Register now to get rid of these ads!

49 pontiac carb

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by old chevy nut, Apr 23, 2013.

1. old chevy nut

old chevy nut
    from va

hey guys, hope someone out there can help me, i have a 49 pontiac with the straight 8, i keep having alot of trouble with my carb, have rebuild twice in 6 months and i still have trouble with it, its the stock carter 2bbl question is i want to upgrade to a new rodchester 2bbl, has anyone did this or have any ideas? pm me or? thanks

2. carbking

carbking

The original Carter WCD 2-barrel, along with the Rochester 2-GC, (opinion) are 2 of the finest two-barrels ever made.

The Carter is virtually bullet-proof, unless Dr. Goodpliers (the evil twin of Mr. Goodwrench) has been into the carb.

That carb, properly rebuilt, is good for at least 100,000 miles.

What kind of issues are you having?

Jon.

3. old chevy nut

old chevy nut
    from va

the carb was rebuilt 2 weeks ago by a reptible guy, ran fine for a few days, is getting fuel but wont run at all, if i pour gas in it will try to start but still wont run

4. pontiac

pontiac

As mentioned above... those carburetors are really good carbs. I'v used old ones that have sit without rebuilding them and got them to run pretty good. I rebuilt the one on my car now and never had a bit of trouble.

Are you running the original fuel pump or do you have an electric one on it?
    Is it possible it's not the carburetor and possibly fall back on the fuel tank being dirty or something in the line or filter somewhere restricting fuel flow?

It may be getting fuel, but it may not be enough. I HAVE HAD a similar problem before (1952 Straight Eight) and it about drove me nuts. My problem ended up being my fuel tank. I took it off and cleaned and resealed it -flushed my lines and cleaned my filters. Haven't had a problem since and that's been 3-4 years ago.

When I had my fuel problem in the past - my car would run fine sometimes and wouldn't run at all others. I can remember it'd run great, then I'd start down the road and make it about 2-3 miles and it'd sputter and die and wouldn't start. I'd take the top off the carb, clean it, put it back together... blow the lines out and it'd run good for a day or so then start it all over again. All the same while i'd look in the carb and open the accelerator and see gas spray into the carb - I thought it was fine, but apparently wasn't getting enough fuel.

If you still think it's just your carb, I do have a Carter WCD 720 SA off a 1952 Pontiac straight eight if you're interested. It was on my car a few years back before I rebuilt another I had and swapped it out. It ran fine with it and idled good. It'll need the top switched out as I broke the inlet off for the thermostat choke, but other than that and a clean up It should be fine for you...

Last edited: Apr 23, 2013

5. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Do you have a filter BEFORE the carb? Better yet before the fuel pump. don't take much crap to screw up a carb.

Deuces likes this.
  6. FWIW, I've had good cores for those carbs and you could buy them on eBay all day long for like $10, I didn't even bother to list any of them they were going so cheap.

7. Brett Wells

Brett Wells

Hi there guys I went to a swapmeet the other day and bought for $10 a Carter WCD two barrel carb, but it has three bolt base plate like 97 Stromberg and Holley 94, what year did the se get made and what were they used on? any help would be great, many thanks BJ

8. carbking

carbking

Carter produced the first WCD in 1941 and continued the run through 1970. We have 172 different listings for WCD in our database. Some were three bolt mounting, others were four bolt mounting.

Jon.

9. BJR

BJR

If you are running the stock original fuel pump the new gas will destroy the rubber parts in it. When the rubber deteriorates the particles end up in the carb, plugging it up. You need a newly rebuilt fuel pump and a new manufacture carb rebuild kit. NOS (new old stock) rebuild kits, or fuel pumps, will not take the ethanol in the gas and will give you nothing but trouble. As said already, you also need a filter before the carb.