Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1940 Ford Pickup Too Low in Front

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BEM, Jul 30, 2018.

1. BEM

BEM

Agree on the build to drive. Agree on the front maybe being too low.

Can't agree with the mismatched comment. I see lots like it and like the look. Beautiful car you have there!

2. BEM

BEM

3. BEM

BEM

As for stance, you can thank Bob Bleed (member here) who did all the work at his shop.

scrap metal 48 likes this.
  4. 36 Penny Coupe

36 Penny Coupe
    from VA

My coupe had the same problem with a complete posies in the dirt front end with disks. Fenders rubbed when Turning. Added a 1” spacer and I love it. 15x6 wheels
    Just try it.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

5. BEM

BEM

Stock.

6. BEM

BEM

Called Pete and Jakes, where the axle and spring came from, they suggested a spacer too. I'm in contact with Posies about getting just the main spring with standard eyelet. Not sure I wanna run a spacer.

7. How about a stock ford drop axle, it’s 46.5” and Henry built. My truck I ended up raising a little, I found a cheap used stock eye posie spring.

8. alchemy

alchemy

I'm with Buck, have a pair of wheels made with another half inch or so less offset. Do you think a half inch would do it? There are many wheel builders that offer a 16" wheel with the 5.5" pattern. Maybe they would make a custom offset?

9. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

Just as a test, how about taking the spring u bolts loose, sliding a 1" spacer on the top of the spring and sitting it back on the ground. Would have di drill it for the center bolt. That might let you see if 1" is enough, it you like the look, etc. You might find 1" is not enough and the standard eye spring is the answer. I like them low but I agree with a few others, it does have a lot of rake. You have enough caster in it to deal with that much rake?
    SPark

10. teach'm

teach'm
    from Tucson, AZ

Years ago @hot rod pro and @CTaulbert both posted details about lowering ‘39/40 Fords. My ‘39 is not super low, but the narrowed axle (46.5” width if I remember correctly) really helped alleviate tire rub, even with 5.50/16 Firestone’s in front.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

11. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

12. alchemy

alchemy

39's and 40's have to have one end really low. If it's not the front, you are going to have a lot more work making it into a tail dragger.

Don't mess with the stance, either fix the wheels or use a narrower axle.

Dan Hay likes this.
  13. BEM

BEM

That sits about like mine. Love that car. Beautiful.

Would you be willing to take a few measurements for me? With the wheels straight, how far in does the tire sit? Looking at the wheel well, at about the 8-9 o'clock position on the driver's side. That's where I run into interference.

What is the center of your wheel well off the ground?

Can you turn your wheel all the way to the left and tell me how much distance you have then both at the front (8-9 o'clock position) and the rear of the tire?

Thanks!

14. BEM

BEM

I'm using a super bell that is 47.5" wide at the king pin with perches that are 38.5". This is 1" narrower than stock.

What can I get that's narrower than that and still fits this posie spring? I'm not finding one easily.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
  15. 47ragtop

47ragtop

I am on a "fixed" income now and getting by as cheap and easy as I can. Buying another axle and splitting the wishbone , buying new tires , custom wheels etc would not be options for me . I would try the spacer first, then change to a not as low reverse eye spring and last choice would be a stock eye spring. Some one mentioned busting the grille chin -- ask me how I know about busting the radiator as well !! Later Bill

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  16. teach'm

teach'm
    from Tucson, AZ

I chose to go with the narrower axle, and shorten/narrow the stock wishbone like @hot rod pro and @CTaulbert documented. I used a 46.5 inch Superbell tube, which has (if I remember correctly) the narrower 34 inch perch spacing. I also did a new reversed main leaf, but retained the rest of my stock spring pack, and added a Chassis Engineering tube shock kit and dropped steering arms. It’s extra work, but it really helps tuck the front tires in, which puts them under the high point of the fender. Mine will still rub slightly at times, but it’s much better than when it had the stock width axle and 6.00/16’s.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
    CTaulbert likes this.
  17. B1gDaddy

B1gDaddy
    from aladambama

Wow, ride height is on.

What color red is that?

18. When I built my '39 Ford convertible I used a narrowed axle,if I recall correctly U believe it was a 47" axle. HRP

19. oldolds

oldolds

If you had somebody drop an axle, couldn't they narrow it as well? That way you could use the same bones? Or will that mess up the amount it can turn?

20. alchemy

alchemy

If it was mine I'd use a 35-36 axle and wishbone (more axle outside the perch for a deep drop and stretch it inward), and see if Posies will sell you a main leaf for a 36 wishbone size spring. The rest of the leaves are probably the same as the 40 spring you have.

teach'm likes this.
  21. socal34

socal34

If you are running steel wheel you could move the offset in 1" on new wheels, it work for me on my 40

22. BEM

BEM

Mine is 47.5". Stock is 48.5". I don't think .25" on each side will do it.

23. BEM

BEM

Know where to get some stock style 16's with the better offset?

24. BEM

BEM

It's a Super Bell axle.

25. BEM

BEM

Guards Red (Porsche Red)

26. BEM

BEM

I'm likely going to try a 1" block and see if that gets me there. That'll get me through getting the build on the road, and then maybe I can sort out an alternative. If I could find a stock-style 16" wheel with another inch of offset, that would be perfect. Every nut and bolt is new on this truck, so ripping out the front end and changing the axle, splitting it, etc. just seems like something I don't want to do at this point. I REALLY appreciate all the replies.

If the 1" block works and doesn't kill my stance, I'll probably get the Posies 2040S spring and take the block out.

27. BEM

BEM

Posies told me that swapping the main spring is only good for 5/8". The other springs are arched differently between the 2040 and 2040S (stock eye) spring setup.

28. BEM

BEM

Thanks. That's only .5" narrower than I have, or .25" on each side, so I'm not sure that would make a big difference. But THANKS!

Dan Hay likes this.
  29. alchemy

alchemy

Is Bob Bleed comfortable trying to change the offset of some 40 wheels? Drill out the rivets, smack the rim a little farther back on the center, spin it and adjust it till it's straight, then tack and weld. It's worth a try. A nice pair of stock 40 wheels could be had for $100, and a couple hours labor in modifying them.

30. sliceddeuce

sliceddeuce

Truck isn`t too low....The track is too wide.