Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Proper Scallops

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ryan, Jul 24, 2018.

1. DosCoupe

DosCoupe

PONTNAK123, Stogy, wicarnut and 5 others like this.
  2. catdad49

catdad49

Going back to the original post, I see a proper set of skirts covering the new wheel opening. Maybe one of our photoshoppers will oblige. The simpler scallops seem to be the best, those BeeGees are flat-out amazing!

3. Always loved the scallops on the Mills/Elza Roadster.:) 20161203_104406.jpg 20160918_140026 (1).jpg

48fordnut, wicarnut, hd1084 and 14 others like this.
  4. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Since it seems scallops are on the menu some more to wet the palette...
    are they right I think they fit the part.

tri racers.JPG

Aerodynamic_two.JPG

ChysylerGrilled T.JPG

Lots to smile about.JPG

Graphic roasdster.JPG

Ladies and T.JPG

Credit to Photographers, Owners

Jet96, wicarnut, ct1932ford and 11 others like this.
  5. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

SCV1.jpg

SCV2.jpg

SCV3.jpg

SCV4.jpg

Last edited: Jul 24, 2018
    Jet96, wicarnut, Ranchero59 and 9 others like this.
  6. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

7. "It makes me ponder scallops on my own ’38 coupe."
    the beauty of paint is, it can be easily changed. a little "moose" photoshop, some tape and paper and a pint of color.........

Bowtie Coupe, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  8. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

If you want your car to look like a pre 55 build, Ryan. Do the same scallop job on your car. If not, put black walls and black wheels and little hubcaps and lower the front and you will have a traditional 2018 build style. Like I`ve said before --the meaning of a-traditional built car as perceived by people has changed over the years. Pictures to came later.

9. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@Ryan I don't think you have to section your coupe for the scallops to work...as eluded that Hotrod looked pretty awesome prior to the slice and dice. But modded 38/39/40s albeit tough to customize can look pretty cool when the nail is hit on the head.

Bowtie Coupe and loudbang like this.
  10. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/pounding-out-a-t-roadster.1086957/

One of my favorite builds on the hamb right now has some pretty cool scallops 8CCDC45C-6010-486D-BBC4-01550947B601.jpeg
    I think it’s hard to pull the trigger on scallops o something of that nature when you’ve been a black on black kinda guy for so long. You can’t deny that they are a big part of the “hot rod vibe” of a particular vehicle but it still feels sorta “hey look at me” when you’ve been used to running a little stealthier

I say go for it, worse case you hate it and have some photos of that time the 38 has scallops.

Fuck paint it pastel pink I just want to see it on the road again lol

11. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Last edited: Jul 25, 2018
    jimmy six, Jet96, wicarnut and 11 others like this.
  12. MJW

MJW
    from NJ
    1. PA. NJ. local HAMBERS group

Did someone say pink? Pinky (Medium).jpg

Stogy, Jalopy Joker and Deuces like this.
  13. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Being I totaly love both flames an scallops,I've painted them on a few things starting in the 1950s. I'd get tired of my shapes an redo or leave off an repete later. I admit to taking not enough pic's over the years and misplacing many of those I did. But looking back I did find my 59 Renault race car shows my work. Ren4DB.jpg
    There is two things about flames ,that art wise seemed key to me ,on my race cars=Keep them big an simple and so they show up well,start with red and fade to yellow< so flame tips art dose not get lost in the dark at the races at speed.
    Even on the street ,used on hot rods or customs,I like them better if done same way.
    Too many I see done too small or too bizzy{ too much},plus color on some flame tips blends in to rest of paint,making the flame art not readable from far away .
    The flames must of been fast,I was the only racer to win 9 main's in a row @ Hollywood Speedway.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2020
    Jet96, Stogy, wicarnut and 8 others like this.
  14. catdad49

catdad49

4 Cyl. Class? Watched these at Lebanon Valley, N.Y. a few times. Mostly VW powered, but I do remember 1 Saab. The best of these cars were running lap times within a couple of secs. of the big block modifieds. Always Fun to watch. I sure do miss the Dirt tracks of the Northeast!

15. Phil P

Phil P
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The scallop is in it natural environment when going really really fast.

Stogy likes this.
  16. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

On your 38? Tough call, too much and it's "off", not enough or too subtle, why bother.

So that said I got to thinking something that wasn't too obtrusive, didn't "own" the car, maybe not too visible except for photos or casual viewing in person. To get that you could loop the headlights and trail back to the highest point on the fender. Something on the hood, but it can't be allowed to fight with the deco lines already there, it has to 'help' them. A conventional front-1-color then off to points just doesn't add to the flavor. Is the hood louvered? I can't recall, but if so there's your 2nd area for clean and simple scallops. Watson was mentioned above, and for a 38 Deluxe/39 Std I say absolutely draw inspiration from there.

All of this is of course my opinion.

Stogy likes this.
  17. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So in the interest of continuing education on the subject. There seems to be a break in what I consider scallops from the early full painted front or nose into a swoopy simple scallop like the Gee Bee etc. and what is more of a stripe theme like below...

Resized_20180524_172212.jpeg
    After reading this blog, I am guessing this style is a progression from the original or is this what one might call an "Improper Scallop"? Are we confusing the issue here with primarily a late 50s looking rod and a 60s scallop theme etc.? Thoughts on this style etc.

Stogy, wicarnut, Bowtie Coupe and 4 others like this.
  18. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

MVC-005S.JPG
    Pedal car signed by Pete and Alex for a fund raiser

Image 040.jpg
    Rattle can scallops over a $19.95 Earl Schieb paint job in 1958

48fordnut, Jet96, RichG and 9 others like this.
  19. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I think it is in fact a time based style thing. I associate the later style scallops with 1958 chevys.

The era where the factory was making customs so Watson and the like went to work with paint work to make them different from the norm.

Not quite hot rod scallops vs custom scallops but different eras for sure

To me a very apt comparison would be flames. Early flames are chunky and ragged. Eventually morphing into a different shape each decade.

Early flames and early Scallops are the most closely related to the inspiration source and they evolved as things do threw the years.

Wouldn’t call any of them incorrect but they do each mark an era

Stogy and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  20. Harland grunder

Harland grunder

Bay scallops

Stogy and das858 like this.
  21. I had an old FLH Harley that had a very similar scallop job as this. It was 57 chevy seafoam green and india ivory. The front fender was ivory, the scallops were on the tank, and the rear fender and bags were green.
    80e82f285e43958892914cff0a311066.jpg

Stogy, wicarnut, Hank37 and 4 others like this.
  22. verno30

verno30
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My first build........

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 14, 2020
    Stogy, wicarnut, dana barlow and 10 others like this.
  23. Blue Moon Garage

Blue Moon Garage

I hope Al Consoli will forgive me for posting this photo of his car but I just love the damn thing! z7T5A1421_tVa.jpg

Jet96, wicarnut, The 39 guy and 18 others like this.
  24. Al Consoli

Al Consoli

:D:D:D

Stogy, 61cad, Bowtie Coupe and 2 others like this.
  25. H380

H380
    from Louisiana

Miss Patterson

[​IMG]

26. southcross2631

southcross2631

Has there ever been a gasser with scallops?

Stogy and Deuces like this.
  27. sailingadventure

sailingadventure

28. Deuces

Deuces

Don't mean to get off topic here... Just curious if anyone stuffed a sbc in one of those tanks....???....

29. froghawk

froghawk

You can always try it out in scale first![​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Jet96, dana barlow, verno30 and 10 others like this.