Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Please post up some interior photos of model A-s with Muncie or T-10 trans

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Choppedcoupe, Jul 23, 2018.

1. Choppedcoupe

Choppedcoupe

Just got a T10 in a package purchase with a sbc. Engine is going into my 31 Ford coupe. Worried about shifter placement fighting the bench seat. Anybody got pics to reassure me?

2. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

upload_2018-7-24_14-59-23.png
    upload_2018-7-24_15-0-58.png
    There are different shifter mounting points and extension housings?

lothiandon1940 and hendelec like this.
  3. F&J

F&J

a 55-57 Chevy 4sp Hurst shifter picture would show you how it clears the stock bench in those years. The stick does not come straight up where the shift body is, it goes forward a lot, then goes upwards.

Torkwrench and Just Gary like this.
  4. missysdad1

missysdad1

Not enough information. But you can still figure it out. Measure your assembled engine (including water pump and fan) to get the length from fan to shifter. Then measure your car from the radiator back to the seat. Compare the two measurements, adding fan clearance as required.

If you are running a Deuce frame you're in good shape, but things get really tight if the frame is stock Model A. With a Model A frame you'll have to cut the firewall to get the engine in and that will put the shifter somewhere under the stock bench seat.

The solution in my opinion would be to remove the stock flooring beneath the stock bench seat and replace it with 3/4" marine plywood after moving the subrail crossmember back as required for shifter clearance. Then invest in a good aftermarket seat - not a minivan seat - which you can mount to the new floor in a rearward position to give you lower seating and better legroom.

Yes, this requires more changes than you probably anticipated but it is the right way in my humble opinion. Here's how it mocked up in my new roadster project, but keep in mind that my car uses a Deuce frame so the engine does not intrude into the footwell area. Good luck with yours!

new roadster 388.jpg

B Bay Barn and hendelec like this.

5. Calcutta Baits

Calcutta Baits

6. Calcutta Baits

Calcutta Baits

Sorry about that, don't think this was your question. I do have a Super T10 but in different vehicle.

7. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Richmond T-10 in my roadster.
    Not a model A but creativity and a welder is your friend, and not just the seat that can be an issue, getting the handle away from the drivers leg requires some effort too.
    This was one of the Hurst handles that has a long side offset, shortened the offset, perfect.
    20160807_135448.jpg

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 25, 2018
    hendelec likes this.
  8. wuga

wuga
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I used the offset handle as well in my 30 A to get the handle away from my leg.

3916790.jpg

1930-ford-sedan-street-shaker-interior.jpg

Part # 3916790

Warren

9. sdluck

sdluck

I will try and get pictures.I am putting A T 10 in my 1929 model A,I bought a rail type shifter that mounts to the top of my t-10 shifter comes out in stock model a position. I don't remember the name,but there are picture on the hamb somewhere.

hendelec likes this.
  10. Ed Angel

Ed Angel

Pics of what I did to a Muncie to get it to fit in my 30 roadster . IMG_6224.JPG IMG_6237.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

hendelec and GordonC like this.
  11. Ed Angel

Ed Angel

I’ll get some pics of the interior today if you like . I didn’t end up running the Tri 5 shifter . I bent up another shifter that works great . Second summer driving it , shifts awesome .

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

hendelec likes this.
  12. Choppedcoupe

Choppedcoupe

Thanks, gents! Keep pics coming. Very helpful.

hendelec likes this.
  13. sdluck

sdluck

Did you see my post about T&F Shifter?

14. sdluck

sdluck

31799 Chestnut lane Lebanon OR 97355

15. sdluck

sdluck