Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods What caused you to become afflicted with the hot rod/custom sickness?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, Jul 4, 2018.

1. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

No one in my family was ever really into hot rods. But I always had Hot Wheels and built model cars as a kid. As a kid I was always into things that breathed fire, and we're loud and generally pissed people off. So I guess hot rods kind of fit right in. I remember when I was a kid and we got a color TV, I couldn't wait to see the Munster's cars in color. Well, we all know how that turned out.

Sent from my SM-G920V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. badvolvo

badvolvo

My love for speed came at birth. My love for 30's,40's,50's,60's cars came from growing up with Model T's and Model A's. Owned muscle cars in the 70's, but that love faded into earlier cars. Never got the love for the rats, unless your talking BBC.

3. 59Tele

59Tele

This might be a time to name-drop. Jay Leno has talked about getting on his bicycle as a kid and riding to Wilmington Ford (MA)to look at the cars. He's my age and grew up about 8 miles from me. My friends and I used to do the same thing. I was there the day Wilmington Ford had a GT 40 on display and I'd be willing to bet Jay was there. Fred Cain's Chrysler/Plymouth was just down the road and I'll bet he was there, too. Hemis and Max Wedges.

4. The Shores boys from eastern shore MD. One of them owned and built a 35 Ford Slantback that was chopped and the other had a primered 33 Plymouth coupe that was tubbed. I loved those cars. This was early 90's. Then they built a chopped 50 baby lincoln for their grandfather. That thing was cool! At the time I had a couple 66 El Camino's but started getting more influenced by older hot rods and customs.
    50 lincoln.jpg

Shutter Speed and chryslerfan55 like this.
  5. This was one of my elcos and the 35 slantback that I was influenced by.

SupChevy66.jpg user3922_pic16743_1220658180.jpg

6. Dad was always working on something- usually to drive for a while then sell and get the next- I was always included in anyone he did- first as a helper but then wrenched more as I got older- local kids building hot rods and I hung out and they didn't chase me off- Dad bought me a '53 Ford when I was 14 or 15- did body work and engine rebuild in back yard- drove until buying next project- that's how it started with me- read the mags, drew the pictures and built models- Bob-

7. belyea_david

belyea_david
    from Regina, SK

Watching my Dad build his 36 Dodge Business Coupe when I was 6-7.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. 1941coupe

1941coupe

I grew up in the 1950s I think the little hot rod mags got me started and my dad owned a midget race car with a flathead, bought my first car at 15 a 46 merc couple yep bull nosed and deck it lowered it 3 carb hi comp heads been hooked ever since

9. Poverty cap

Poverty cap

The sound of a open header motor in a stock car and the smell of racing gas at the local Skelly station, I was twelve it was 1969.

10. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I was 12 years old and in the hospital with pneumonia and my dad brought me a little pages R&C, Nov 57 which was loaded with 32 Fords. I was hooked, I still have that magazine in plastic on the wall of my basement garage. I've built so many deuces I've lost count.

Shutter Speed and chryslerfan55 like this.
  11. Was born into a car crazy family. Was at car shows pretty much from day one with my parents and grandparents. I grew up in the cab of my 33 ford pickup that I have today and then when my grandpa has his 55 Chevy pickup show truck, he built a little 34 roadster go-kart to match that I would show with his truck, this was fueled by my fascination with mechanical stuff, I love taking stuff apart to figure out how it works then put it back together. 33 2.jpg papa ron dalton.jpg terminator calendar.jpg

12. I had learned how to read on back issues of Mechanix Illustrated, Popular Science and so on. Of course I built model cars from age 6. What kicked it off was the guys across the street, they had a cool '59 Impala and a '54 Chevy wagon that they swapped power windows into. Someone around the corner had a chopped and lowered '51 Merc. This was in 1962 so it was ultra cool. I would hang around the garages of guys who drove figure-8 cars and now and then they'd let me help and I'd go home dirty and proud.

13. pnevells

pnevells

They built a dragstrip walking distance from my house, bitten at an early age, was climbing over the fence and sneaking in from when I was 10, track closed when I turned 16 , but hook was already set, been a drag racer ever since. it inspired such projects as this at age 15

PICT0008.JPG

14. johnc451

johnc451

15. oldsman41

oldsman41

Dad and all my uncles were Rodders so i got it bad at a young age.

16. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Born in Santa Monica, CA "End of the Trail" SAM_7535.JPG

chryslerfan55 and Shutter Speed like this.
  17. zeph4057k

zeph4057k

Attached Files:

chryslerfan55 and Jalopy Joker like this.
  18. Marq Gerard

Marq Gerard

Hi John, That pretty amazing that the Owls Car Club stole the Hirohata Merc), do you remember what year it was, and was it owned by Mr Hirohata at the time? I know he sold it shortly after it was in the Running Wild movie when the color was changed, so I'm guessing it had already changed hands. Did you ever meet Bob? I'm sort of doing a research project on the early days of that car.....hence my question. Thank you!

19. SMLBound

SMLBound

Simple. My father. He thought me to love cars and I’ve never stopped.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

20. It was 55 it was on the same car lot that
    They took it from the same used car lot Jim McNeil bought it from in Pasadena, It was in 1955 I think and still owned by Bob Hirohsta or the car lot. I asked Jim McNeil about it and he didn't know about it because it was before he bought it. I never met Bob he was murdered, there is a police/newspaper report on his murder. The Owls guy driving the car at school was Merel Morland his nickname was "Speed". The car was the two tone Running Wild green. I was there and saw the car driving around the school at lunch time and we were use to cool cars at school, but it was really mind boggling to see a chopped Merc cruise the school.

21. [​IMG]

22. Shutter Speed

Shutter Speed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ya THINK?! I'm getting a whiff of an ancient CONSPIRACY THEORY!!