Register now to get rid of these ads!

History What the heck was henry thinking?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Jul 22, 2018.

1. Henry Ford was a brilliant businessman and tried to corner every market imaginable when it came to automobile construction and wasn't afraid to try non conventional products in manufacturing.

One such attempt was his foray into the use of Hemp as a fuel & also material to manufacture Hemp plastic which was considerably stronger than steel. HRP

010.507a.jpg

Last edited: Jul 22, 2018
  2. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

How green would that be? Just burn and enjoy instead of scraping it.

3. sevenhills1952

sevenhills1952

To me it just shows brilliant thinking. Of course you'll see lots of jokes posted about it.

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

4. Deuces

Deuces

Yo got that right..... :cool::D

JUNK ROD and HOTRODPRIMER like this.

5. ElBurro

ElBurro

My question is how did HRP find this side? What did he google;)

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Tommy Chong?

7. manyolcars

manyolcars

why do you think Ford developed plastic dash knobs?

Boneyard51 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  8. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

I've seen stills from that video many years ago, or maybe the original film on a movie theater newsreel short, not sure which as it was long ago. But I didn't realize hemp fiber was involved.

9. Deuces

Deuces

Believe it or not... Our first president grew the stuff......

To make rope!!...... :rolleyes::cool:

10. He was certainly innovative. I heard that he also made fake leather out of soybeans.

11. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Finally, a car folks could smoke!

12. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

"did you know: the hydrocarbons in hemp can be processed into a wide range of biomass energy sources, from fuel pellets to liquid fuels & gas"

13. Uh, good stuff HRP!
    Guess Henry Ford didn't have any ties to Dupont, then.

14. According to Popular Mechanics, Henry Ford’s prototype was built to run on hemp gasoline and the CAR ITSELF WAS CONSTRUCTED FROM HEMP! On his large estate, Ford was photographed among his hemp fields. The car, ‘grown from the soil,’ had hemp plastic panels whose impact strength was 10 times stronger than steel.

The suppression of this technology is largely due to the fact that hemp was outlawed in the US in 1937 due to the potential damaging effect it would have on many powerful industries at the time.

HRP

15. ElBurro

ElBurro

16. I just wonder how hungry I'd be after a long trip...

JUNK ROD, tb33anda3rd, dan31 and 11 others like this.
  17. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Although the plant used to make hemp rope and other things such as the industrial stuff Henry worked on, and the plant used to make marijuana are both in the cannabis family, they are only cousins and there is almost no THC in the industrial stuff. The hemp type also is sold legally as hemp seed as a health food and hemp seed oil pressed from the seeds is sold and used for medicinal purposes with no high:oops::(

18. Google Fordlandia, that one didn't turn out so well either.

19. So, my question would be, Is this technology viable today or are the same forces keeping it from being a solution to so many of today's problems?

20. Interestingly enough, Danny Ford the ex Clemson Collage football coach has been issued one of the first certificates in the pilot program in South Carolina to grow hemp on 20 acres and the following year he will be allowed to plant 40 acres.

The fiber will be used in the aircraft & automobile industry to make stronger & lighter plastics, Henry was a man before his time. HRP

21. I think he was a man who was high before his time.:rolleyes: Look out Danny, South Carolina may become another California.:oops:

22. I went to high school with Danny Ford. One of the few people who made a name for himself from Gadsden High.

Deuces, HOTRODPRIMER and milwscruffy like this.
  23. So many adjectives to describe Henry Ford and again he was afraid to try and fail,Fordlandia was a prime example of a idea that was a huge flop on the other hand, pursuit of self-sufficient automobile manufacture, Henry Ford and Ford Motor Company purchased over 313,000 acres of timberland for logging in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. A massive sawmill complex and powerful hydroelectric plant were constructed at Iron Mountain. Here, sawmill workers produced huge quantities of lumber for wooden automobile framework, floorboards, and wheels.

And in his ongoing obsession to limit waste the idea of using sawdust & scraps to produce charcoal,it was originally sold under the Ford name but eventually renamed Kingsford to honor the man to was instrumental in the purchase of Iron Mountain, incidentally Edward Kingsford's wife was Henry's cousin.

With the invention of charcoal briquets Ford developed a Picnic Kit. HRP

426287.jpg

426362.jpg

24. foolthrottle

foolthrottle

Years ago when I was working in AZ. I met a former Ford engineer, he told me he helped develop a soy bean based plastic in the 40's. Ford set up plants near farming communities to make all kinds of parts. Our first tractor was a Ford.

JUNK ROD, catdad49, Hnstray and 2 others like this.
  25. He also made these- download.jpg
    You stick them in the tank of your Hudson, Pontiac, etc, and it turns it into a Ford. They don't work with imports.

26. Hemp rope. Look it up.

Deuces and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  27. Henry Ford's Thermochemical Reactor. HRP

max_image_212.jpg

28. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

Gives new meaning to "Smoked another Ford today'.

29. greybeard360

greybeard360

If you see photos of Henry Ford in a light colored suit, it is probably one he had made from soy beans. Ford still makes plastic parts from soy beans.

30. ROCKER77, dan31, Boneyard51 and 7 others like this.