Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects rebuilding after the crash

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by racer-x, Sep 19, 2015.

1. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I see it too @loudbang...good eye

Loudbang I posted this pic for a second visual of your discovery and backing up what you have found. You fellas are racers and have eyes for these things and your right it could prevent a disaster.

@racer-x

You would think after a couple of burnouts if it was glue from a label it would be gone quickly but it does not...shadow I do not believe it could be either. They did have oil all over it and Brian mentioned using excessive amounts of brake-clean so perhaps that is an abraded area from the cleanup...

BC_Blem.jpg

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
  2. Saxxon

Saxxon

Glad you're ok bud...

hendelec, racer-x and loudbang like this.
  3. loudbang

loudbang

The oil down was the drivers side. And it flops out at speed and when backing.

chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  4. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah you'd think you could feel that with your hand its so distinctly visible...did they clean both sides possibly...It does look to have visible wow when moving as you say.

I remember 30 years ago I was driving down a main street in a small town and some vehicle must have spilled oil on the pavement for quite some distance and I damn near lost control..I was fishtailing all over. I wasn't even going that fast so Brian is very fortunate. I hope he is having a cool one tonight. As @David Gersic said he was damn near drifting.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
    hendelec, chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  5. Yeah, that's no shadow... a patch of rubber is distinctly different.

Very glad you kept the shiny side up. When you can see both sides of the car from one vantage point things are getting a bit too exciting....

6. The car last ran at union grove late in the fall. We were doing our burn out when the burst panel blew. The hot tire melted to the track. When the car was pushed back it pulled up a piece of rubber stuck to the tire. I couldn't pull or scrape it off. I was surprised to see it was not all gone after the first Burn out. Thanks everyone for keeping a close eye out for my safety.

7. loudbang

loudbang

Whew that is good to know. :)

hendelec, Stogy and milwscruffy like this.
  8. Brian, will you be trying the street set-up at all before the meltdown drags to see if it's street worthy ?

hendelec, loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  9. I made the street headers. that was the last thing I needed to do. most likely after the melt down I will start to focus on that. Im sure if it works on the track it will be ok on the street. we didn't change anything as far as the street stuff is concerned. I want to drive it out to the elkhorn show aug. 5th.

10. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

Are you going to drive it to Sam's drive in next Thursday for the Cruise in? Ethan and I are going to try to be there

hendelec and loudbang like this.
  11. I will most likely ride the golf cart up there. the car will be set up for racing. I don't want to switch it over for that small ride.

loudbang, chryslerfan55 and enloe like this.
  12. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

You will also notice in that video that you had the right rear tire on the seam in the track when you hit the throttle the last time.
    So the left rear may have been in the groove but not the right rear.

13. tomcat11

tomcat11

Nice save!
    Did notice your steering wheel position seems a bit low and kind of awkward almost hitting your legs with all the nomex on. But hey if it works for you that's what counts. Can't wait to see this thing sorted out.

hendelec and loudbang like this.
  14. I used to sit lower in the car by a few inches. Padding was added to the bottom of the seat. I can see out the windshield better raised up. It does get cozy with the suit on. Its actually a very comfortable driving position. Similar to a funny car.

15. I made it to the melt down drags. Countless hours were put into the car to get it ready after us-41 the other week. Heres a short list.
    Picked up more nitro
    Rebuilt the steering box
    Put in new seat belts
    Washed the trailer
    Fixed the winch
    Re stocked the trailer
    Ordered more nozzles
    Serviced the engine
    Re set the throttle shaft
    We are looking for a different out come from last year's event. 20180719_091728.jpg

hendelec, hallrods, Tim and 10 others like this.
  16. squirrel

squirrel

Go Man, Go!

hendelec, enloe, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  17. I try not to even think about last years outcome. I'll be there all day Saturday, good luck !

hendelec, Stogy and loudbang like this.
  18. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

When do you sleep Brian?

chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  19. I think him and Squirrel are having a lack of sleep contest. Looks like a dead heat to me !

hendelec, racer-x, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  20. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I still laugh about you firing that thing up in front of my house. My neighbors had been being loud as hell all week and I didn’t say a peep about it.

They didn’t say anything about the loud green car either haha

21. Rained almost all day. When cars did start running it was limited to eighth mile. We will try to make a 330 foot pass for a plug reading then go eighth mile. We put in a bunch more timing so we have to creep up on it.

Hemi Joel, enloe, porkshop and 2 others like this.
  22. Cara Marie

Cara Marie

The car sounded and looked great this year! What a machine!

Sent from my SM-G930V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

23. Cara Marie

Cara Marie

Your efforts are paying off. So happy you got in before the rain.

Sent from my SM-G930V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

24. Cara Marie

Cara Marie

saltflats, hendelec, JUNK ROD and 8 others like this.
  25. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

26. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

I saw the pass Saturday evening. Man the car sounded good. The pass earlier in the day I heard in the swap meet. I thought it was about to storm because I heard the thunder. :)

27. squirrel

squirrel

looking great! Thanks for the pictures and video....sure wanted to be there, but I gotta build a car right now..

hendelec, racer-x, Hemi Joel and 2 others like this.
  28. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

That is so awesome to see, I wish I was there. Thanks for posting the videos.

I know you didn't make a full pass, Brian, but what do the incrementals times tell us?

29. the car is much louder this year. everything is working as planned. as far as the tuning its way too rich. now its running safely its time to make some power by leaning it out. we will do a upper blower pulley swap going from 19 over to 25 over driven. to lean it out further we can add more percentage or put in a bigger main pill. the car drove great this weekend. no more sliding around the track. it was nice to visit with eveyone that stopped by.

30. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I imagine seeing it hook and make a solid full power pull is something like seeing them sling shot jets off an aircraft carrier