Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Prefect / Willys /Kadett Gasser Build.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Mitchell Rish, Jan 6, 2015.

1. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Thanks loudbang. Have to agree if that was the view I am probably rollcage testing. Lol. Doesn’t look like much but I got the radius at the bottom edges of the grill face done on the fiberglass front cap. Took 4 hours and about twice as much epoxy/glass as it should have.
    Please tell me that it makes it look better. I know it wont really be seen but the symmetry bugs me if it’s not close.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
    loudbang likes this.
  2. loudbang

loudbang

If it was on your mind and you let it slip on by as good enough you would be kicking yourself later thinking why didn't I do it when I was building it. Be happy you got it done now :)

1947knuck, swade41 and enloe like this.
  3. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Cap is finished other than skid plate.

Attached Files:

loudbang likes this.
  4. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Finally set the brake pedal up like all of my old front engine cars. I always was super comfortable in all of those and decided to convert the pedal to the same set up. For the record it has a roller tube on the bottom foot rest /pedal. I left the cut off pedal on the floor pan so you can see how awkward the heel toe angle would be. Made sure that there are no binding or safety issues. Pretty similar to the set up you see on a sprint car. Your foot glides more so than heel to toe movement. If I am going to wear this thing I want to be comfortable.

Attached Files:

Atwater Mike and loudbang like this.
  5. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Installed skid plate to keep front cap from getting chipped when it’s taken off. Assuming I get it painted. Nope you want see it,but I would like for the paint to hold a little while. Everyone knows the front cap will come off at the track ,shop ,etc. Just trying to think ahead.

Attached Files:

6. loudbang

loudbang

Rattle can it flat black then it's easy to freshen it up when it gets scraped

1947knuck and enloe like this.
  7. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

True. been a while. Been painting the HOUSE for the last week and a half.lol

loudbang likes this.
  8. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Finished the grill. (Cut holes in the cap so we get air flow in ) the mesh will cover them as will the grill shell.
    First time the car has seen the light of day in over 4 years. Fixing to mask of and shoot the high fill. Then let it sit and cure. I always have had better luck that way.
    Will paint cage and interior on the Willy’s while it cures. Hope to spray the Prefect tomorrow.

Attached Files:

swade41 and enloe like this.
  9. Looks good out in the sunlight !

enloe and loudbang like this.
  10. loudbang

loudbang

Getting close now.

11. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

And it begins. That little portable car port worked great. The shop is clean other than the portable booth. This type of high fill does just that. Most of the pits and really deep scratches are gone. Did more than I figured it would. Gonna let it cure a little.
    Gonna change gears and shoot the Willy’s roll cage ( body color) and then do the metallic bed liner(grey/silver) on the floor/trunk/and roof line. This is after all a race car.

Attached Files:

loudbang and enloe like this.
  12. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

All back together now at least so I don’t lose anything.this high fill primer is really good but I found some dings and small waves on the back fenders. Haven’t made up my mind wether to try to make them perfect or let them go. It is after all a race car and I have had one or two that were so nice I didn’t enjoy them. I’ll let this cure while I change gears. Started prepping the Willy’s today to paint the cage and do the liner. Took seat shifter gas pedal brakes pedal windows back out etc. Cage will be body color. Flame Red. Gonna have to paint through the windshield and the back glass opening to get all sides painted and still may have to cheat (aka small roller or brush).
    This isn’t going to be any easier. I’ll probably mask off everything five times before I am through.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
    captain scarlet, loudbang and enloe like this.
  13. loudbang

loudbang

You are getting to be quite the expert at putting in and taking out windows in a prefect. :)

14. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Yep - The Willys to:cool:.

15. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Man does that bring back memories! Seven years ago when I was spraying epoxy primer on my Austin gasser in a Costco canopy in my backyard!
    [​IMG]

loudbang, captain scarlet and enloe like this.
  16. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Just walked in from finishing the roll cage of the Willy’s and underside of the trunk. Let’s just say it’s red. I will be thrilled if the body turns out as nice as the underside of the trunk.
    Gonna let it cure tomorrow and then mask cage off and spray the silver metallic bed liner on floor sides and roof. The doors will not be- (dash as well) -will be body color. I think the contrast will make it stick out big time. Hope it continues as well as it has.
    The Prefect is going to be a different animal. It’s has twice as many bars and half the space. I gotta rent me a midget and turn him loose.

Attached Files:

enloe likes this.
  17. loudbang

loudbang

Mr Jack of all trades :) Get a trunk money to do it he would fit just prefect.

18. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

If I had done this years ago I would have done like my Dad did( put my son in there - funny he's much larger than me) . I crawled inside of more than one square hay baler in the field for repairs welding or to fix something - don't have a clue how my Dad didn't see that fence post. My dad was 6'4 and 295 lbs . Guess he wasn't going to fit. Kinda funny that 276 New Holland was about the same color red.

loudbang likes this.
  19. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Ok. Now we cover up what we did and get ready for the silver metallic liner. Literally.

Attached Files:

20. loudbang

loudbang

Looks like you have the situation well covered. :rolleyes:

21. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Silver metallic bed liner is sprayed. Did exactly what I wanted. The metallic silver lightened it the way I had hoped. Will seal the cage to all of the seams using silver silicon. Put the steering wheel,helmet pad, shifter mount, and swing out bar back in. Got a few spots to touch up but it also sealed the body really well.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 30, 2018
    loudbang, powrshftr and enloe like this.
  22. loudbang

loudbang

Got this one yet? A little inspiration :)

prefect.jpg

23. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

Man that looks good. Where did you get the bed liner paint from?

loudbang likes this.
  24. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Loudbang, That is one of my favorites. Mike we got the bed liner( actually all paint stuff ( Kirker/Clause high fill- I think that's right, etc) From Dads Body Shop. I am going to cut ( razor blade) all of the glass fibers that decided to stick up when I coated them. Day job cranks back up this week.Means I am going to be back to working on the weekends and holidays. Mick / and Bill are still going to be at it on and off. I also have another project that I have collected parts for to work on during the week after work just to keep me sane and out of jail.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2018
    loudbang likes this.
  25. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Finished the inside door latches. Simple push buttons. Seemed to be the cleanest way. Return spring works well.

Attached Files:

Atwater Mike, enloe and loudbang like this.
  26. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Sealed and glassed the edges of the dash today. Not much that's photo worthy there.

27. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Removed engine/trans from the Willy’s today so I can start prepping to paint firewall etc.
    Will start masking and prepping. Also decided to send the radiator/fuel tank mounts to the powder coater along with bumpers etc.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 26, 2018
    Atwater Mike, 41 coupe and loudbang like this.
  28. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Ok masked and painted the underside of the fender well openings for the Willy’s with bed liner. It cleaned up the underside look and sealed the glass also. Think it did well.

Attached Files:

loudbang likes this.
  29. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Inside electric window switches are mounted and complete. I wanted a simple mounting with out having to reach inside the door and fighting with the regulator etc.
    I counter sunk the places where the screws would touch the inside of the door. Then attached the aluminum panels to the covers.
    So I used a rubber nutsert which also cuts the vibration down. I will paint the switch cover but I will leave the aluminum satin finish to match the door panels and seat. Will probobly clear coat it though.

Attached Files:

loudbang likes this.
  30. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

For the record we are going to keep all wiring in the little black sleeves and mount externally as much as possibl probobly in adele clamps. Reason. Access. Simplicity.And remember this is a race car. Need to keep it simple and to the point so if there s ever an issue we don’t have to tear it totally down to fix

loudbang likes this.