Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Give me ideas for the coolest hot rod vacation

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, Jul 26, 2018.

1. Roothawg

Roothawg

The wife and I are planning on a cross country trip in our 55 this fall. I really enjoy backroads and small town USA. I live smack dab in the middle of the US, so everything is at least 2 days away.

We live right on Rt 66 and we have done a lot of the mother road, so let's think outside the box.

So where would you go in your hot rod/custom for a little R&R?

LOU WELLS and chryslerfan55 like this.
  2. Never2old

Never2old
    from so cal

3. Roothawg

Roothawg

Unfortunately, it won't happen until after Speedweek is over.

Dean Lowe likes this.
  4. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

The bad lands, black hills.

brad2v, rjones35 and Roothawg like this.

5. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We wait until the day of departure and flip a coil to determine if we are going to head north, south, east or west. We then head that direction. We try to stay off the interstate and see small town USA stopping at any thing that seems interesting. We talk to the folks we meet and ask them if there is one thing in the area that we should absolutely have to see. We've met some wonderful folks and seen some pretty interesting sights

Sent from my XT1254 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Blues4U, Jet96, 40FORDPU and 6 others like this.
  6. The Great Smoky Mountains. HRP

charleyw, treb11, shivasdad and 6 others like this.
  7. Roothawg

Roothawg

That's pretty much what we do as well, however ,we have a vintage travel trailer that we are pulling, so we can't really do the whole flying by the seat of our pants.

We can't go until October, due to work obligations.

8. gene-koning

gene-koning

The Black Hills area in South Dakota has a lot of things to do and see. If you have never been to the Rockies, I suggest a trip to the Rocky Mountain National Park or the Grand Teton National Park. Yellowstone National Park is also interesting.

We just did a trip to Kentucky and Tennessee the 1st week in June, There is some really neat things to do and see there as well, some of the Civil War stuff was educational.

I found a web site where you can set the number of hours or the distance you want to travel in a day, and you can also stay off the interstate if you want. www.myscenicdrives.com Its kind of a pain to get through, but well worth the effort. Gene

9. nothing like New England in the fall, fall colors, and good shows every weekend.

Cliff Ramsdell, pitman and TFoch like this.
  10. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Why not? You are traveling with your house and it should open doors

Sent from my XT1254 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

cretin likes this.
  11. Roothawg

Roothawg

We did that a few years ago, loved that part of the country. Went all the way to Acadia.

Oh and we have about 2 weeks to get it done.

12. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

Since you’re going during Fall, cruise South through Oklahoma to Texas and sample every BBQ joint that’s on whatever road you’re on.

BoilermakerDave and Roothawg like this.
  13. maybe head south east for the daytona turkey run.

14. MMM1693

MMM1693
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You can never go wrong with the Black Hills! Have done this trip many times and never gets old. You can stop at Speedy Bills on the way up, well worth it! From the hills you can run over to Yellowstone or Jackson, both well worth the trip. If you wanted to head northwest you could hit Colorado. Going to the top of Pikes Peak is a great trip. If you want to head east Memphis/Nashville is also a lot of fun. Have done these trips many times with the car in my avatar so you should have no problems. Do your homework and have fun!

i.rant, philly the greek and Roothawg like this.
  15. Roothawg

Roothawg

I thought about the Henry Ford museum. What's to see in Michigan?

16. i am going in a couple weeks i will report back.

Roothawg likes this.
  17. 3340

18. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cruise hwy 50 through colorado from Canon City West... It's one of the most beautiful roads in the country.

badvolvo and Roothawg like this.
  19. MMM1693

MMM1693
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's a good one too! You can spend the entire day seeing that along with the Ford plant. Swing thru Kalamazoo and hit the Gilmore Museum also. I know there is more to see but the Ford and the Gilmore are the ones we have done.

Boneyard51, Pinstriper40 and Roothawg like this.
  20. I've always thought US 90 would make a nice road trip.
    US_90_map.png
    If you don't want to drive the whole route you could drop down to Houston and head east to the Atlantic. It's not a limited access interstate so you drive through towns all along the Third Coast and see the local color. Then maybe swing north and loop back home.

BoilermakerDave and Roothawg like this.
  21. Deuces

Deuces

The Woodward cruise is coming up here in Motown....
    It goes on for a week... Maybe longer....

22. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

You would really enjoy Henry's museum. While in Michigan keep going north to Mackinac Island. We went up there a couple years ago and it was great. Then head back south and hit old route 40 east, it is mostly old time four lane that goes through small towns and makes for a slower pace, enjoyable ride with plenty of neat places to stop along the way.

Boneyard51, winduptoy and Roothawg like this.
  23. I was there in 2014 and to be perfectly honest I was disappointed, I had heard how great it was most of my life and I thought there would be hot rods and customs everywhere but there presence was spotty, what I did see is hundreds of brand new cars,mini vans,pickups and family cars,there was some bad to the bone muscle cars and a group of Panteria's nose to tail.

I talked to a gentleman that had lived in the area since he was a kid and cruised Woodard as a teenager and he said back in the 60's & early 70's it was THE place to be, he told me he had been to Pigeon Forge, Tennessee the year before and thought it reminded him of how Woodard use to be.

I remember when Pigeon Forge was like I had died and went to hot rod heaven, not anymore,it's like Woodard now. HRP

24. thomas.parker197

thomas.parker197

I agree. Was out there last week.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Roothawg and Pinstriper40 like this.
  25. Hansa1100

Hansa1100
    from Norway

Been spending a lot of time in the south (GA, AL, FL, SC) the last few years, due to family in Atlanta, and taken a liking to it. How about Cruisin the Coast in MS? A bit street rod-y maybe?

Roothawg likes this.
  26. Piledrivin'Joe

Piledrivin'Joe

I started a list of things I want to see there:

DETROIT
    Henry Ford/ Greenfield Village Museum
    Fairlane
    Highland Park plant - run down main office is still standing
    Rouge plant tour
    DIA to see Diego Rivera murals
    Hitsville USA - Home of Motown Records
    Gilmore car museum
    GM Heritage Center
    Lingenfelter Performance engineering tour
    Clark's(?)
    "Back to the Bricks" events
    "Woodward Dream Cruise" and the "tune up week" leading up to it.
    Buddy's (Sicilian) pizza

27. Gman0046

Gman0046

Crusin the Coast in Mississippi the beginning of October. A week long rod run. Cruising the Emerald Coast Panama City Beach, Florida the first week in November another week long run. Great cruising along some of the nicest beaches in the country and lots of good restaurants with great sea food. If it were me I'd rent a beach house and enjoy the
    sound of the waves as you go to sleep at night.
    Theres also an NSRA run in Burlington,Vermont toward the end of September which is very close or right at peak foliage time. Great back roads cruising.
    Gary

Last edited: Jul 27, 2018
    Roothawg likes this.
  28. Roothawg

Roothawg

Great options guys. This will give me something to look into.

29. Gman0046

Gman0046

Dan Hay during the Florida Pan Handle tourist season it seems every other car has Texas Tags. Come on down.

Gary

Dan Hay likes this.