Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1934 Ford pickup hot rod wind noise

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by DennieC, Jul 25, 2018.

1. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

This won’t fix the wind noise but have you posted any of these pics on the “Louvers” thread?
    Looks like a beautiful truck. My 32pu will most likely not be anywhere near this purty when finished.
    Oh stupid question but was the wind noise different before the louvers?
    Wyatt

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. DennieC

DennieC

Not a stupid question at all. The roof louvers were put in this last winter and the hood louvers maybe several years ago. I have over 6000 miles on the truck since I got it on the road and the wind noise has been there all along. Thanks for the louvers thread tip and compliment.

Runnin shine likes this.
  3. wide34

wide34
    from Texas

I understand what you are talking about regarding wind noise because my truck had the same problem. I hope you ignore the "it's a hot rod, its going to make noise" gang and find a solution, driving without hearing protection was a real threat to my ears (I had a very high pitched howl which I thought might have occurred because I widened the body) and I tried a number of things including suggestions from members here. I did not punch holes in the visor as I like the current visor so I finally took a friend along and at 70 MPH he kept feeling above the windshield and behind the visor for air leaks. While I thought I had done a pretty good job of sealing them up he found several but the worst one was a 1 inch by 1/4 inch gap alongside the left windshield post that created the worst part of the howl .We caulked and sealed everything we could and then added sound insulation material on top of that. The howl is gone but still plenty of road noise! Hope you find your leak as I know its no fun driving with ear plugs.

4. Well, let's see here..........
    Your truck is:
    1-Too low
    2-Too old
    3-Too black
    4-Too noisy
    5-Too fast
    ?-?-?-?
    Nope. Nothing to fix here. Drive on regardless. :cool:

5. Plan B:
    1-Get a big roll of weatherstripping.
    2-Wrap it around your head so your ears are covered when you go driving.
    3-Call it "problem solved".
    :p

barrnone50 and Chili Phil like this.
  6. maplefrm

maplefrm
    from Central IL

After driving more than 30,000 miles in our 5 window '32 we have found that trips are more enjoyable at 60-65mph on 2 lane roads than doing 70-80mph on the interstates. Ours is insulated, weather striped and everything else to keep down the noise, it still is loud. It has a flat windshield so I don't believe it will ever be quiet.
    Drive 60, take 2 lane roads and smile! Nice looking truck.

7. DennieC

DennieC

Thanks for your comment. That your "32" has wind noise (no visor) answers my question "will cutting off the visor, end the wind noise?" I have decided to not cut the visor. All of the comments and suggestions that I have received here have been extremely helpful in improving my attitude toward and acceptance of my trucks wind noise.

Bandit Billy likes this.
  8. Pete

Pete

Haha, I thought the same thing.

RoddyB34 likes this.
  9. 34Larry

34Larry

I have read and heard by word of mouth the following. "Hotrods are loud, smell bad, fast, and can be a pain in the ass". Mine is three of the four, not a pain, and I like it that way. I did not expect it to be like driving my Buick Enclave. (Oh the smell bad part is the gas fumes from carbs needing rebuild)

10. barrnone50, Kiwi 4d and nunattax like this.
  11. DennieC

DennieC

Haha, we already have a Honda.

12. DennieC

DennieC

Why don"t you run it with the windshield out, then you can really feel manly.

13. CAHotRodBoy

CAHotRodBoy

Smell bad? I never heard that before. You sure they were talking about hot rods and not hot rodders?!? :eek::D

14. DennieC

DennieC

Yes, those are louver stamped in aluminum panels. They help hot air exit out of the truck DSCN3752.JPG DSCN3753.JPG

15. finn

finn

Another area to investigate is the engine and transmission mounts. My 36 pickup had solid engine mounts and a poly transmission mount. Switching to stock rubber Chevy side mounts reduced the noise transmission, and I will be ditching the pos aftermarket poly trans mount soon in favor of a rubber 350 mount.

I also question your use of thin aluminum for the interior panels (if I understand correctly) and the roof panel, if noise level is an issue to you. The louvres aren’t doing you any favors, either.

Aluminum looks racy, but has very poor noise attenuation characteristics. Something stiffer, with better damping characteristics will keep the panels from resonating and amplifying the vibration induced noise.
    Gluing or otherwise directly applying some sound deadened to the back of the panels will help.

Make sure your exhaust system has flexible hangers, no frame or body contact, and you may want to investigate a woven wire flex coupling like new cars use for an improvement.

One last thing. Run up to cruising speed and drop the transmission in neutral, then cut the engine completely and report back with your observations.

ThreadMaster90 and alanp561 like this.
  16. 55styleliner

55styleliner

My 28 is unbearably noisy with the windshield pushed open. Not too bad with the windshield closed and side windows open.

17. haileyp1014

haileyp1014
    from so cal

Cutting your balls off isn't an option either is cutting off the visor

ThreadMaster90 and Muttley like this.
  18. DennieC

DennieC

Total agreement. The visor will definitely stay. Thanks. DSCN3728.JPG

19. Cool truck.
    Maybe try applying card board and masking tape to temporarily block off the underside of the visor just to see if there is a change? At least then you know you're looking in the right area or not.

20. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice job on lengthening the cab.

21. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

Like others have said, it is like a pushing a barn door. It is impossible to quiet.
    My model A has gone over 150 at Bonneville several times and the measured sound level near the driver's head at that speed was 104 db. Ear plugs, a head sock and helmet cut this to about 85, which is still very uncomfortable.
    If you want QUIET, drive it in parades at 3 mph like I do. The stereo really sounds good then.
    Oh, and one other thing, if you want quiet, NO straight through type mufflers..

22. Rick & Jan

Rick & Jan

Here's my '34. 302,C4, 8". Unchopped, Loud as Hell inside, fun to drive. You should do the same!! Drive It! IMG_0382[1514].jpg

Last edited: Aug 24, 2018
    warhorseracing likes this.
  23. yea, that is one cool truck what ever you do don't make any changes that will mess with the looks. I can see some weatherstrip work maybe but that would be it.
    I have a 1946 International truck ( all stock) and it is very noisy and it only goes about 50 MPH. There is a lot of tire noise but most of it is wind noise, so bad that I can't hear the wife talk. I'm sure my '40's international is more aerodynamic than your truck so you may not get far with making it quiet but good luck. Really just wanted to say what a cool truck you have. Oh, and we don't have a problem with the noise! or I guess I should say I don't.

24. Terrible80

Terrible80

I wonder I'd some vertical wind deflectors, on the sides of the windshield would do anything?

Sent from my LG-TP450 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

25. 2NDCHANCE

2NDCHANCE

My idea seems to be lost in this thread. For no money you could remove the back window and give it a try. My 34 pickup had a ton of turbulence in the cab at highway speeds and faster. I always figured if I could get it to flow through it would help.....just say'n. Gary

Last edited: Sep 19, 2018
  26. NOISE! WHAT?:rolleyes:

Better yet go but yourself a new truck, give the one that you are complaining about. Noise problem solved;).