Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical ***July 2018 Banger Meet - A Midsummer Banger Dream***

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jiminy, Jun 30, 2018.

1. Thanks to Binger of Wyoming, I have been bitten by the banger bug. "Binger Banger Bug Bite" I have been trolling the banger meet for a couple weeks now and I am slowly getting educated about the world of Bangers. This is my 30 sedan. I put the 35 ford wheels and big an little tires on it. My plan is to build little and drive and progress one step at a time. I got juice brakes I am going to put on it. I just picked up a single down draft style intake from Burts in Denver. I have never had good luck with used parts so I am looking at the new Stomberg 97. I am looking at the FS distributor also. Has anybody played with them? Any feed back would be greatly appreciated. IMG_20180713_140058.jpg

cactus1, Jet96, Binger and 5 others like this.
  2. Dang!. Haven't driven mine for a couple weeks. took it for a spin today. It ran terrible today, but still a fun ride. A month or so ago, I was checking torque on the head. Seems as I may have spun an old helicoil or something on the stud behind the distributor on the passenger side. No changes since going to single downdraft though. Well more miles on it.

Dannerr likes this.
  3. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

ive had a FSI for years , never fails . my coupe is my daily driver & very dependable . FSI & weber are my best buys .
    *** nice tudor .......

4. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Ditto on V4F regarding the FSI and Weber 32/36 set up. The FSI is the Petronix system that was originally designed by Mickey Remund. He was Mickey Thompson’s engine builder.

Dannerr likes this.
  5. JT1930

JT1930

Just got my fsi in the mail. Can’t wait to install it and do a tune up on the banger. But had a question........

I noticed on my “30 A” the ground strap is on the positive terminal of the battery and positive on negative side. Is this correct? I’m assuming it is because I got positive ground setup from fsi. Thanks hambs

6. callcoy

callcoy

Well time has gotten away from me , what was going to be a post in a couple of days is now a couple of weeks. This is even a little off subject as this Pikes Peak car used a OVH 6, but I thought you guys would enjoy the work this guy went to in 1920. So far I know that he was an engineer ( Mr Dumm) and because two of the custom gauges refer to Johns Mansville sponsor, he may have been employed by them. the gauges are a work of art, nothing standard about them. All the gauge glass is flat with a ground bevel edge, all the gauges are intact even though they are not in the dash at this time.

The renderings were done by Mr. Dumm and were high lighted with various shades using water colors, he put a lot of work in these.

A couple of interesting things known at this time, the car remained in Colorado for most of its life, when the creator passed, his entire estate was auctioned off, one buyer from Nashville bought it all and kept it for years until it was time for him to let it go. The under slung frame is interesting and not shown was his "Air Pump" that he employed to boost his intake that was not engine driven.

Most all of the body still has the original paint except one piece and will remain that way. The engine is missing and was an Oakland (became Pontiac) and I would appreciate any leads, please contact me with any info. I leave my base camp Monday for 2 months but will be as close as my computer.

Banger news, El Mirage was canceled due to a flooded condition, the car I am involved in will not run this year due to a combination of events that occurred. We will be at Speed Week and helping out, will be back running next year.
    IMG_0456 (1).JPG

Jet96, cactus1, Herb Kephart and 2 others like this.
  7. noboD

noboD

SOOO, do you own this car??

8. callcoy

callcoy

IMG_0456 (1).JPG
    IMG_0459.JPG IMG_0457 (3).JPG IMG_0459.JPG IMG_0458.JPG IMG_0456 (1).JPG

Old Dawg and Dannerr like this.
  9. callcoy

callcoy

10. callcoy

callcoy

As you can see I can not post pictures, this was my first attempt and I failed!

11. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

I noticed on my “30 A” the ground strap is on the positive terminal of the battery and positive on negative side. Is this correct? I’m assuming it is because I got positive ground setup from fsi.
    if it is stock , yes they came that way . backassword I know , but henry did it that way . to change to neg ground is a little work ............... you will be ok

JT1930 and Dannerr like this.
  12. G Baese

G Baese

When I was a boy growing up in Boulder, there was an old guy named Clinton Otis Dumm and he had a race car he had built and a 1913 Model T Ford Touring that I remember more vividly. I knew him as Otis and think he died when I was a senior in High School. I still know where the Model T is. Same guy possibly?

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
    97 and Dannerr like this.
  13. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

B53A64F7-F743-4B64-92E8-0FBCA2E32C92.jpeg 031C349F-A0FC-4D23-8D63-9822B9AFCAA6.jpeg 5E42A6FE-3B45-47A6-B8D4-151D367E0936.jpeg 378712B5-DA3D-4203-A638-CBA07F846F53.jpeg 4EBB4B94-A3B3-42B4-B19C-A7BCB07A70E3.jpeg We collected a random lot of mostly 4 banger parts from a good buddy that was clearing out his loft , he is a Chevy guy and had no need for 4 banger parts.
    Main reason was the 33/34 model C 4 Banger which is mixed with other parts.
    So what are folks thoughts on the pics of the block particularly the deck surface ? It appears to have no cracks between 2/3 exhaust valves and cylinders, but sure does have lots of ugly pitting in places ,the bores look remarkably nice with minimal surface rust and very little wear to the micro finger touch. The crank is the correct counter balanced one and appears to have been greased up and put away dry. We have caps, cam, sump .rods. bell housing, timing cover etc. just need to sort through what is 4 banger and what’s swap meet fodder.
    It is planned to fit an original vintage cragar OHVset up to the top.
    Be gentle as we are newbies to 4 Bangers

]

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
    97 and Dannerr like this.
  14. noboD

noboD

Casllcoy, the speedo you have your finger on is exactly the same as used in early Dodge Brothers cars.

15. 97

I can already see good stuff there Bryan. Looks like a couple of T starters in the pile, Furnie needs one of those probably both of them. The block looks like it has been sleeved, no sweat they will bore out to 4". Talk to your local engine man , he knows bangers ...but be prepared to spend even more than it costs to build a flathead.

16. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

I still know where the Model T is.

so what is holding you back ?

17. callcoy

callcoy

Well that is news very well could be the same, did they have the beveled glass ? Did you notice his name and Johns Manville was painted on the gauge face. Will dig deeper into this project in Nov. Thank you for the Dodge comment.

18. G Baese

G Baese

@ V4F - Its owned by a friend and loves driving it. My Model T days are over due to insane traffic and Model A was my first car so, its a nostalgia thing and the A is a better car, no cranking.

19. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

LOL I understand . I never had an "A" as a kid . it always chevy because parts were every where . bought my fist one (tudor) maybe like 15 yrs ago . I was helping a friend on his (mine now) coupe when he up & died . so bought it & sold the tudor .
    thus life goes on ..............

20. It looks like a good start to an OHV motor.
    There are many small tricks to making something like this live.
    If I may suggest, Jim Brierley has a very good book out with all this knowledge.
    Do a search for him, if you do not find it PM me and I will send you his contact info.

John

21. Looks like a great start. I have been running the FS distributor a couple years now and love it. I picked up a 97, here on the h.a.m.b., sent it to Uncle Max and had him go through it and set it up for the 4 banger. It works great as well. What are your future plans for the stance and such?
    98.JPG 113.JPG

Tim likes this.
  22. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes thanks ,I do have Jims book ,its a goldmine of great information. In fact when we got our 32 this was the first thing we did .

23. JT1930

JT1930

Got the fsi distributor dialed in today. What a difference.

24. 97

Ha ha , you have a couple of thousand pounds of 80 year old used parts there , get used to it , they they play with your head at first, but perseverance pays off and they can be tamed.
    Don't worry about the old parts , it's the simplicity that will test you sometimes, but there are a great bunch of people here and elsewhere that will help set you straight.

knowskool and Dannerr like this.
  25. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

********* we would not give you a bad steer

26. fourd

fourd
    from Colorado

This is the pile of parts I’ve been working on.

Attached Files:

ratamahata, Jet96, woodz and 4 others like this.
  27. Thanks for the info. I talked to gentleman at FSI. What a fun conversation. Got an ignition on its way. To address your stance question, I want to drop the whole thing as much as possible without frame modification. I would like to go about three inches or more. Rear looks simple to do new reverse eye spring. The front is making me scratch my head some. not sure what way to go to get it down. I have juice brake ready to go on soon.

Dannerr likes this.
  28. lake_harley

lake_harley

knowskool.....lower wouldn't be a bad thing, but it looks pretty good to me as-is with the wheels and tires that are on it. Nice car!

Lynn

knowskool likes this.
  29. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

Looks great Martin! Are you going to have it at the Hill Climb instead of your black Coupe?

30. A dropped axle will get you down that much, reversed eye spring with a couple leafs removed will get you down even more. I went a different way with mine, '32-'36 stock axle with reversed eye and 2 leaf's removed got me approx. 4 inches. You can see what I did in my build thread.