Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods What would you do?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by coolhandponcho54, Jul 22, 2018.

1. Lots of folks here complain about young folks not into old cars. How about finding a young person that would love to have an affordable old ride.
    Seems like a better idea than scrap

2. finn

finn

Maybe i’m An idiot, but I would take a chance on it. I decided that fordoors are sort of Kool, after hating them for over sixty years.

The frame looks sound, and it won’t take more than a few minutes to cut that suspension abortion off with a torch or plasma cutter. Looks like an 8.8 rear, which should be usable once it’s cleaned up. A parallel leaf setup should be a simple project, and, although I am a Ford in a Ford type of guy, a 350/350 is suitable and easy, relatively speaking, for a hooptie.

A quick CLR bath will lessen the chance of tetanus. Except for the hood, rust, other than sunburn, looks controllable

'Mo, patmanta, Peanut 1959 and 2 others like this.
  3. xpletiv

xpletiv
    from chiburbs

How most feel about this is how I feel about gassers..........

Sent from my SM-G955U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What would I do?

I'd leave it right where it is sitting.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  5. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

Ask yourself, in 10 years will I say,,, 'Wish I would have gotten that pile of rust because,,,,,,,,,,,,,'
    What did you pass on 10 years ago you wish you'd would have stepped up for?

hendelec, chryslerfan55 and Clay Belt like this.
  6. 62rebel

62rebel

Nothing that can't be fixed if you want an old car to drive. Seems like the general consensus is, that once it's got one booger weld on it, it's crap from one end to the other. Also seems like Ford hasn't made any of these in seventy years, so..... put the damn thing back together well enough to sell to someone with a vision.

7. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Not at all a desirable car. But that trim is the super delux trim, might be able to sling it. I say if you've got some storage room drag it home, part it out and make yard art out of the rest or sell it for scrap. All depends what "next to nothing" is and what a couple hours of your time is worth.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  8. Latigo

Latigo

Sure, go for it! What else do you have to do with the rest of your life and all of your money.

Engine man likes this.
  9. Ask yourself,do I have a project that I am working on now? Do I even remotely like the car? Does it have a title?

Cars are subjective,personally I don't have a problem with 4 doors but many people do and when it's time to send it down the road it will reflect in the selling price,if you build it.

On the other hand the guys that build rodent rods might be all over it and it could be a quick flip.

If the car was offered to me I would leave it right where it sits unless they payed me to haul it off. HRP

patmanta, chryslerfan55 and Just Gary like this.
  10. Sactownog

Sactownog
    from SAN DIEGO

Trash it or have it crushed for CASH

Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
  11. Bring it home, tell everyone it followed you. Hide it inside. Weld the back doors shut. Weld sheet metal over the back door and side windowso_O. Weld the back window and trunk lid together then cut the door above the rear window:confused:. Ala, the early 40's hatchback panel van:cool:. You will be the only one in the world with this adaptive vision until Dodge resurrected it in the 1980's:p. Really use some vision of what it could be. If you have the time and want experience the above would be a good learning tool.

12. It's a 46 or early 47. I need a front passenger side fender trim for my 46

13. You can get it

Sent from my VS996 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

14. On the other hand the guys that build rodent rods might be all over it and it could be a quick HRP[/QUOTE]

LMAO! Good one

Ben

15. 62rebel

62rebel

damn there's a lot of hate for a four door that hasn't been in production for seventy years and still has a decent support system. And what little tolerance is shown, is directed towards the "rodent rod" category as the only possibility of salvaging what looks like a strong starting point. I guess that's why I never could get anybody to help me back in the early seventies when I was yearning for a '46 Plymouth Super DeLuxe sedan....... it had more than two doors and it had a steel top.

16. Falcon H

Falcon H
    from Waco Texas

If it were mine, I would butcher it into basic drivability and start having fun! The rear end is pretty bad, but it would only take about a weekend to change it back to leaf springs.

Don't waste time on it if you don't like it, but there is nothing keeping you from building it if you want to!

Good luck!

patmanta and Clay Belt like this.
  17. Save the rear suspension to put under a '32 highboy.

18. Gman0046

Gman0046

If I owned that rusty Ford four door, I'd repair all the rust and the cobbled up junk underneath it and then I'd burn the SOB.

Gary

Clay Belt likes this.
  19. Do you have the space and time ?

For next to nothing you could part it and make some money

Or fix it up and get it running, I think it’s not as ugly as every one is making out, seen uglier cars fixed up

I would be all over it for the “ next to nothing “ price, but I live in suberbia 2 car driveway and a garage, so junked our stuff is a bit of a no, no.

Do what you want either way you can’t looses take it or leave it.

20. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Well finding anything that old is a challenge around here. Someone would want it and it's not too bad looking imo. Not everyone has the good fortune to find a '32,'40, etc. If you're in a club it might be a good starter project for a first timer who could never afford something more desirable. And as for looks I've seen plenty on here that have been done and got oohs and aahs which started out way uglier that that particular car. If you don't want it spread the word and let someone who would like it get it.

patmanta, Peanut 1959, Hombre and 3 others like this.
  21. LBCD

LBCD

I got this 46 Tudor, not a four door but...and put my 41 fenders and hood on it. It was missing the front clip but I welded a trailer jack on the front of it and had it flat bedded from Palmdale to Long Beach. I say go for it, if you can’t finish it donate it...[​IMG][​IMG]

Here is another 4 door that I would love to have...[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

22. Squablow

Squablow

I'd grab it just to part it out. If you know what you're doing, you can make yourself some decent money reselling the good parts that are left on the car, plus get your front axle setup for free. I can't see a downside there.

23. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

if you are bored with lots of money and time on your hands, and don't mind having a salvage title, bring it back to life

Clay Belt likes this.
  24. Jesse Bailey

Jesse Bailey

Personally, I'd love to get something like that as I have 3 kids. It looks fairly solid, I'm sure someone would like it to build it.

25. 327Eric

327Eric

Lots of hate for the old girl. I would take it, slap a junkyard mill in it, and drivd it. A little bit of time to make it presentable, and it is ready for the freeway with no fear . Once the junkman gets her, she is gone forever.

26. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

I agree with Anthony; Rather than part it out, I'd leave it for a young guy on a budget to build. We always hear that it's too expensive for a young guy to enter the old car hobby. That is, if the frame is solid and it's titled (or easy to title where you're at). I had an old friend that built out a 47 Ford 4dr., doing all the work himself including body and paint. On the cheap with lots of used parts, horse trading and sweat equity. He loved old cars and while he'd have loved to have had an early Roadster or Coupe, he told me on his Navy pay, it just wasn't in the cards because "he was such a good Catholic" (6 kids).
    A cheap, rusted out or wrecked 70's-90's RWD V-8 car could donate the drivetrain, etc. Fat fender parts are relatively plentiful and cheap.

27. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

Wow i'm a bit surprised by all the neg...I think it's begging for a $500 big block , caddy, truck whatever make it a weekend project with a bunch of buddies and some beer, don't do anything to the body but a windsheild and a bench seat....which is more fun? a $2,500 beater that you're not afraid to do anything with? or a $30,000 roadster that you never drive because of the fear and paranoia of someone wrecking it?....if youre just tempted to torch it up then I second this:

28. I agree with the side that says it could make a cheap fun old car for a young person, or for the OP. As HRTH suggested, get a 70-90's donor car and use all that you can. Your cost will be more in labor than money.

Or part it out if you have the space and some time. I am sure you can get more than your money back out as well as some nice parts for your other hot rod projects.

29. manyolcars

manyolcars

I got a car like that in 1967. I drove it for 14 years. I still have it and I have regretted buying it for 51 years
    I have a tudor quarter panel and tudor doors but its still obese and ugly and hard to work up enthusiasm to work on it