Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects BACK AT IT FINALLY!! RE-BUILD OF AN EARLY CHEVY COUPE WITH A HEMI

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 31chevymike, Nov 13, 2017.

1. Hombre

Hombre
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You have to be able to see what you are welding. I use one of these lights, get it damn close but not in the way and I can see the puddle fine with this one. There portable and adjustable so that it will shine right on the work piece. I think mine cost around $35.00 qwzzx.jpg

2. simpsonrl

simpsonrl

You might try a lighter shade in your helmet. What shade are you using? Also, make sure and keep the smoke cleaned off the lens. It is surprising just how much a little smoke can reduce your light level.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. 31chevymike

31chevymike

That's a great idea - will look into this!
    I'm using 11 on the shade dial on my helmet. Does the visibility increase as the dial is turned toward zero? Now I'm wondering if there is a clear plastic film to take off the helmet's lens that I missed...

Bowtie Coupe and loudbang like this.
  4. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

I couldn't see crap welding, I tried 2 or 3 different helmets from cheap to $100 or so, even went to a 3.5 cheater lens. I tried lights, holding a LED flash light, you name it. I figured my eyes were just to bad to weld. A guy that owed me several favors brought me a Jackson helmet, I have a 1.5 lens in it and I can weld with no problem. When the arc strikes the it goes to like a blue tint and I have no problem. I'd say they are expensive but if I'd known it would have made this much difference I'd give $500 for it a long time ago.

5. simpsonrl

simpsonrl

The shade you use is related to the amperage you are welding at. Higher amps = higher shade. For the thin metal you are welding, the amps are low. The 11 shade is way too dark. Try a 9 shade.

I Tig weld at up to 150 amps and use the 9 setting on my helmet.

If the shade is too low, too much light comes in and that is hard to see too.

Don't be afraid to experiment a little.

31chevymike and loudbang like this.
  6. simpsonrl

simpsonrl

I have a magnifier in my helmet too. I use a 1.25. That way I can weld with out my glasses. It also helps make you a better weld because your mistakes look a lot bigger than they really are.

The disadvantage is the higher the magnification, the more reduce the range of distances that you can focus. That can be a problem in tight spaces where you can't get your head close enough.

7. 31chevymike

31chevymike

I've been looking at some blue lenses, just need to check on fitment for my helmet.
    I'm going back in my garage toward the weekend and try different shade settings on my helmet.
    I'll look into the magnifier as well - thanks!

loudbang and Stogy like this.
  8. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Weld done :D @31chevymike...I have only support to offer for quick learning curve and success in getting it all together...;)

Last edited: Jul 27, 2018
  9. Looks great!

10. 31chevymike

31chevymike

Thanks Stogy, appreciate the support. If I can just solve the issue of seeing the welds any clearer, I'll be moving right along with my build.
    Yeah Mike - the flux core move proved to have much better results as you mentioned earlier!

The 10w jack oil just came in so I'm stoked about finally using my new porta-power to hopefully place the bent frame rail back where it needs to be.

11. 31chevymike

31chevymike

Despite the dreaded heat in my garage, I went in and spent some time completing the flux core welds on the second front frame horn. Now, they are both welded on properly with excellent penetration as you can see in my photos.

This time, I went a bit further and welded up some of the bigger holes (3/8") in the frame rail as well. Not bad for some needed practice! You can see little peep holes, but will come back and finish them off with ease. You can see some of the low spots in the metal surrounding the butt welds, but will come back much later and fill with a metal filler to smooth up the rails like a baby's ass!

Next step on the weekend or so will be to use my new 4 ton porta power. My luck, it did NOT come with any instructions on how to use it. Anyone have any knowledge on its use? Just filled it up with some better quality jack oil, set my frame up on its side vertically with some 2 x 4's against the concrete floor and plan to use the porta power in a vertical position to push the passenger side area of the rail.

I'm gonna try to bend the rail from the bottom of the c channel from the lip. Question: should I cut the Chevy frame mount only on the passenger side to allow the frame rail to move easier? As always, the advice I receive from my fellow HAMBERS is extremely appreciated!

20180731_175741.jpg 20180731_175805.jpg 20180731_175833.jpg 20180731_175917.jpg 20180731_181920.jpg 20180731_181955.jpg 20180731_182605.jpg 20180731_182712.jpg 20180731_184719.jpg 20180731_184749.jpg 20180731_184825.jpg 20180731_185248.jpg 20180731_190143.jpg 20180731_190212.jpg

12. simpsonrl

simpsonrl

Looks good. Put one more little shot in the middle of the holes you welded up to account for the molten metal shrinkage as it cools. That way when you grind flush, there is enough weld metal. you should do this at the end of a weld also to keep from having a thin spot in the crater that can crack.

Also, it is good practice to strive to have a good transition along the edge of where the two pieces join. (I am referring to your first picture where the wide flange meets the narrower flange, the weld should go a little further.).

In the frame horn, it is not highly stressed, so should not be a problem, but good practice.

Keep up the good work!

Bowtie Coupe, Stogy, cactus1 and 2 others like this.
  13. 31chevymike

31chevymike

I'm having continued success with every attempt so far with the flux core welding - thanks for the compliment! I'm looking into a new helmet with XL viewing area...

14. Hombre

Hombre
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you are in the market for a new welding helmet do yourself a huge favor and look into a "JACKSON" Truesight II. They are a little pricey but well worth the extra money. For a little less money you could go with a "Jackson" truesight. As long as it's a Jackson you will be very happy with it.

15. 31chevymike

31chevymike

Yeah, I did see that helmet in my searches. I am going to buy an Eastwood auto-darkening helmet, model #XL9300 with an XL view and True Color technology. Features a slot to add a magnifying lens as well, along with a grinding setting so I don't have to lift up the helmet when grinding down my welds if needed.

When I was v-butt welding the other day, I missed the groove ever so slightly, causing me to come back with another bead to make sure the v-groove was filled adequately with the weld puddle. This is because I am not seeing the direction of my welds completely with my cheap helmet. Now that I'm getting the hang of it, an upgrade on a new helmet will have a huge impact on my welds going forward!

Last edited: Aug 2, 2018
    Bowtie Coupe and loudbang like this.
  16. Those look like my welds a half a roll of wire ago, keep practicing and you will get better.

17. 31chevymike

31chevymike

I'll also take this as a compliment!

loudbang and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  18. 31chevymike

31chevymike

Thinking about my frame situation deeper, I thought about purchasing another stock frame and cutting out a sizeable section of it to repair the bent section in my own frame. Sounds crazy, but it can work out very well as long as my v-butt welds are strong enough. I would come back and as I planned before, weld in the 1-1/2" square tubing in the upper and lower inside corners of the frame and finish off step boxing the engine and center x-member area.

So I place an ad in the wanted section of the HAMB last week and four days later, a fellow HAMBER responds with an original and STRAIGHT to what I believe is a '31 Chevy frame - finally texting me some photos early this morning!

He lives in Missouri, so it would be nearly impossible to pick up his frame. I'm hoping he would be willing to help a fellow hot rodder out and cut out the section that I need and send it to me UPS if it's not too long. My thinking is that he must have a '31 Chevy body and decided to go with a NEW chassis to rebuild his hot rod... Here's some photos that as one can imagine, is making me a bit crazy to possibly solve my frustration...

123_1.jpeg 123_2.jpeg 123_3.jpeg

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
  19. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

20. 31chevymike

31chevymike

Odd... The area code of this guy who texted me is 816, which I looked up on the net is the state of Missouri - NOT Pennsylvania from the link you typed on my thread. Creepers... Possibly a spam situation? I copied the response from the conversation he opened with me last Thursday - Low and behold, he has ZERO POSTS: oldKM.10, Thursday at 3:24 AM.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
    loudbang likes this.
  21. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

I would suspect a scam, this is one of the ways the scammers work!

loudbang likes this.
  22. Where in Missouri is he said to be Mike?

loudbang likes this.
  23. 31chevymike

31chevymike

Should I follow up with Ryan, our administrator?
    He didn't give me any information on where he lives - just his phone number. I only responded to his text on my phone. I can block him if necessary.

loudbang likes this.
  24. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Have you confirmed that he is a HAMBer? If he isn't or is a freshly joined member all you can do is not become a victim of a scam! It is possible that he is a good guy, but be aware of the warning signs and proceed with caution.

loudbang likes this.
  25. I would contact the HAMBer in PA that has the ad in the classifieds to see if he still has the frame. Sure looks like a scam (by the Missouri guy of course.)

loudbang likes this.
  26. ask him for another photo, with a left shoe, or something else of your choice, on top of the frame rail. to prove he actually has it. i bet he never replies back.

27. scam, just don't reply and let Ryan know....don't give him the time of day.

why not just buy some metal of the same gage as the frame and add patches? that's what i did with mine in the weak spot

loudbang likes this.
  28. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

I'm a full believer in the Jackson helmet and I tried several.

loudbang likes this.
  29. 31chevymike

31chevymike

He became a member EXACTLY a week ago... Yes, I will proceed with caution.
    I just contacted the member who started his ad in PA, wondering what is going on. Hopefully, he can clear this up with his response soon enough.
    I will try that, VERY clever idea man!
    This was a great idea for your situation Jeff, but not in my case. Look at the photo I took with my frame on the ground and placed my phone on the floor, aiming at the chassis rail with my T-square. Good to hear from you again! How is your coupe coming along?
    I believe you Mike, but the Eastwood helmet is more within my means.

loudbang likes this.
  30. 97