Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1934 Ford pickup hot rod wind noise

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by DennieC, Jul 25, 2018.

1. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

try using quality wide painters tape ( that will not damage things when removed) and place it over any areas that there is even a slim possibility of air coming through - then when inside tape around door too - hopefully, when you find the main contributor to wind/noise do not fully seal up cab - need a way for pressure to release - like a house needing some place for air to vent - a friend had a custom built 30's Chevy woodie two door that drove him crazy with wind noise - sealed up every spot that was a possible source - buzzing down the highway the passenger door ((suicide style!) blew open - yelled for his wife to not try to stop it - pulled over to side of road and found that the only thing that had kept door attached to car was the stereo speaker wires - sold it soon after that

Bandit Billy likes this.
  2. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Look at the design of a steam or air whistle. A simple coaches whistle is a good example.
    Now.......

Look at a louver.
    Mmmmmmmn.

All those louvers on the hood they're going to make some noise.
    I may be wrong but it looks like you have louvers on the roof. Those will make noise and..... you are under them.

clem and Hotrodmyk like this.
  3. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

flatheadpete likes this.
  4. larry k

larry k

Ever wonder why they started taking the door hinges off the outside and put them inside ??????? That is your answer ! Stick your hand out the window , hear that noise ??? That is what the hinge is doing also...

5. Lou kriger

Lou kriger

I agree, all the music is created by your right foot. Wear ear plugs if you must, but don’t change the truck....it’s bitchin***way Cool Gary.

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

6. southcross2631

southcross2631

Henry designed your truck to go about 45 mph . Now you are trying exceed that by 30 mph and wonder about wind noise. Square cab, outside hinges. Poor seals. Here's your sign.
    Nice truck . Get some ear plugs and enjoy the ride. Ford trucks didn't get quiet until they curved the windshield. I built a 53 F100 for a guy that was really quiet and nice at freeway speeds.

trollst and barrnone50 like this.
  7. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Just because people seem to have exhausted other ideas any chance you’ve got a really loud metal mechanical fan? I switched fans recently and at higher speeds I can’t believe how much louder it is

ClayMart likes this.
  8. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Remove the rear window...Better install a C/O detector, too. That's why open rear hood scoops worked.

9. DennieC

DennieC

Thanks for the feedback. I do have the cab quite well insulated with the dynamat type of material. I also have all panels above the floor insulated with that thick foil backed material and over that the cab interior is clad with aluminum (.064) sheet. I do however have many air gaps around the doors and the windshield is leaking air. I think that you are right on with the engine vibration. When I turn on the ignition I hear the very loud fuel pump. With the engine running at idle I can't hear the fuel pump so the engine noise at 70 has got to contribute a lot to the noise level. Thanks for the help.

10. DennieC

DennieC

Thanks for the input. I have an electric pusher fan mounted in front of the radiator with a switch mounted on the dash. Sometimes I forget to turn the fan off when I am above 30 mph but I never forget to turn it on. I do not trust the automatic switches.

11. DennieC

DennieC

Thanks for the ideas! Removing the rear window would also help get the hot air out of the cab. I spent several months this winter, DSCN3378.JPG installing an aluminum panel with louvers in the roof so that helps get the heat out also.

12. Richard Head

Richard Head

I was riding with my dad in his 34 pickup. We were doing 70mph on the freeway when he decided to spit his gum out of the side window. The turbulence was so great, the gum ended up hitting the windshield.

Dave

Lucky667, Jet96, Hotrodmyk and 3 others like this.
  13. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

I can't talk to my passengers at 20 mph... Stupid loud-ass car...Man I love it.

14. 34toddster

34toddster
    from Missouri

My buddy is the same way, It's a Hot Rod and a damn nice looking one, ear plugs will help you from losing your hearing
    Have fun with it!

15. Danny Brown

Danny Brown

My best friend was given a bone stock '29 Ford Model A convertible to restore for his 16th birthday. For the better part of a year we both worked on that car until it was completely restored (dad financed it as long as he kept it stock.) If I remember one thing about that car is that it was LOUD when we rode in it. I doubt that we ever went over about 55 mph in it.

16. DennieC

DennieC

Thanks for the compliment. I had louvers stamped in an aluminum panel and was hoping that all of the punched louvers would give the panel flexibility and allow it to comply with the crown of the roof. That didn't work so I had to cut the panel between the rows of louvers so it all would fit the roof line. The "dots" are aluminum pop rivets holding the panels to the roof steel. Five rows of twenty louvers each are open and functional. DSCN3752.JPG DSCN3753.JPG

jeepsterhemi likes this.
  17. DennieC

DennieC

Many thanks for your insight. Fifty of the roof louvers do open to the cab. I have a louver fetish and can't give up my louvers. Also, with the windshield canted open the engine hot air has a direct path into the cab from the hood louvers.

18. DennieC

DennieC

Thanks to everyone for the great info. I have decided that I definitely will not cut off the visor. I will use ear protection as a standard practice when cruising over 60 mph. I am going to experiment with painters tape and I want to mount some curved aluminum air foils (wind wings) to the "A" pillars to see what that does. I see also that engine and road noise is a big part of the overall noise level. I just realized that I will not hear the wind noise if I push the exhaust cutoff button, LOL.

Tim likes this.
  19. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

You can seal away but as long as the doors overlap the body at the front, top and rear your gonna have wind noise. I have a 32 truck with a 3 inch chop and perfectly fitting doors and the proper size wind lace around the doors and original style bottom seals and the wind noise is deafening at 60-70 MPH. By the way leave your truck alone, it is bitchin!

20. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Buy a Honda........just kidding

RoddyB34 likes this.
  21. You ust think youre driving a new Cadillac???? Dummy....

22. Muttley

Muttley

If you wanted a car without any strange noises you should have bought a Prius.

Rick & Jan likes this.
  23. Years ago, Krylon 32 told me he built a glued in windshield truck and it was better. I have a 32 that I've put almost 30,000 miles on in the last few years, most at 70mph or slightly better. I'm almost 100% sure the visor has nothing to do with the noise. I have thought about putting tape around the windshield on the outside and seeing if that was a worthwhile attempt at noise reduction. I have weatherstripping installed all the way around both doors, top and bottom. There is sound deadener and Low e insulation all over the cab. I can talk at 70 but it would take some effort. This is with an electric fan and quiet pipes. The only time you hear the mufflers is at wide open throttle. The sealing of the doors has been most beneficial of my efforts. When I run with the windows down, I use ear plugs. I'm a motorcyclist and am aware of low frequency noise hearing loss. Above 60 mph is when I notice the largest increase in noise. I've had trucks with the sliding rear window. That made no difference at all. While it is a downside to our trucks, if you keep trying things you may stumble on something that works in your truck. I'm also old and don't want to attract too much attention with noisy pipes. I've been known to have a real heavy foot. :)

24. Just wondering; has any one removed the rear window, and did this help with the noise/heat issues? The glassman is doing my windows next week and I am seriously thinking of making the rear window removeable. I was thinking mainly for heat reasons. I cannot have roll down as the seat is touching the back wall.

25. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Note to self: DO NOT spit out the window.

Lucky667, Jet96 and warhorseracing like this.
  26. DennieC

DennieC

Thanks for the input. My wife wishes that it was a Cadillac.

Randall, F&J and lurker mick like this.
  27. clem

clem

I too think that the louvres would be the main contributor to your wind noise.
    I can’t imagine that removing the rear window would be of any benefit.

28. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

One thing I’ve never encountered is heat in my cab. I too have a louvered hood with open sides and pipes exiting right below the running board behind the front fender. With an open windshield and vent and temps in the mid 80’s it feels as though your totally open much like a bike.
    Wind noise?? I hope so.

Ric Dean likes this.
  29. fleetside66

fleetside66

Since my '34 truck is essentially the same chop/channel specs, it got me thinking if I had a similar wind noise problem. But, then it dawned on me that (a) I can't hear in the first place (b) I don't talk to my passenger, because no one will ride with me (c) The exhaust noise will drown out any wind noise & (d) I leave my hearing aids at home.

Lucky667, DennieC and Ric Dean like this.
  30. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

If we're ever in the same area I'll ride with ya!