Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 34 Ford coupe nicknamed "Blown Income"

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by GTO_MUSCLE_SS, Nov 23, 2017.

1. GTO_MUSCLE_SS

GTO_MUSCLE_SS

When I first went to the DOL I had the numbers checked and they said it was out of the system because of not being registered forever. So that was good. I had her do a history on it and it was past 7 years which is what ours goes back. So all was good. I asked her about 3 year registration only and she asked if it was going to be a street rod or hot rod well I said ya. A hot rod. Well that’s where I screwed up. Under Washington inspection you can go and just have the numbers looked at with a complete vehicle and they can give you papers. Since I said it was going to be a hot rod that classes it differently. Then it had to be operational. Huge mistake on my part. Should have said I just wanted a numbers check back when I got it and I would have still had the car taken from me but without all the labor.

SS327, loudbang, Hombre and 1 other person like this.
  2. GTO_MUSCLE_SS

GTO_MUSCLE_SS

Bandit Billy, loudbang and Hombre like this.
  3. Sounds like there's some hope. I wish you all the best.

loudbang likes this.
  4. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow! This absolutely amazes me. Thanks for taking the time to educate us. Hoping for good news soon.

loudbang likes this.
  5. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

Best of luck to you, hope everything works out in your favor. It sure is a sweet build, for people saying it should have been put back the way it was, that's a bunch of crap. You done your thing and plus made it a lot safer.

loudbang and Hombre like this.
  6. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

I agree with Chris, the burden of proof is on the guy in Modesto that he actually has a CA title in his name, not his mothers that matches your VIN# and if a bill of sale exists especially a notarized one, that would be proof of a legal sale.

P.S. I hope you get your car back soon and I do like what you did with it so good luck and yes LAWYER UP!!!

loudbang and Hombre like this.
  7. GTO_MUSCLE_SS

GTO_MUSCLE_SS

Well, more news. Talked to the people who sold it originally to the guy I got it from. They have been family friends with the Genasci family for generations. Lived on the same farm until their house burned in 1997 and they moved. Everyone was friends and the car had been put away by their grandfather in a storage container and buried with stuff dating back to Vietnam time. So a deal was made somehow and the car was NEVER STOLEN...
    Now the hard part is getting ahold of Ron Genasci and getting him to sign over the car because from what I was told he may have been paid insurance on it in 1997 but that’s unknown and the police now have told him not to talk to me because it’s their case. What a damn story and Ordeal. I told this real nice couple I’d be glad to fly down and meet him and if he was paid out for the car, I’ll pay that money. Hoping for some good karma to go through for me and that I can talk to Ron

Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
  8. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Finger Crossed, Welded.....and Duct taped...no funny faces just Hope...

As eluded you are going to have to rename yourself to Inspector Clouseau

[​IMG]

Your diggin' up some very helpful stuff in your favor.

loudbang likes this.
  9. Hombre

Hombre

GTO, You know man I think I am like most guys on here and I am hoping for a good outcome for you. This story is intriguing and all of us are a little curious.

If old Ron was paid out by an insurance company for the car, and it was not stolen, what were they paying for?

Then if there is an insurance company involved that is probably a bad thing. You see if they paid x amount of dollars in 1997 for some reason. They are going to want there money back. And its not only going to be just the principal amount but there is going to be interest on that since 1997. If they did pay out money in 1997 for the car and that was for the total value of the car, then legally the insurance company now owns the car. Man o man this could be a real bag of worms. I hope not but it sure could be.

I also have my fingers crossed and hope for the best outcome possible for you.

loudbang likes this.
  10. GTO_MUSCLE_SS

GTO_MUSCLE_SS

I don’t think insurance paid for it because there was no car to look at. I don’t think insurance was involved at all but I am no longer speculating anything. Just searching for facts. Going to try and hunt down the police report

Bandit Billy and loudbang like this.
  11. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

If the car was stolen and Ron was paid off by the insurance Co., then going forward, Ron no longer has any (legal) interest in the car because he agreed (signed off) on the settlement and received a check. If and when the insured goods (car) are recovered, it becomes the property of the insurance Co. This is how stolen and recovered cars (including Hot Rods) end up in auto auctions.

If the car was NOT actually stolen and a claim for theft was made by Ron and the insurance Co. paid out, that is clear insurance fraud. Either way, you don't need to "deal" with Ron. The only time you'd have to deal with him is if the court decides it's (still) legally his car. Then, you'd have to try to "buy" it from him.

My big concern here would be if it was paid out by insurance and they get involved and decide they feel they have a right to the car (ownership) and fight for it. They may have paid out a few grand for it and now see a 40k+ car...

It could get ugly like these treasure ship battles. Hope this gets investigated and unceremoniously dropped by the WA State police...

Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
    56shoebox, INVISIBLEKID and loudbang like this.
  12. At this point, I think I would avoid any dealings with this Ron and keep building the facts that you are. You could be putting yourself at risk. I'd leave him in the dark and to his own devices while you build your case. Again, best of luck.

13. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

^^^^ Ask your lawyer about this question . ^^^^

loudbang likes this.
  14. Jeremy Jalopies

Jeremy Jalopies

Ya know I read the story from a facebook link and thought "thats cool the old dude is getting is car back" After reading the first 4 pages of this thread and seeing the work done to the car and I shook my head a few times at how great the car looks I'm really pulling for you and will be following this story.

loudbang likes this.
  15. 51farmtruck

51farmtruck

Man, what a shitstorm... my head hurts! Hope you get a happy ending.

loudbang likes this.
  16. fordaholic

fordaholic

How's it going with this beautiful Coupe ?? hope it's all good for You !!

loudbang likes this.
  17. GTO_MUSCLE_SS

GTO_MUSCLE_SS

Right now I’m playing the waiting game. The nice state trooper told me “it’s like having your car in a armed guarded vault” there is still no proof of ownership out of California. The people who got it out of the barn have called Ron and his wife and now she deals with callers about the car. The stater read the police report but it doesn’t make sense because there wasn’t a proof of ownership that she can find. Anyhow WA is going to try and get the stolen report voided since the car was still on the same property from 1968-2014. Never moved from storage so clearly it wasn’t stolen. So I anxiously am just waiting.

18. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I was wondering too. Figured there was not much to report. Time crawls slow. Good luck.

loudbang likes this.
  19. rpm56

rpm56

When an insurance company pays off on an unrecovered auto theft claim, the insurance company buys the car from you. The title is then put in the insurance company's name. When a stolen vehicle is recovered, the police contact the insurance company if a claim was paid. Doesn't sound to me like a claim was paid. Best of luck to you GTO.

loudbang likes this.
  20. GTO_MUSCLE_SS

GTO_MUSCLE_SS

And that’s just it. He hasn’t shown any proof of ownership and if the other family had the car dating back to mid 60’s and stored it in 68. That means it was claimed stolen 29 years later by someone who wasn’t the owner. I don’t understand it all

Last edited: Jul 30, 2018
    loudbang likes this.
  21. rpm56

rpm56

Ya, It would be nice to get a look at the theft report (CHP 180 form in Calif). It would list the registered and/or legal owner, and who signed for it as stolen. I've no idea how GTA's are handled now, but I never had anyone but the registered owner sign the 180.

loudbang likes this.
  22. -Brent-

-Brent-

loudbang likes this.
  23. GTO_MUSCLE_SS

GTO_MUSCLE_SS

Here’s the email I got yesterday morning.

loudbang likes this.
  24. GTO_MUSCLE_SS

GTO_MUSCLE_SS

Good morning Mark. I am truly sorry I have not been able to contact you by phone. Between 6 an 6:30 is my only free time and then I get caught up in the whirlwind of our scheduled appointments. I have also been out of the office. So before I get caught up in today's appointments I am just going to settle for emailing you.
    The investigation and case belongs to California so I have included all the information that you had provided to me in the case file for them. I have also spoken with the detective that is handling the case and I have let him know the information you provided for me as well. The WSP file will be available through "Public Disclosure." I would assume that you should be able to get access to California case records in the same manor.
    The car has been transported back to California.

Respectfully,
    Stacy Cobb
    Washington State Patrol
    Vin Officer- Badge x619
    [email protected]
    360-654-1135-Marysville

Stogy, Hombre and loudbang like this.
  25. GTO_MUSCLE_SS

GTO_MUSCLE_SS

That’s how my day started yesterday and ended with sadly with my Mothers passing. So I absolutely have to get this car back. If anyone in California knows anything I can do. I need to get the car back. I don’t care what it takes. My mother helped so much with this car and the times I went to get parts and see people about it.

Stogy, Hombre and loudbang like this.
  26. -Brent-

-Brent-

That last sentence... ouch.

Edit: And, shit, I just saw your last post. So sorry for your loss.

loudbang likes this.
  27. So sorry to hear of your mothers passing

loudbang likes this.
  28. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Very sorry about your Mom as well as the car. May the good Lord bless you with the car back in her memory.

loudbang likes this.
  29. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sorry to hear about your mothers passing. I wish I had information to assist you in California but sadly I do not. My best wishes for a quick and favorable resolution to this whole SNAFU.

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  30. jimdillon

jimdillon

GTO Muscle every lawsuit is different in some respects but as an attorney I have handled lawsuits that involved some of the principles that may be involved in your situation. Since you live in Washington state and the competing claim to your car is in another state there are possible federal issues. I believe you may have mentioned that you had a local lawyer and that is certainly advisable. I handled a lawsuit years ago dealing with a stolen car and involved three states and the lawsuit took a few years to weave through the courts, so you have to be determined but that should not scare you. Legal fees can get crazy so be upfront with the lawyer you chose that you do not want to spend more than the car is worth for instance. I believe you may be able to attempt to get it back without spending a king's ransom.

That being said what I would do is contact a local lawyer and ask if you can bring a claim for replevin. This is an equitable remedy and in some states has become outdated and can be called an action for claim and delivery. If you want, you can google it to see what it means and involves.

If a claim can be made on your behalf, the authorities in California may believe it is best for the civil courts to handle it rather than just handing the car over to the California alleged harmed party. If the California authorities after investigation do not have a superior claim to yours then it may be returned to you since they do not and should not become involved in handing over an automobile to someone with a weaker claim than yours. If you were able to file a claim for the return of the car they may very well believe that you may have a legitimate claim.

I am not trying to step on your lawyer if you have one but you may ask what you can do in the way of filing such a claim and see if such is viable solution in your state. Just a suggestion. Good luck.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2018
    Dick Stevens, Stogy, loudbang and 3 others like this.