go for it mate, what you can afford that will get you on the street. That is one hell of a lot cooler than having a half built car in the garrage for 20 years while you drive a Miata around!

As for a Ford in a Chebby?? There was a 34 Chev coupe getting around with a Y block in it a while ago over here in Oz, havent seen it in a while though. Best thing you could do to a chevy!!!

Doc.

28. The shoebox i bought from a felow HAMBer,has a 302 from a '86 mustang and a C4 tranny.Plenty of power!I think I remember him saying he put a bigger cam in it though.

29. TINGLER

TINGLER

I'm getting ready to put a 302 in a '58 Chevy Apache.

I like SBF's and I got one here....and a '58 that needs a motor....

It all makes sense to me.

FORDS RULE!

30. crossthread

crossthread

Got an 87 5.0 out of a wreck car for tow bill and a '29 tudor I paid way to much for found a locked up '68 289 for 80 bucks will use front cover and valve covers found a C4 at a yard sale for $35 I didn't haggle over the price.
    spent tons of money in machine shop found an old intake in trading post I got my rear at a chop shop that was busted will put a Ford in a Ford and paint it blue and if you don't like it screw you. I hope you understand, the hunt is as good as the getting.