Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Hemi Motor Mount Options

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by mrobvious34, Feb 1, 2015.

1. mrobvious34

mrobvious34
    from Canyon, TX

I am to the point on my car of building motor mounts and was looking for some input. I made 3 templates out of paper but not sure which I like best. Has anyone who has done mounts like one of these have any input on pros or cons?

my first option utilizes biscuit style cushions, these where my first option and I like it however it ended up looking a lot like Brian Bass' on his coupe so I thought I would see what else I could come up with.

Option two and three are both real similar except 2 mounts on top of the frame and 3 mounts inside the frame rails using urethane bushings

Btw im working with a 53 331 Chrysler hemi, 32 frame, 28 roadster

20150201_221839.jpg 20150201_221140.jpg 20150201_220929.jpg

artificer64 likes this.
  2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Any of the three would work well enough, but I think #2 is the better choice. The first one is quite nice, but takes up more space. Two uses less space and places the load mostly downward on the frame rail, rather than on the side, which would impose a twisting load.
    Three seems to me to be the least resistant to engine torque.

All of the patterns are quite nicely done. Good job. Oh, and I wouldn't be reluctant to use a design that you have seen elsewhere and like. Sometimes we need to reinvent the wheel, but not always ..... :D

Ray

3. Here's how I did mine.
    Similar to your #3 but my engine sits lower in a 33/34 frame. Plan for your steering too if it's cross steer
    image.jpg

4. marfen

marfen
    from sask

Get your steering box and starter location figured out. I use the biscuit style on last two cars although you have to do lots of fab to wrap the support for the mount over the vega box if that's what you're using. The biscuit style lets you install and remove the motor easier as you can pull two bolts and slide it forward/up.

5. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

I never used the mounts that look like shock bushings. I have used the ones that look like flat doughnuts and seem to work very well.. The doughnut ones are sold in good and bad reinforcement and quality. I truly like the looks of the mounts with the shock bushing.The Hemi is a heavy engine. Someone on hear with experience with the shock bushing style should comment on if they deteriorate on the most stressed part. That would be my only concern

6. 73RR

73RR

Don't worry too much about using someone else's design. I think flattery is a good thing.
    As Ray suggests, I would also try to place the load on top of the rail if possible, however, side mounted works if the tubes are stout enough.
    Biggest issue is to have something that clears the rest of the bits, like header tubes....
    Remember, two separate bolts at the top......

Last edited: Feb 2, 2015
  7. 69fury

69fury

Examle #1 is worth the flattery (plagerism) for a good reason. I like the biscuit on the top of the frame idea. You could even stretch it a bit to put the biscuit right on the frame top without needing the tab poking inboard. I have big inboard tabs welded for the mounts and they are a pain to get clearance on the mounts and pan when pulling the engine in and out during the build.-rick

8. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

You know you can use stock Mopar mounts also. Not as good looking.

9. mrobvious34

mrobvious34
    from Canyon, TX

That is a good link 31Vicky, I dont know how I missed that one. I agree it would be a good idea to put the weight on top of the frame, I didnt think about it pulling on the inside of the rail or how much the motor will twist. I do also need to bolt my starter up and check for steering box clearence since I am using an f100 box, Im glad that was mentioned. There are lots of factors like that play into mounting position that I can forget about. As far as headers, I should have room for them (I hope). I have ordered a set of lake headers from geardrive, but I am not getting them until the LSRU.

After sleeping on it for a night and reading your responses I am thinking option 1 would be the best route for me.

Paul likes this.
  10. Paul

Paul
    Editor

Excellent choice

11. artificer64

artificer64
    from maine

Imitation is the highest form of flattery. Or something like that.