Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My '32 5 Window Project - Done and Cruising!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LM14, Apr 14, 2018.

1. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

Another good doctor day. Cuts meds in half again. Hopefully in 10 days we do it again then again 7 days after that and re-start the infusion therapy. Trying to get back on track.

Got the gas tank access hole cut in the trunk (need to do a lot of cleanup on it still) and the hole for the master cylinder access. Made a panel for each from steel. Trapped one end and lock it in place with a single machine screw. Trying to keep it simple and clean.

SPark

cover1.jpg cover2.png cover4.png cover5.png cover6.png

2. kursplat

kursplat

nice work. did you epoxy a nut on the backside of the glass?

3. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

For now I have expanding rubber 1/4" threaded plug on each bolt. Worth a try.
    [​IMG]
    SPark

brEad and Stogy like this.
  4. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

Spent most of last night and part of today working on hood alignment. Since I had the new cowl/radiator lacing I could start to get more serious about it. Ran the lacing thru my bead roller with a female 3/8" roller on the bottom and a flat roller on top to flatten the too fat stuff they supply. Seemed to work out well doing that. Still need to go a bit further with it but it's getting close. Shimmed under the radiator mounts a bit and things worked out. Got a good line at the firewall bead all the way around, still need to do some work on the grille shell end.

That allowed me to at least figure out where my hood latch brackets had to be. Got them created and tacked in place. Looks like that will work out fine.

Modified the firewall support braces/feet. Cut them off at the bend where they hit the firewall (mine sets about 1" behind the stock location apparently), added some material and a new attachment flange. Don't have a TIG but I have a MIG and some really good grinders! Making progress!

SPark

hood12.jpg hood13.jpg hood14.jpg firewallfoot8.jpg firewallfoot3.jpg firewallfoot4.jpg firewallfoot5.jpg firewallfoot6.jpg firewallfoot7.jpg

The 39 guy, brEad, chop job and 2 others like this.
  5. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

Firewall feet finished.
    Interior/trunk divider in.
    Battery location decided and created.
    Heater hoses set up complete with shutoff.
    MC access panel and gas tank access panels done.
    Started finding the parts for my unibody project, too.

SPark

firewallfoot12.jpg firewallfoot14.jpg firewallfoot15.jpg divider2.jpg divider1.jpg battery2.jpg battery5.jpg battery7.jpg battery8.jpg battery10.jpg battery11.jpg heater13.jpg heater14.jpg heater15.jpg heater12.jpg cover8.jpg cover7.jpg Z1.jpg Z3.jpg Z6.jpg Z7.jpg Z8.jpg

catdad49, brEad, Stogy and 1 other person like this.
  6. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

Created a 2 piece die to press a raised section in a 2x4 plate to anchor the heater feed and return lines to the firewall. Pretty happy with my first press job. Took me most of the day but it turned out great. Oriented the shutoff and return bung, transferred it to the backside of the plate and tacked things together (valve was all apart so it didn't kill it). Got everything right on the first try! That never happens. I even pressed a 2nd plate just so I could mess the first one up. Going to weld more hose barb on the backside to add some length and have an attachment point on the interior. Well hidden behind the firewall foot brace yet easy to get to when it's needed.

Doc keeps reducing my meds every 7 to 10 days. That's good. If we stay on this route I can have another cancer treatment on the 8th of August and that will be the half way for the powerful stuff. I can sure tell the steroids are no longer the massive dose and my thyroid is about gone....zero energy. This little plate and getting things tacked together and mounted took about 5 hours today. Time flys when you're sitting in front of the fan!

SPark

die1.jpg die2.jpg die3.jpg heater16.jpg heater17.jpg heater18.jpg heater19.jpg heater20.jpg heater21.jpg heater22.png

Last edited: Jul 26, 2018
    The 39 guy, fauj, brEad and 5 others like this.
  7. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

Finished up the heater. Got it mounted and houses all routed.

Figured out the wipers and ordered a Mighty Wiper Motor. Don't think the wooden one I used to play with locations will pass state inspection.

Drilled the gauge panel for turn signal and hi beam indicator lights. Left is hi beam (blue), then Rt/Lt turn signal (green) and far right is emergency brake on (red, not in the hole yet).

Got the emergency brake mounted.

Also welded the stand to the old valve covers. I'm a fair welder but a great grinder! Pretty happy with the way it turned out.

Couple more little things to do, make sure the wiper is going to mount like I want it and I'll be ready to rip it all apart. Plan right now it to get all the metal in epoxy primer then put it together and try to get thru state inspection and get it titled. Then put some miles on it yet this fall. Blow it back apart over the winter and get it painted.

SPark

heater23.jpg heater26.jpg heater27.jpg heater30.jpg heater28.jpg wipe1.jpg wipe2.jpg gauges11.jpg gauges13.jpg ebrake1.jpg ebrake2.jpg ebrake3.jpg ebrake4.jpg vc3.jpg vc4.jpg vc6.jpg vc7.jpg vc10.jpg vc8.jpg

Last edited: Sep 2, 2018
    fauj, brEad, catdad49 and 6 others like this.
  8. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I can hear a key turning...almost ready to rock n' roll @LM14 your workmanship is pretty darn spiffy...;)

brEad likes this.
  9. papastrk

papastrk

Great work! Well thought out, neat and clean.

10. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

Pretty much everything here or ordered. Should have the wiper assembly this week and a few other giblets.

Also ordered a tube style gas gauge sender instead of using the arm style in the shallow tank. Might work better, we'll see. Lots less crap to deal with.

Been working on creating a header panel mounting system. Car came with a header cover and it looks like it will clear the wiper setup just fine so forward we go! Part of the mounting blocks glued in place tonight (ran out of clamps, I'm no woodworker either!), should finish that deal up tomorrow.

Talked to the painter today, he's coming up Wednesday for supper and look for any concerns he has on it. Plan at this time it in the next couple weeks rip it all apart and do 80% of the body work on the frame and get that shot in epoxy primer. While he does that, I'll work on my rub areas, do some relief work around the shifter cable area and little things like that. Will also put all the other metal in epoxy. Then I'm sticking it back together, trying to jump thru the hoops to title it, license it and insure it. The glass body will stay in gel coat until winter and I'll work on gaps, waves, etc. while it's bolted to the frame and drivable. When winter comes, it will get blown apart for paint. That will give me some time to check squeaks, rattles and other issues before real paint.

SPark

11. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

Progress over the last couple days has been small but important.

Header panel is in. Good mounting system and tack strip. Haven't bonded anything until I play with the actual wiper motor but it should clear fine. Once I confirm that I need to bond a couple pieces in place. Formed a 1" angle steel bar to align the lower edge with the windshield bulkhead. Everything lines up really nice. Hope the wiper fits!

Been looking at switch locations and styles. Dimmer switch especially. No great location for one that didn't clutter things up. Found a switch that has 4 positions. All in is off. start pulling and hit parking lights, then lo beam then the last position out is hi beam. Dimmer switch problem solved (actually eliminated). Less wiring, one switch doing 2 jobs.

Made this little panel out of my other plate I pressed a few nights ago. Had a basically new bar stock bender/former tool I had not played with much. Spent some time marking my first bend and paying attention to the radius it created with the die that best fit what I wanted to do. Was able to duplicate it a second time and even get it in the correct place! This crap NEVER happens to me. First piece I made from a little 9" scrap of 1/2x1/8 bar stock was perfect. Welded to the edge of the pressed plate and I have a switch panel to mount to the center of the dash that controls lights and heater. Looking for knobs that I can use for both that are more pleasing.

Mounting the primary ignition switch on the left hand side of the dash, traditional Ford location. Nothing fancy there. Want to wait to drill that hole until I can check clearance behind the dash on the dash support bar. Think I have plenty of room there though.

Put my wiper switch in the header panel just off to the side of the wiper motor. It's all starting to come together.

Met with my painter tonight. He came and looked things over in person and actually kind of got excited about doing it. When I'm ready for epoxy he will make it happen and work it into the booth so I don't lose a lot of time. He liked the idea of doing the main paint after driving it in primer all fall and finding problem areas. Couple of reasons for him. He doesn't do nearly as much paint work in the dead of winter and the booth is more available then , so scheduling is easier. Second, he doesn't like to do touchups because I was stupid and worked on something after he painted it. Makes perfect sense. We're on the same wavelength. He also agreed I should go ahead and do my sound deadening peal and stick stuff now. It will help seal up the fiberglass and a little overspray won't hurt anything. Doing the floors, quarters, floor and inside the trunk for now. I want to play with window adjustments so we'll stay out of the inside of the doors for now.

Did a little research on the sending unit for the fuel gauge. Some here were kind enough to share their problems and solutions of making the swing arm style sender work in a 8.5" deep tank. After reading those comments, I ordered a tube style sender from Classic Instruments for mine. Figured it's easier to change out, should work smoother and wasn't all that expensive. 60 second install. We'll soon know if my plan works.

When the wiper gets here, if it fits into the cubby hole I left for it we're golden. A little work on the defroster system I need to create and I'm ready to blow it apart for some light body work on the frame and get things in epoxy. Then it's reassemble, get the IDOT to inspect/go over my bookkeeping and see if we can't pay taxes, get a title and do a little driving this fall.

SPark

header1.jpg header2.jpg switch9.jpg switch1.jpg switch2.jpg switch3.jpg switch4.jpg switch5.jpg switch6.jpg switch7.jpg switch8.jpg switch11.png switch12.jpg switch10.jpg

The 39 guy, Tim, Sky Pilot and 7 others like this.
  12. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

Decided I am within a couple days of blowing things apart for primer on all the steel pieces. I have not been able to get more than 12' away from the right side and 6' away from the left side. Had the trailer hooked to my truck and decided today was the day to take things someplace I could stand back and stare at it. Found a few small rub spots, couple of fitment issues but overall I'm pretty happy with it.

Also got the news they start my infusion treatment again next week. Changing the program a bit from here on out. They started with the strongest thing available and are afraid my system just can't take another hit like it did from the first one. The up side is the reduced treatment is still considered aggressive and the way the other one attacked the issues they are very hopeful this milder version will do the same. Fingers crossed!

SPark

check48.jpg check51.jpg check52.jpg check2.jpg check3.png check4.png check5.png check6.png check7.png check8.png check9.png check10.png check11.png check12.png check1.jpg check19.png

Tim, brEad, catdad49 and 7 others like this.
  13. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

We're going to rip it apart for epoxy on all the metal. I would have had it apart already but the wife took a big interest in it recently.

We have a Ford Power car show in our little town on the 3rd Sunday in August every year for the last 35 years or so. I was the President of the club for 9 straight years. Got out a few years ago when life got crazy. She wants to take the coupe to the show and put it in the "Unfinished" class. A few of the club members have contributed to the project (some bought a bunch of parts when they found out I was selling some of my stash, one built the tranny for it) and she thought it would be a nice gesture to let them see what we were doing. SO, it gets ripped apart AFTER the show on Sunday instead.

Bought the hood prop setup from Speedway so we could display it better. It actually works better than I expected. Don't think I would use it on a windy day. Also very close to touching in the center with both sides up but they do not touch, maybe 1/8" to 3/16" between the 2 hood tops. Might try a slight bend of the arms but not really a concern at this time, no paint to hurt!

SPark

hoodcatch1.png hoodcatch2.png hoodcatch3.png hoodcatch4.png hoodcatch5.png hoodcatch6.png

brEad, catdad49, Bandit Billy and 3 others like this.
  14. SP
    Please remind me what the tires are. Brand and sizes. Thanks.

Sent from my LGL158VL using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

15. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

catdad49 and pprather like this.
  16. Wow. It's coming along great! Like all the little detail work.

17. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

Haven't updated in a few days. Didn't make the Ford Power Show as planned. Instead I ended up in the Emergency room with MASSIVE headaches and mild dehydration. I can take pain, I never complain about pain. I couldn't take this. We were worried I was having a brain swell. Those that know me know I don't need my head any more swelled than it already is.

They ran some tests, took a CT scan, pronounced me fit (with the exception of massive headaches) and I was given a choice. They were 99% sure the Yervoy infusion was the root of the headaches. One option was to start another series of steroid doses to counteract the cancer infusion treatment, the other was to tough it out and see how long I could take it so the treatment could work. At this point it had been 5 days since the infusion.

I want the infusions to work. With the guarantee I had no brain swelling and wasn't doing permanent damage, we opted to walk out and not take the steroids. Tough out the headaches, or try to. Let the drugs work as long as possible

On the following Wednesday (8 days after infusions) I told my wife I couldn't take it any more and needed to get seen again. This scared her. We've been married for 39 years, she dated me 3 years before we were married, she has never seen or heard me say I couldn't work thru the pain. Never. Then to top it off, I let her drive the 25 miles to the hospital we were to be seen at. She never gets to drive me. Never. At this point she's scared shitless. She's a nurse and a damned good one, she told the hospital it had to be extremely bad because I let her drive.

Doctor there can't believe I've made it this far. Sends me to the hospital in Des Moines to be admitted. Wednesday night I get pain meds by IV and they kill off about half the pain. Every 6 hours for 2 days. On Friday I cry uncle and we start on the steroids. That effectively shuts down the cancer treatment for that infusion. I got in 11 days and half life is 15 days so I'm pretty happy with that. Back home again on Friday night. Lost a couple weeks work due to that episode but I did get the biggest share of the goody out of the treatment. Sometimes life just sucks. Took about 4 days to get to the point I could work in the garage again.

Decided I still hadn't dealt with horn locations or the puke tank for the radiator. Got those taken care of this week. No pics, not that exciting.

Since this project is winding down on the fabrication side of things, I felt I needed something else to keep my mind off the cancer crap. We talked it over. I have a GREAT wife. I also have a basically free Speedway Motors Model A frame with suicide front suspension under it. I sold the front suspension, did some trading for a different Frankland quick change than the Jones sprint center style I had, found an old set of HRE wide 5 hubs, some original Ford wide 5 wheels and we started fab work on a 2nd coupe. Here's a link to that build thread.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/26-t-coupe.1116833/

Things are almost to the "no thought required, simple R&R" phase of the '32 build so the "T" will take care of my sleepless nights. I've found the thought process has kept me sane. When I started slowing down on the '32 I started slipping back into depression and anger over the cancer issue. This keeps my mind off it. My wife understands, she's not entirely happy, but she understands. The T is a swap meet/Craigslist build, not an exercise in opening a catalog (although there will be some of that, too).

Stay tuned, the '32 starts coming apart his week for primer unless they kill me with an infusion. Scheduled to have another on Wednesday. What fresh hell will this bring!??! Finding parts for the "T" (looking for a decent 26/27 grille shell right now to help with body location) takes up my down time and cleaning and restoring parts keeps me busy.

Never know what will happen next around here!
    SPark

brEad, catdad49, Bandit Billy and 3 others like this.
  18. alchemy

alchemy

Working on cars always helps me forget about bad things, until I bust a knuckle or a bolt. I definitely have ADD when it comes to cars, but I think that is OK in my case. I just go out to the garage and find something that interests me that day. Maybe the next day it will be something else, but I don't really have any deadlines on these projects, so it's just for my pleasure.

Keep up the fight, and the projects.

brEad and Stogy like this.
  19. LM 14
    Hope you are doing better this week.

Phil

loudbang and Stogy like this.
  20. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

Quick update. Don't get too excited. After 3 weeks of really struggling with the new infusion therapy, The decision is "You are not a candidate for Immunotherapy".

I've been sicker than I've ever been in my life. By 2:00AM Sunday morning I was giving up. Decided to struggle until today when we had an appointment.

Lab results were good to nasty. I had an immunotherapy scheduled for after the doc visit and they were so afraid I couldn't make the walk down the hall and across 2 rooms they walked me thru what looked like a broom closet directly into the infusion center. They took a second set of labs to sent to May Clinic. Then they put 3Liters in me in just under 3 hours along with a steroid shot to start the reversing of the infusion I last had. Check this out. 3L is 3000cc. I didn't need to take a pee until I hit the 2975 mark of the infusion. Yes, I as dry.

Since getting home, I've eaten more that I have in the last 2 weeks, several types of food just to make sure I was better. Same for drinks. Drank maybe a 16 oz bottle of water a day for the last 3 weeks. Since the infusion and steroid I drank almost 45 oz this afternoon. Massive improvement.

Car wise, By the weekend I may be able to do some work stripping the car down for primer. Several friends wanting to help, going to put some to work. Also getting the front suspension on the "T" and going to start working on the frame and suspension mounts for front and rear radius rods.

Stay tuned, hopefully things will happen as they sort me out!
    SPark

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
  21. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Positive thoughts your way @LM14...

loudbang likes this.
  22. loudbang

loudbang

You are one tough old bastard. Keep up the good fight sir.

Stogy likes this.
  23. Stay strong. Your tough attitude inspires us all to be a little more positive about life!

Sent from my Pixel XL using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  24. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

New pill treatment is working well so far. No concerns or side effects but it's early.

Felt good enough to work on the '32 again. Started finishing small things, getting ready to remove the body from the frame so we can strip the frame down for primer.

Built a cart to set the body on when it comes off the frame. Should be able to get under it to do some work on the underside of the floor while the body is off the frame. Need to do a little clearance in a few places.

Feel good to get back to things!
    SPark

cart1.jpg cart2.jpg cart3.jpg

Nicholas Coe, loudbang and catdad49 like this.
  25. kursplat

kursplat

glad to see your doing better. if working on the car makes you feel better, that's medicine too ;)

26. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

Mock-up completely done. Had a group of good friends drop everything tonight to lift the body back off the frame. Spent the last couple days getting thing ready. Went smooth as silk.

Plenty of room to move the body and frame around. Dolly working great. Still have room to get my pickup in at night! Winter is here, that's important.

Pill therapy worked well....for 11 days. Then I had a massive breakout of red dots and mouth sores. Met the Doc Tuesday and he has come up with yet another treatment. Start it Saturday. More pills but a different style. Boils down to my body is too healthy to take the meds. If I was older, weaker and had more things wrong with me my body would be pre-occupied fighting things like COPD, heart disease, liver disease, etc. and the new drugs would get the chance to work on what they are designed for. I'm basically healthy with some tumors. Therein lies the problem. My body is still strong enough to fight what the drugs are trying to introduce. 4th time is a charm.

SPark

teardown1.jpg teardown2.jpg teardown3.jpg

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
  27. Glad to hear you are back in the garage.

Phil

loudbang, Nicholas Coe and Stogy like this.
  28. loudbang

loudbang

Can't keep a good man down. You sir are a FIGHTER. :rolleyes:

brEad likes this.
  29. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

Spent the day removing most of the ribs on the bellhousing and a couple bosses on the trans case. Also removed a couple bosses that serve no purpose in my application and reshaped the bolt bosses for more clearance. Should give plenty of clearance in a few tight spots. Little cleanup work left but 99% of it's done!

Also started reworking the firewall/trans tunnel area for a bit more room, too. No pics of the trans tunnel yet.

SPark

bell1.jpg bell2.jpg bell3.jpg bell4.jpg bell5.jpg bell6.jpg bell7.jpg bell8.jpg

30. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

Finished up the rib reductions and removed a bunch or bumps and blocks to gain some room.

Reshaped the junction of the firewall and trans tunnel to gain a bit more room around the bolts.

Started working the gas tank braces into shape to get them attached. Thoughts on solder VS TIG vs silicone bronze?

Intake cleaned up and ready to go! Been working on the engine off and on, time to finish it up now.

SPark

bell9.jpg bell10.jpg bell11.jpg bell12.jpg bell13.jpg tank5.jpg tank6.jpg tank3.jpg tank4.jpg intake1.jpg intake2.jpg intake3.jpg intake4.jpg

brEad, Stogy and loudbang like this.