Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects CUSTOM OR HOT ROD

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Jul 26, 2018.

1. jnaki

jnaki

Hey HRP,
    You have a nice new/old car. Sorry, the situation for your friend was not good. We will all come to that point one day or another… But, your Ford Coupe has all of the stuff to make a cool hot rod. Your friend did a good job, Halibrand Mags included, making it an authentic 60s hot rod.

Custom or hot rod? It is a hot rod with custom touches. That is what most cars are, unless it is a pure, custom show car, not a daily driver. No daily/weekly shopping for parts or groceries in a lowered, fully skirted, chopped, Ford Coupe.

After our fiasco in trying to buy a 46 woody in San Diego, we wanted a daily driver hot rod. So, I found a black 50 Ford Coupe about 20 minutes away in Santa Ana. It was black, had chrome rims/blackwalls, a three carb flathead and a 3 speed LaSalle trans with a long shifter handle. It was a nice coupe. The seller thought it was a show car (clean, but a daily driver, not a show car) and we bartered back and forth. The guy would not sway much, so I walked away. (Plus, my surfboard would not fit inside)

Here is one of the best looking and coolest 50 Ford Coupes in So Cal. It is owned by Steve Gibbs and can usually be seen just about everywhere, including car shows, Cacklefests, or his authentic Nitro Revival shows.

upload_2018-7-28_4-38-34.png upload_2018-7-28_4-39-8.png
    It is a cool hot rod, with custom touches. The stance is one that shows coolness, but slightly aggressive, lowered look. A flathead motor, beauty rings with small hubcaps and many uses as a push vehicle for the nostalgia drag racers, including the color matching, Speed Sport Special.
    upload_2018-7-28_4-39-50.png upload_2018-7-28_4-40-3.png
    upload_2018-7-28_4-40-16.png

Jnaki
    This is one fine, street, hot rod ready for any cruise, short or long distance.

upload_2018-7-28_4-41-30.png Seal Beach Car Show… hotrodhotline

2. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

Ron Bristow, a former alcohol funny car driver and very nice guy painted the car once, but there may have been more than one repaint.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2018
    3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  3. YES - the answer is YES. They can be Hot Rods OR Custom (And even Stockers :eek:)
    and YES, it was a DUMB question ;)

4. Drew Link

Drew Link

Aren't all of our cars customs? We have all changed them to suit our custom taste. Then again we did it to make sure they were hot rodded and could go fast. Now i have confused my self!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. ol55

ol55
    from Virginia

AMT '49.jpg

Your Choice "3 in 1" . I like your new ride.

Stogy, 3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  6. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

they make good Hot rods or customs.

Hombre, Stogy and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  7. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

not a done deal yet

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  8. Hope to know something next week. HRP

9. goldmountain

goldmountain

Stuff in a Desoto grille and ask the question again.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  10. 3 pot and toss the hood = Rod, lower all the way around, fender skirts and bullnose = Custom.

11. As said it depends how it's built. There was a guy a couple houses down from where I grew up who had a 49 Ford with a Caddy motor LaSalle Trans etc. . It was Black with a monster painted on the trunk and he was a crazy bastard.
    To me that was a Hot Rod. and here is a picture.
    georges50.jpg

HOTRODPRIMER and Stogy like this.
  12. The37Kid

The37Kid

Hot Rod = Really Nice Body Lines

Custom = 2-3 times the surface area to block sand...………….. and was it worth it?

Bob

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  13. Here's my criteria, for what it's worth.
    If you can remove the fenders and it still looks "right", it's a hot rod.
    If it looks like a parts pile with the fenders off, it's a custom.
    Either of the above 2 types can be a jalopy so there is some gray area.

HOTRODPRIMER and The37Kid like this.
  14. pragmatist

pragmatist

Hot rods require performance improvements. Customs are limited to cosmetics.
    "So let it be written. So let it be done.

HOTRODPRIMER and Gman0046 like this.
  15. Danny,
    With a 351 Cleveland, it’s undoubtedly a hot rod. Hot Rods have improvements to add more performance and your new car most certainly qualifies for that!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

HOTRODPRIMER and Hombre like this.
  16. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So what do you call a custom, with a 6-71 huffed 354 Hemi, on slicks?

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  17. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

After reading all of the responses, I finally know what my '57 is...

Its a traditional custom hot rod... thanks guys.

18. What would YOU call it?

19. blakejr57

blakejr57
    from Austin, TX

Late to the party as always, but was really interested to see HRP ask this question. As someone who is still learning all the nuances and ins and outs of all the different types of cars on the HAMB, I pondered this myself but would never have thought to post it here b/c I figured I'd about get tarred and feathered for asking such a question. Thanks HRP for taking the heat instead!
    My 51 appearance-wise has virtually no modifications, which seems to definitively exclude it from the Kustom class. And even though it has a variety of modifications to the flathead 8 and a C4 trans, no one is mistaking it for a hot rod either--it'll go when you give it the beans but it for sure isn't a racer, street or track. Now I am learning that years are part of the equation....
    I'd chime in with the others and say just call it what you want but if it were me I'd always be worried about the time someone disagreed and wanted to pop off about lack of knowledge of rod/kustom history, being a poseur, whatever. Who needs that. So I usually call it a cruiser, which probably makes some of you guys crazy because it means nothing, like calling foods "natural" or something. But it seems to me the best way to describe both the build and how I drive it.

HOTRODPRIMER and Sky Six like this.
  20. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

I call it an expensive (at times), temperamental (at times), challenging (at times), hurtful (knuckles etc.) bitchin car that I love to drive and have fun with :)

21. oldsman41

oldsman41

I think they make better mild customs than a hot rod kind of like a 49-51 merc nice custom not a hot rod imho.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  22. They quit making hot rods around 1940. After that they made customs and street machines.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  23. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

Do not know who owns it. But if I was building your car , this is the stance and wheel tire combo I would use. But since I am more of a custom hot rodder . I would keep the side trim and door handel's { hate solinoids!} , but I would shave and deck it and french the headlights and taillights. Of course me being me the paint would be dark and sinister, Most likely black . With a black and white interior similar to the one I did in my friend Chuck's old 34. But that's me . What ever you decide will be cool also. These cars are pretty hard to screw up! lol Larry SUNP0075 (1).JPG

24. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hi Danny!
    Just to further confuse the issue...lol.

HOTRODPRIMER and williebill like this.
  25. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The answer to your question is...
    Yes.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  26. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

There are Customs with Hot Rod modifications done to them. And there are Hot Rods with Custom modifications done to them.

HOTRODPRIMER and 0NE BAD 51 MERC like this.
  27. Shamus

Shamus
    from NC

Bought this in '93, sold in '94, bought it back in '95 - been sitting at least 15 years. IMG_1605.JPG

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  28. That is a cool car Rick and there is no doubt in my mind that is a full blown Custom with all the bells & whistles, I can appreciate the style & work involved to build a car like that but I want a car that can be driven daily & parked in a grocery store parking lot without worrying about door dings and scratches.

At my age I'm done with chopped tops, Brenda's wagon has convinced me the '50's cars are a lot more comfortable and that's what I want from the coupe.

I love my old Deuce sedan and the coupe won't replace it, the coupe is just a itch I had to scratch and I'm enjoying having another project. :D HRP