Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical After color sanding, buff with foam or Wool pad ?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by blazedogs, Jul 30, 2018.

1. blazedogs

blazedogs

Yup have orange peel..See both being used after color sanding the top finish coat.( now ready to buff) Which is the better to use the wool fabric or foam pad ? Gene

2. CustomUpholstery

CustomUpholstery

According to my son, who was a detailer: the wool pad will cut faster than the foam pad, so that should help guide your decision. If you're comfortable with buffing and familiar with the techniques, then you could use the wool pad. If you're fairly new to buffing, or unsure of your abilities, then go with the foam pad - it'll be more forgiving. Be sure to pay attention with the foam pad, as it can build up heat if working the same spot too long.

3. depends on what grit paper and buffing products
    single stage or base/clear?
    what type of paint?
    I like foam and hate the old school heavy compounds

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  4. southcross2631

southcross2631

Be careful with foam pads ,they have cutting and buffing pads. If you are a rookie at buffing fresh paint tape the edges . Burn through can be a total buzz kill.

5. I like the foam pads,
    But I usually block sand the clear with 600 wet , sand it flat then shoot another flow coat of clear. Then it lays really slick, 2000 the nibs out and foam pad.

Hnstray and flatford39 like this.
  6. They have sand paper as fine as 5000
    3m color matches the foam pad to match the compound/polish
    They also have some nice videos on YouTube

Hnstray likes this.
  7. Poverty cap

Poverty cap

Has the paint been on for a while or is it fresh, your comfort level with buffing, the type or rpm of your buffer these are all considerations in the pad you chose, also old paint and many of the high solid paints get hard so a more aggressive pad and compound may work best.

8. flatford39

flatford39

I like foam pads...they can be very forgiving but you need to know when to change them. Each color pad has it's own level of abrasion. I find them to give you more accuracy than the wool pads.

9. i really like the foam pads and the matching compounds.........i use the wool pads to wash cars and on my floor jack to keep from scratching chassis paint.

Slopok, Hnstray and anthony myrick like this.

10. here is a good video on the 3m stuff
    this does not cover the sanding steps for removing the orange peel
    this would cover the steps for after wetsanding the orange peel

11. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

Wool pads make my nose itch! lol But seriously I have used foam pads for over 25 years and The results are always award wining. This paint job is now 13 years old in this picture. Larry SUNP0083 (1).JPG SUNP0074 (1).JPG

Last edited: Jul 30, 2018
    40FORDPU likes this.
  12. snopeks garage

snopeks garage
    from macomb MI

I use wool because it cuts a little faster then foam

13. I start with wool ( step 1 ) and finish with foam ( steps 2 & 3 ) using 3M products.

14. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

I usually use wool then foam for polishing, like the others. Mostly because I like to wait a month before sanding and buffing, so the paint is really hard. Foam will do it, though, if you're not experienced with a buffer. wool cuts FAST!

anthony myrick and flatford39 like this.
  15. DennieC

DennieC

I have been completely happy using foam pads on both acrylic lacquer and catalyzed enamel. I believe that the compound determines the cutting speed. Keep your foam pad or wool pad immaculately clean and store is plastic bags. A chunk of grit on the pad will ruin your day.

0NE BAD 51 MERC and flatford39 like this.