Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs copper oil pressure line vs plastic

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ned5049, Aug 1, 2018.

1. ned5049

ned5049

Went to the parts store in my Merc recently. When I got out I saw a streak of oil behind the car on the pavement. I had used a plastic tube for the oil pres gauge that came with the gauge set. Told myself I would put something better on but never did. The plastic completely broke off right at the fitting on the engine. [Olds 350 R code.] If I had't stopped when I did, it would have bled out, maybe before I noticed the pressure drop. I picked up a copper installation kit at adv auto and installed it . Oil pres reading a tad higher. Interesting ! I feel confident using the copper but would like something better. Thought maybe a 1/8 inch braided line to the firewall to a coupler I've in Summit and then a short copper line to the gauge. Any ideas out there?

das858 likes this.
  2. B Ramsey

B Ramsey

I can't believe they sell the plastic line still. Killed one of my dad's engines when I was little. Never used them since. Always copper tube.

3. noboD

noboD

Copper will break, it work hardens from vibration. Use cunifer tubing, a copper nickle alloy that is flexible and easy to form.

4. badvolvo

badvolvo

My 1959 Vette still has the original copper line installed in 59. A little coil on it absorbs the vibrations, expect it will outlast me.

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've had both break right at the fitting at the gauge in the past. A bit of hot oil on the leg lets you know you have a problem real quick.
    Agreed that a couple of loops/ coils at each end go a long way to dampen the vibration.
    I'm going to look into the cunifer tubing now that I see it suggested though.

Blue One, hidez57, deucemac and 2 others like this.
  6. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Exactly my experience many decades ago.....hot oil on the leg does get your attention. In those days nylon/plastic lines were unheard of, it was copper that fractured. The loops at either end are the answer and were routinely used on most factory installs of mechanical oil pressure gauges. Mopars of the late '40s/early '50s used a rubber pressure line between the engine and firewall. Ironically, the line that broke and doused me with oil was in my '53 Plymouth that had copper (or maybe steel) between the firewall and gauge.....o_O

Ray

Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
    chryslerfan55 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  7. badvolvo

badvolvo

I had one of those plastic lines (supplied with the gauge by autometer) blow on my turbo 6 back in the day while making a 1320' pass. It broke inside the car, sprayed my legs down with hot oil. BUT I was thrilled to find out what it was, I was expecting something worse. We plugged it at the fitting on the engine, refilled with oil and raced the rest of the night and won the event. If it didn't spray my legs, I expect I would have blown the engine before I noticed it.
    I'm sure there are better options than the copper, but it is traditional.

8. squirrel

squirrel

years ago Chevy used copper lines on the oil pressure gauge on the trucks, they held up pretty well. Then they switched to steel lines, with a few coils, and they did ok...although I did have one break, but it had an engine swap and was not following the original routing.

I learned about plastic lines and heat a long time ago, I use copper on mine. I've had a copper line crack and start leaking, but it didn't break off. Had a lot of miles on it, by the time that happened.

So...I'd suggest you use copper, and replace it regularly every 50k miles or 10 years, whichever comes first.

The fancy braided stuff with AN fittings, will work well too, but kind of expensive, bulky, and a PITA to install. And there are more places for it to leak from.

9. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Do they even make Cunifer small enough for this?

10. ned5049

ned5049

I did put a coil in the line at the engine fitting end to soak up vibration. Also the line was a little long and did not want to cut it. 20180801_100844 (1).jpg

11. ned5049

ned5049

Saw a plastic line on a friends car literally slide right out of the sleeve of the compression fitting on the back of the gauge.

12. 34Larry

34Larry

Also on the plastic front are those plastic looking clear fuel lines, that back in the day ran from a fuel block usually on the fire wall to the tri-power carbs. I still see them in use at shows. Hard plumbed with stainless tubing is what I did on my 57 with coils even on that install. It just looks dangerous with all that fuel passing through just above those frying hot exhaust manifolds.

chevy57dude and 5window like this.
  13. Deuces

Deuces

Ummmm..... What's an R-code olds 350????o_O:confused:

14. We ran plastic lines on the stock cars, the copper stuff would break from the shock the cars took. Give the plastic line a couple of loops and it was happy.

Elcohaulic, 54vicky and gimpyshotrods like this.
  15. 5window

5window

Probably will, but you'll know if it doesn't

16. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Had an OT car I had installed aftermarket gauges in. The copper line for the oil pressure gauge "telegraphed"; it went tick, tick, tick. Swapped to plastic and it went away. I can see problems with any line; all it takes is heat, vibration, and time. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

17. ned5049

ned5049

R code Olds is a 350 engine made by Oldsmobile in the 70's for for their cars but they also installed 350 Chevys in some models {88's}. Mine is a 77 engine

Atwater Mike likes this.
  18. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Yes it will, lost a near new rebuilt Chevy 250 because of it.

19. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

'Rocket' ! ;)

or under the circumstances of the day...'Real'

XXL__ and Deuces like this.
  20. Cant wait to see the face of the kid at napa when I ask for 1/8 th cunnifer tubing
    LOL

Driver50x, 3340, Montana1 and 4 others like this.
  21. Slopok

Slopok

Plastic and braided aren't traditional!o_O

chopped likes this.
  22. Deuces

Deuces

Big deal! Your gonna bicker about it??? I've used both with no problems...

I'm sorry.... All 3 of them! :rolleyes:

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  23. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Myself, I'd feel more secure with braided line, if pleasing the traditional police is an issue just cover it with black shrink wrap.

24. noboD

noboD

Google it, they do make it.

25. Deuces

Deuces

Great idea!!!!!!.... :)

26. 4wd1936

4wd1936
    from NY

No plastic for me. Funny story. Back in the 70s, I think Lincoln was president, my little girl, about four at the time, and I were coming back from picking up a couple of Christmas trees in the winter beater, a 47 pick-up with a 289 and 4-speed, old 50s radio in the dash. Cruising along listening to Christmas music my daughter says " Dad, there's oil coming out of the radio" Sure enough, in the cold the plastic oil line in the gauge above the radio had snapped and what a mess. Quick stop, bend the line over and the princess holds it all the way home still laughing. An hour or so with the steam cleaner and all was well with the added benefit of rust proofing the floor. We still laugh about it today, like to have those years back, she learned to shift a four speed in that truck.

27. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

I've used both (copper and nylon/plastic) with good results
    I guess some of it is the installation and or care..! One guy above noted that his friends plastic line "slid right out of the fitting"..! I rest my case.

In one of my cars, it has the nylon/plastic line in it. Been there for over 17 years, and it's a "daily driver..!"
    My current "daily driver" (still under construction), also has plastic oil pressure line...Teflon...stainless braid over Teflon tubing..!

Mike

Hnstray, Deuces and deathrowdave like this.
  28. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

Back in HS auto shop(68-69) one of the guys had a cherry 57 Chevy Bel-Air 4 door Ht. he got from his aunt who had it since new. Like most of us he couldn't stand to leave it alone, long shackles, used mag wheels, scavenger pipes, all the cheap cool stuff. He put a oil and amp gauge set under the dash with plastic oil tubing. One Friday he was telling us he had a drive-in date with a very friendly girl we all knew to be pretty loose. Long story short, they got to fooling around in the front seat and when he fired it up to leave they got soaked with oil. He was pissed, the girl was super pissed and that cherry Chevy interior was never the same.

29. Vimtage Iron

Vimtage Iron

On engines where I can get away with it I use 1/4" synflex line,it is plastic but uses the same fittings as copper tubing, and you put a sleeve inside the line to keep from crushing it,its thicker walled than plastic and won't break, its rated over 150 as it is used in the trucking industry on the air systems. Cover it with the old asphalt loom covering and your in it.

Hnstray likes this.
  30. choptop40

choptop40

Seems that plastic is better , the coiling is new to me...although I bent loops into my brake lines coming out of wall mounted master cylinder GM style...