Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 327 runs then sputters and dies.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Vetteman61, Jul 27, 2018.

1. Vetteman61

Vetteman61
    from Tennessee

Hello all,

My dad has had '61 Corvette with a 327 for many years. The fuel pump was leaking so I put a new one on it. The car sat for a couple months after I put the fuel pump on it and then my father got the car out a couple weeks ago. Since that time the car will start and run, but then when you pull out of the driveway, or sometimes make it down the street, it begins to cough and sputter and then dies. It will often restart, but then you'll have to limp it back home. I'm somewhat stumped. Ideas and suggestions on what the problem could be?

Thanks,
    Brandon

2. Carb rebuilding time my just be spray pump somebody smarter than I will help soon

Sent from my VS996 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. AHotRod

AHotRod

Did you put on a new fuel filter?
    Did you look in the gas tank and see if it has crap or rust in it?

We deal with these issues every week at our Hot Rod Shop with cars that have been left to sit around.

31hotrodguy and coolhandponcho54 like this.
  4. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Could be a crack in hose connecting the fuel line to tank or pinholes in pickup tube pulling air into line or maybe tank vent clogged.

5. Terrible80

Terrible80

Since you just changed the pump, check the rubber line from steel line to pump.

Sent from my LG-TP450 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

coolhandponcho54 and Truck64 like this.
  6. Oilguy

Oilguy

Take a look at the recent thread regarding condensers, also. Sounds like the problem I had recently. Just one more possibility.

7. clem

clem

Was your fuel pump leaking from a perished diaphragm ?
    If so maybe perished material in fuel line and carb ?
    Always go back to the last known problem.

pitman likes this.
  8. Vetteman61

Vetteman61
    from Tennessee

Thanks for the responses. We changed the filter today (the old style filter that mounts in the housing on the carb). This seems to have fixed the problem. I'm really shocked as the simple solution rarely seems to be the one that works, but so far, so good. Dad brought the car over today and it didn't act up at all on the way over or on the way home.
    I looked down inside the little filter with a flashlight and it appears as though trash was in there, but also like there was something melted like cheese all over the inside of the filter. My best guess is, as mentioned above, some of the old diaphram got into the filter and then melted.

Thanks,

[​IMG]

clem, AHotRod and 31hotrodguy like this.
  9. AHotRod

AHotRod

Don't let that car sit, drive it at least once a week for a hour.

10. THAT is a GREAT CAR ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !