Register now to get rid of these ads!

New from nothern maine

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by NorthernMainer, Jul 21, 2018.

1. NorthernMainer

NorthernMainer

Hello from Caribou Maine! I've visited this site for a while, but just finally joined. Here is my most recent purchase. A 1954 Buick Special with the 322 nail head. Some of you may get upset, I'm pulling the nail head out in favor of a newer Chevy 4.8 (with a turbo setup).

I'm not sure what to do for suspension yet, with the power I plan to run I know I need to change out the rear suspension. I'm thinking a triangulated 4 link, but I am unsure of if I want to put the car on bags or just coil overs I hear of people tearing bags with high hp.

Not trying to build a track car here.. just a fun cruiser that will boil tires.

I do plan to restore it, but painting it a slightly darker blue, I'll repaint the top white.

37126040_10160764050955531_3004727032580931584_n.jpg

2. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

Welcome from Ohio. We made it up your way a couple years ago and loved the country side. Your 54 will make a neat car. If the engine is the one from the factory it is a 264, as all Specials had 264 2 barrel engines. Keep us updated on the project, you might downplay the late model stuff you do to the Buick as it will gather you some negative vibes from some of the gray beards. How ever you decide to build it, it is your car so build it your way. You can't beat those old Buicks for great cruisers!

3. Casey Riley

Casey Riley
    from Minnesota

(you gotta keep the modern upgrades top secret on HAMB). Or some of your modifications will need to be submitted and either approved or denied by the Customizing Council that decides what other people do with their cars...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 21, 2018
  4. Peanut 1959 likes this.

5. NorthernMainer

NorthernMainer

Fine I guess I'll keep it a secret ... I would not even have joined if it was "against the rules" I'm giving a second life to an old car, shouldn't matter what I'm doing for a drive train.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

6. NorthernMainer

NorthernMainer

It's nice up this way for sure! I tried to move out of here, but I came to realize I can't stand the city so northern Maine it is! I'll keep the engine stuff a secret. My goal for this car is fuel injection (although against the rules).. I want to be able to hop in, and go for a road trip. I'm very excited to get started on it.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

7. 4274SPEED

4274SPEED

Welcome from down south (Mass.) Build your car the way you want although the nailhead would be my choice!

B Bay Barn likes this.
  8. Tomaapilot

Tomaapilot
    from Denton, TX

9. Tomaapilot

Tomaapilot
    from Denton, TX

Greetings from DF and W Texas! I've got a '50 Buick with a straight 8. It makes (but for the dynaflow) a tire chirping 128 horsepower, which ain't bad for a 719 pound motor! I've got plans too, but based on the admonitions you've already gotten, I'll keep quiet about them. If you contact me directly I'd love to chat with you, maybe compare notes. I LOVE these old Buick Roadbarges!
    Tom Into initial cleanup.jpg

10. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

This site isn't just about giving a second life to an old car...though that can be part of it.

It's pretty simple really: This site is for traditional rods and customs. Hopefully, you've figured that out by now.

If you have a non-traditional element in your build, you need to avoid talking about it or showing it here. Stick to that and everybody should be just fine!