Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Getting the lines right....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hfh, Apr 27, 2018.

1. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

How about the curved louvers in a 33 Ford , they would blend in with the coach line on the cowl . Frank

2. hfh

hfh
    from Western MA

IMG_1909.JPG I do actually have a pair of E&J lights but I think they might be too big for the grille. I will dig them out at some point. I am moving slowly and enjoying the process. Maybe tomorrow I will have a way to attach the grille and the headlights. I did decide to complete the full panel below the grille. There is also an airscoop panel below that will help to feed air to the bottom of the radiator.

3. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Supercool Hotrod @hfh...it's looking extremely sharp...;)

hfh likes this.
  4. LQQKING real nice! one thing that has struck me out of the blue........ Same angle as the windshield....... One of those hidden details........ I will be shooting for that. Thanks for the inspiration!

5. mike bowling

mike bowling

Say, Moose, what if you bobbed the horns to reduced the size of the chin pan so it follows the outside lies of the bottom of the grille shell plus maybe 3" then added a nerf bar kind of bumper?
    Car is a stunner!

brEad likes this.
  6. The37Kid

The37Kid

Things just keep getting better every time I check back in. Bob

hfh likes this.
  7. 392

I like it. The more it moves along the better it gets. Great job.

8. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

Mike , I like your idea of bobbing the horns, but I would shorten them by take I got a piece out just in front of the crossmember and keep the down turn. I also like the pointed spreader bar versus the straight one.
    Frank

9. larry k

larry k

A year from now 100 cars will running that type of grille shell ! ! ! And you started the trend thanks for the good work .

10. hfh

hfh
    from Western MA

IMG_1912.JPG Got the grille mounted permanently. The bottom of the grille didn't quite fit the panel below it so I made a small V-shaped piece out of mahogany and painted it black. Now I need to get some glass in the windshield.

11. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

That is really, really pretty. How'd I miss this thread?

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  12. hfh

hfh
    from Western MA

I think I have finalized the glass shape. It's just 1/4" plywood now but I'm finally ready to bring the patterns to the glass shop. The old bronze windshield, made twenty years ago, had metal surrounding the glass. On the new aluminum windshield, I changed the pattern so that there is metal only on three sides. The glass size remains IMG_1072.JPG IMG_1954.JPG IMG_1955.JPG almost the same but reducing the size of the frame I think is an improvement.

13. hfh

hfh
    from Western MA

IMG_2013.JPG IMG_2007.JPG Putting some miles on it now. The new smaller radiator is working. Temps rise when I'm climbing hills, but the fan holds the temperature at 195 or so. It's really nice driving behind the new windshield.

14. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

Amazing job. I hope to see it in person some time.

15. mike bowling

mike bowling

That'll be getting a lot of second looks and head scratching! Nice job

16. hfh

hfh
    from Western MA

Thank you for your positive comments. I will be working on a hood with a hinge down the middle and some hood sides to hide the radiator hoses next.

Stogy likes this.
  17. hfh

hfh
    from Western MA

IMG_2091.JPG A plumb line helped me to get the grille pretty close to centered with the windshield.

18. hfh

hfh
    from Western MA

IMG_2092.JPG And I decided that I want a '32 hinge down the center of the hood. So I need to reshape the hinge ends to suit the model A cowl and the radiator, leaving some way to adjust the height so that the sheet metal will align with the shell and the cowl.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2018
  19. hfh

hfh
    from Western MA

IMG_2093.JPG When I began this project last fall, a friend told me that with a small radiator, I need to make sure that whatever air comes through the grille has to also go through the radiator. So I made some small panels to close off the spaces between the grille and the radiator sides.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2018
  20. Late to this party. The grill looks great, as does the splash pan. I think the black wood piece you added actually looks intentional and makes the panel appear more finished and professional instead of amateur. Well done!

kidcampbell71 and Stogy like this.
  21. Man this is rad! Not sure how I missed it!! Thanks for the link @Stogy!!

kidcampbell71 and Stogy like this.
  22. hfh

hfh
    from Western MA

IMG_2088.JPG IMG_2140.JPG IMG_2145.JPG Lately I removed the Riley emblem on the grille and replaced it with a v-8 logo on the grille bars. I have also made some hood side panels that hide the lower radiator hoses and the sides of the radiator.

23. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

I’d prefer to see the radiator hoses without the panel.
    The smaller panel may not cover it but has a better overall look.
    What a great looking car you have.

hfh likes this.
  24. hfh

hfh
    from Western MA

In addition to the small side panels there will also be a hood with a hinge down the middle over the engine. The small panels hopefully will make more sense then.

kidcampbell71 and Petejoe like this.
  25. hfh

hfh
    from Western MA

IMG_2301.JPG IMG_2298.JPG Working on patterns for hood tops now. I don't know whether to use aluminum or steel. I will want louvers.

waxhead, kidcampbell71, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  26. louisb

louisb

Damn cool roadster!

—louis

hfh likes this.
  27. Love that hotrod

hfh likes this.
  28. Any updates on the hood?

29. hfh

hfh
    from Western MA

IMG_2090.JPG IMG_2089.JPG I have not made the hood yet. It just got too cold in my shop. But I have been playing with replacing the Riley logo with a v-8 logo.

kidcampbell71, Stogy and brEad like this.
  30. hfh

hfh
    from Western MA

IMG_2506.JPG I first made a mold of the v-8 logo using bondo.

kidcampbell71, Stogy and brEad like this.