Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage B-bop's Laid off, make the most of it Solo road trip

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by b-bop, May 23, 2016.

1. b-bop

b-bop

I stopped at a truck scale one day on the way out of town on a roadtrip and dropped my trailer on the scale and it was 720 pounds. This was with food and water and all the gear and tools that I take with me. It does not have brakes. My A has front discs and rear drums, just in case you are wondering about that.

Question 3, not a dumb question, I get asked it all the time. So I will have to bear my soul, or ass, I guess would be the first thing. hahaha, Let's cover showers first. When I am way out in the boonies, I try to stay close to a lake or river so that I can go for a dip. Remember that when I am boondocking I am usually by myself so nobody really complains if it has been a day or two since the last shower. When I swim in a lake or river I never ever use any type of shampoo or soap. A good rinse will do. When I am in any urban area, and its been a while since my last shower, I will find some free WI-FI and locate either a YMCA or a swimming pool or recreation center. YMCA ranges between free and $5.00 in the places I have traveled. All have been very easy to work with. Some ask about memberships, I just tell them I am traveling in an antique car and small trailer and just need a shave and shower, and they are all happy to have me. Some of the Rec centers don't have a shower only price so I pay the full ticket and go for a swim and hot tub as well as have a shower and shave.

Now to the big question. Let's start with taking a wiz. I usually stay as far away from a road and civilization as possible, so any tree will do. In cases where I end up in an urban area, and don't feel like looking for a public restroom, I carry a plastic bottle, otherwise known as a truckers urinal. Any bottle will do that has a good lid that seals well. For whatever reason, my grandson gets a real kick out of pissing in the bottle. He even starts asking about it before we leave. " Do I get to pee in the bottle this time Grampa?"

So we are on question number three, but we are now talking about #2. Again two scenarios, urban and remote. If I am in an urban area, I like to use Hotel lobby washrooms. They are the best kept receptacles in the public domain. Just cruise on through the main doors and somewhere there will be a sign showing you where the washroom is. Heck, sometimes I will even kick back in the lobby after leaving a deposit and read the newspaper and catch up on the world for a bit. The bigger the hotel, the more anonymous you are.

Out in the woods, I carry a collapsable shovel and make sure I never dig my "pit" anywhere near where somwbody may be walking. Again, I try to camp where most would not. For more pointers of this, you may want to purchase How to Shit in the Woods, 3rd Edition: An Environmentally Sound Approach to a Lost Art
    https://www.amazon.ca/How-Shit-Woods-3rd-Environmentally/dp/1580083633
    I have no affiliation with the author, but I read the first edition many years ago and it has served me well. Know and understand your environment. Poison Ivy, Poison Oak, snakes, spiders and other hazards of baring your ass to the world can ruin your adventure. In desert areas where the ground is hard as concrete, I have used the bag and carry it out method. Always have plastic bags with you for this situation. I double bag, only because I am paranoid of one breaking before I get to a location where I can dispose of my "political promises" if you know what I mean.

Hope that answers all your questions, now get out there drive your hot rod and see the world :)

2. rjones35

rjones35

Thank you sir, that does answer my questions. I need to get out there!

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  3. Were you at Bonneville this year for Speed Week? I saw a car I thought was you there.

4. mopacltd

mopacltd

B-Bop, when you topped the hill on 89 north of Congress, AZ is the town of Yarnell. Next time you're down stop by. My Model A needs to have a picture taken next to yours. And I'll even by lunch at the diner.

5. b-bop

b-bop

Yes I was, should have stopped to say Hi, Always have some cold beverages in the cooler. :)

6. b-bop

b-bop

Hey Mopacltd, when I read Yarnell, I had to look at Google maps. I knew the name was somewhat stuck in my memory. I stopped at the antique store at the north end of town. Days of Vintage? I remembered the town because of the cool boulder formations along side of the road coming in from the south. I was waiting for Wile E. Coyote to push one down on the Roadrunner. Next time I am heading that way I will let you know.

7. Uh, I was hopeful of another twister pic. :D

I know it'll be hard to beat, but I'm gonna be optimistic and keep checking..... ;)

8. b-bop

b-bop

Just for you Jeff.....not the same trip, but just another cool shot when you drive your hot rod.

20170602_170424.jpg

9. B-BOP , always love seeing your car and revisiting the trip .
    Blue

chryslerfan55 and b-bop like this.
  10. 720 pounds! Sure wish that is all mine weighs. It weighs in at 1150. And the frame is 1 1/2 inch angle. Builder, not me, must have used some lead somewhere.

B-BOP, I enjoy your threads. Hoping to emulate you someday.

Ben

chryslerfan55, b-bop and rjones35 like this.
  11. dmorago

dmorago

all safe we assume, Dick M

b-bop and chryslerfan55 like this.
  12. b-bop

b-bop

Yeah, all safe Dick. I just watched it roll by and snapped 84 pics and a couple video's of it going by.

TFoch and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  13. b-bop

b-bop

New spare tire cover, converts to bar table, ready for another road trip next weekend. 20170806_200946.jpg 20170806_201745.jpg 20161219_163421.jpg

brEad, Tim, fauj and 19 others like this.
  14. Lots of pictures please . Have fun . Blue

Ron Funkhouser and loudbang like this.
  15. Nice addition!

16. OFT

OFT

Nice, hope to read another travel log thread:)

OahuEli, Ron Funkhouser and loudbang like this.
  17. 340HilbornDuster

340HilbornDuster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's Killer!!
    Lots of Coole Details!! Any more pics?

18. loudbang

loudbang

What a great idea. A real nice spot to hang out with some cold ones and swap stories. :)

OahuEli, JOYFLEA, TFoch and 2 others like this.
  19. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Hi B-bop.What a great idea.Thanks for posting.Please keep us updated on your new adventure as you are able.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

b-bop and chryslerfan55 like this.
  20. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Where are you headed to?

21. b-bop

b-bop

Just a short camping trip with the grandson to Montana, and Idaho.

22. b-bop

b-bop

Thanks, I am going to try to do up a full feature on the teardrop one day. Will let you know when I get to it.

23. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Cool. the western part of the country is so picturesque and I always like to see pictures of such. Drove through the western states three times but never had the time to stop and appreciate how nice it is out there.

b-bop likes this.
  24. Barry, if you wander my way stop by.....or at least honk as you go past.

JOYFLEA likes this.
  25. b-bop

b-bop

Not sure if I will make it that far south before heading west through Eureka and Libby. Although I just checked out your sedan build. WOW, that is amazing work, especially that grille. I may have to come down and check it out. I will let you know before I show up at your door.

RMR&C likes this.
  26. razoo lew

razoo lew
    from Calgary

So there you were heading west on Glenmore this afternoon, trailer in tow. More adventures?

b-bop likes this.
  27. Going to Spokane this year?

b-bop likes this.
  28. b-bop

b-bop

Yup, that was me. Coming back from the Diablo's show.

TFoch likes this.
  29. b-bop

b-bop

Not sure yet Doug, not making plans more than a couple days in advance these days. Are you going?

30. Yea, Headed over to celebrate my retirement. Official date, Aug 17, but taking off on Wednesday.

TFoch likes this.