Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical should I put a step plate on Clarence's new running boards?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by atch, Jul 29, 2018.

1. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oddly, this time it is not I causing the problem. I know, I know. This running board protection is aimed at the clod that needs to put his foot on something to tie his shoes or the kid that runs up to and jumps on the boards to get a good look inside.

I'm not too fond of yelling at kids as it is usually the parent's lack of training causing the problem. My aim is not to educate someone's little darling but to lower my blood pressure.

Hnstray likes this.
  2. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

3. atch

atch

Well, folks, I never really considered putting steps on. I suppose the title was a ploy to get folks to read this. The answers I was looking for are in some of the posts a ways back up wherein alternate ideas were mentioned; coatings over or in the paint that would protect the running boards. The posts below are my answer. Thanx to everyone who took the time to read/respond.

4. As a side note....I used to see those step plates a lot on Model A's back in the 60s and 70s. Were they ever a Ford part or were they all aftermarket add-ons?

5. People will step everywhere but the step plate.

6. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Well, I’m going threw a similar thing in my head with the model a build. I’m going black so I’m leaning towards powder coating.

Though even with the blue a good powered coating guy could match it.

Seems like you could use an industrial enamel like the use on trains and tractors, mix it to match and go for it. Be easy enough to touch up.

Seems like if you put a lot of paint on it would crack after being stepped on a million times.

I can see where you’d be going in circles about this. Guess just paint them and keep the paint code handy. They aren’t that big, should they need touched up it wouldn’t be a huge deal to mask them and paint it

7. fab up some aluminum strips for the top of the ridges
    or
    paint them with some 2 part epoxy paint
    or
    when i was painting boats we used a product called Awlgrip. it is a polyester based high gloss topcoat giving long lasting gloss and color retention. it held up really well on the off shore charter fishing boats we used it on (way more hostile environment than a car show)
    http://www.awlgrip.com/products/topcoats/awlgrip-topcoat.aspx
    Chappy

Tim likes this.
  8. CudaChick1968

CudaChick1968

Actually I would be surprised if it CAN'T be matched. My main supplier has over 6,500 powder colors in stock (you might even find it in a non-slip texture).

9. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A report on the running board solution that I mentioned a couple of days ago-

The boards are done and they look like they did before. That's a good thing. I'd put a picture in but all you could see is the running boards. If you look really close with your bifocals you can see the line in the right light. If you can't then you can feel the edge with a finger nail.

So I may be traditional if you have less than perfect eyesight. I mentioned some time back in answer to the question
    "are all your drivers traditional?" and my answer was yes, from a distance.

Nothing has changed.