Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Almost Funny - AWB Barracuda Funny Car Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by squirrel, Nov 27, 2017.

1. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Stay tuned!

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  2. Nice fit for a glass part!

chryslerfan55, loudbang and squirrel like this.
  3. kursplat

kursplat

getting there

Attached Files:

4. squirrel

squirrel

I just had to see how the fender looks now that I did some bodywork on it...looks like it's supposed to.

body15.jpg

(btw the new AZ highway patrol paint scheme is black and gray)

5. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

(btw the new AZ highway patrol paint scheme is black and gray)[/QUOTE]
    Hopefully you don't know this from being pulled over!

6. flatford39

flatford39

It sure does...nice work.

chryslerfan55, loudbang and hendelec like this.
  7. Bitchin!, two tone would be "outta sight".

loudbang likes this.
  8. All I can say is....Go squirrel go!!! As a Dodge nut this build is awesome!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

9. Jim, you do beautiful work! This is one of the coolest builds I have ever seen.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

10. squirrel

squirrel

thanks!

I figured I needed a break, so I built the gauge cluster. I needed to weld tabs to the cage to mount it, and I kind of need to get all that type of stuff done before too long, because one day I'll have to paint it and put the body on for the last time, etc.

I decided that looking at gauges through the steering wheel just isn't going to work, so they go in the middle, kind of high. The top of the cluster will be about even with the base of the windshield, by my line of sight when seated. There will be a cover plate that goes to just under the windshield, and I'll put the tach on top of the cluster, once I see where it needs to be. There will be another panel below the gauges, that will hold switches, etc. I wanted to make it separate so it would be easier to work on stuff.

dash01.jpg

11. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

There's something cool about seeing a turn signal stalk on the steering column of a car like this. Really loving everything about this build Jim.

12. Squirrel; Food for thought. I have found that once Belted in, reaching switches in the Dash could be hard to get to. My last 2 builds I finally switched over to the Top crossover bar on the Cage. Worked much better for me. Also I've noticed I never shift by the Tach. 4 speed cars by Ear and the Auto by signal. That probably don't apply to you in Vintage class. I can't remember what you using for a Gear Box without going back and finding it. My guess would be a 4 speed. I can't tell if there's a pedal under that left foot in the above photo.
    The Wizzard

13. squirrel

squirrel

it's a Torqueflite, manual shifted, no clutch pedal. I'll see about the controls on the dash, I didn't have any trouble reaching it when I was sitting in there last night, figuring things out.

There isn't really an "class" that I have to build this to...just my idea of what it should be like, to be as much like a 60s build as I can make a street driven AWB funny car!

14. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Jim I think the needle in that speedometer is going to snap off. Looks good now though.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Tim_with_a_T likes this.
  15. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

One of the best things about this thread is you explaining not just what but why. Thanks for sharing and letting us go along on this journey.

chryslerfan55, LM14, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  16. Further proof that just because "form follows function", it doesn't mean something has to be ugly. More of a philosophy of "form equals function". Always enjoy seeing a little more of that approach. :cool:

17. oldolds

oldolds

You keep working on it at this pace and you might be driving it by next weekend! If the parts suppliers can keep up with you! :D

loudbang and hendelec like this.
  18. LWEL9226

LWEL9226
    from So. Oregon

Love this build.... THANX for the education and the ridealong….

LynnW

19. alumslot

alumslot

I don't know anything about this car found it on another message board. Looks like what you are doing. 37399848_2380586411967897_7610593722509557760_n.jpg

20. squirrel

squirrel

thanks for the pic...I have a few other pictures of the car, but this is a new picture to me. And yes, it's pretty darn close to what I'm building.

challenger ii.jpg challenger unknown.jpg

21. Ultra sano job.

loudbang likes this.
  22. squirrel

squirrel

Moving on to the firewall....I worked on the front of the transmission tunnel, today. I decided to make the firewall, and this part, from steel, I originally had it aluminum, but some thinking and more reading of the rule book changed my mind. Something about fast cars with power adders requiring either a steel firewall, or expensive pants and gloves.

Anyways, it was fun making this part, and it sure stiffened up the firewall!

floor02.jpg

23. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is coming out nice. I think this part is the fun part too. You have to use your skills to do something you don't do a lot of.

loudbang, brad2v and hendelec like this.
  24. lookin real good. its refreshing to see a build that doesn't fit the norm.

25. squirrel

squirrel

thanks! you'd know about builds that don't fit the norm

Got some bent tubes in the mail today, now I can finish up the front of the chassis. I just set parts on it, to see sort of where they'll fit.

mockup11.jpg

Also spent some time finishing up the doors, hinges and latches on both sides now work pretty good. I have been pondering how to put windows in them, I have most of a plan.

doors04.jpg
    And I started on the shifter this morning, and ended up this far along tonight. Still missing a few parts, such as the gate.

shifter01.jpg

It's a loose copy of this one (the Torqueflite, on the right), from a 1966 B&M ad

shifters 1966.jpg

26. nickleone

nickleone

Jim,
    Windows. Use lexan with tracks for position and a seat belt loop from the outside and under the window. Put the belt latch facing down and the male clip attached at the bottom of the door.
    Its adjustable and light weight. Got the idea from Baracuda drag cars of the 60's.
    I used it on on of my Pro rally cars.

Nick

27. A little off the topic here, but looking at the engine in post #1431, is there something else holding the front of the engine up besides what I see? Just curious....

28. Hey, here's an idea..............:p
    progress75.jpg

29. Fitty Toomuch

Fitty Toomuch
    from WVa

Must be the photo, that tank looks huge, like 50gal lol