Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Morris Minor Gasser build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by southcross2631, Oct 22, 2016.

1. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I found a tail light lenses if you need one. :cool:

Fiddle Picker and loudbang like this.
  2. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A golfing wife who lets you build hot rods! Who coined the phrase "You lucky dog!"

3. southcross2631

southcross2631

It is mig welded. I don't have a tig. It is on my list of purchases. I normally gas weld headers, but in my one car garage I really don't have room for tanks and a cart.

catdad49 and Fiddle Picker like this.
  4. southcross2631

southcross2631

Thanks salt flats , but I am using 39 Ford blue dot tail lights. I have already sold my original lights because I did not like them.

Fiddle Picker likes this.
  5. Thanks. I’m considering making my own at some point & I only have MIG. I hear people talk about the possibility of them cracking with MIG. Any secrets or just take your chances?

6. southcross2631

southcross2631

I made my last set with a mig and drove the car almost every day for 2 years and as far as I know they are still on the car 6 years later. I actually prefer to gas weld them for the old school look, but mig welding is quick and so far I have had no issues. I run my Hobart 140 on 3 for heat and 35 for wire speed and do short bursts rather than long runs. Keeps the heat of the pipe down. I use .023 wire as it makes the welds smaller. Just fit the pipes for a tight joint and don't try and use the wire for poor fitment fill. That's when cracking becomes an issue.

7. Awesome, this is just the info I was looking for. Thanks!

8. southcross2631

southcross2631

Sorry about no updates , but I tried to cut off my finger with a 4 inch grinder.
    Waiting for it to heal up and keep the dirt out of the cut.

catdad49 and Fiddle Picker like this.
  9. bchctybob

bchctybob

Dang, I hate when that happens. Abrasive wounds seem to hurt more and heal slower.
    If you don't hurt yourself once in a while, you ain't doin' enough.

OahuEli, Fiddle Picker, enloe and 4 others like this.
  10. Higgy's Henry

Higgy's Henry

Key word....'tried'..!!!!!

11. Doctorterry

Doctorterry

12. spanners

spanners

I know how you feel. I had surgery 3 days ago on my left hand to release 'trigger thumb'. Nothing to do with guns, the tendon that lets your thumb move was getting stuck and I had to straighten the thumb with the other hand, painfully. Even though I'm right handed, I use my left hand to screw nuts on. Went down the shed for a while yesterday and managed to do some piddly jobs on the HAMBster and a CB750 Nostalgia drag bike I'm building and then copped a rev up from my wife for getting the bandage grubby enough to have to replace it. At least I wasn't moping around the house.

13. southcross2631

southcross2631

Finally got my photos squared away. I was not able to post any pictures of my build.
    I got my front shocks mounted . I started on the interior sheet metal. I have my pedals mounted and my transmission tunnel built. I have my rear end chunk built and ready to install.
    After I get all the sheet metal in. I am going to spray paint the whole inside of the car a light gray so it will be easier to see at the night races. I just happen to have some black anodized aluminum left over. DSCF3449.JPG DSCF3448.JPG

14. southcross2631

southcross2631

A few more photos of my shock mounts and my pedals . Reused the original Morris minor pedals ,just modified them from floor mount to hanging pedals . Going to use a cable clutch system modified from a 5.0 fox body design . DSCF3450.JPG DSCF3451.JPG DSCF3454.JPG DSCF3453.JPG

15. AHotRod

AHotRod

How is your finger?

You have been busy.

loudbang likes this.
  16. WillyB

WillyB

Joining AHotRod... how's the body?
    Looks like I have a knee going... luckily , it's the right one
    and not the left (clutch) one.

Still got that SBF aluminum 2 bbl manifold?

17. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Left knee, right knee or weenie!

18. southcross2631

southcross2631

My finger grew back nicely. Thanks for asking. Went to the heart doctor and still no plans for surgery yet. I had been having some dizzy spells and he said it was from my medication and they are going to adjust that.
    If I had as much money as time ,this thing would be done. Trying to do as much as I can without spending too much money is tough.

brEad, Fiddle Picker, enloe and 3 others like this.
  19. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Looking good, let me know if you need anything.

20. gdaddy

gdaddy
    from nw fl.

Quain , that is about as classy as it gets .

loudbang likes this.
  21. southcross2631

southcross2631

Thanks Quain, but unless an influx of cash or I find a sponsor . This project is going to be a long term project.

22. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

I know it's tough and every member of the SEGA is pulling for you to be with us. The way things are going I think the SEGA will be here for a long time so take your time and enjoy the build we will save you a spot on the front row when you get finished.

OahuEli, catdad49, AHotRod and 6 others like this.
  23. southcross2631

southcross2631

DSCF3457.JPG DSCF3456.JPG Got the front door panels done this morning. Going to get some pattern paper to make the rest of the interior panels. DSCF3457.JPG DSCF3456.JPG

24. 29StudeDude

29StudeDude

Hey! Is that one of those sweet Harbor Freight air powered pop rivet guns?! I love mine. Best money I ever spent, and I got a free tarp with purchase! :)

loudbang and enloe like this.
  25. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

Get the free tape measure, I got about 10 and never can find one when I need it.

loudbang, Crosley and enloe like this.
  26. southcross2631

southcross2631

Yes it is. I have had it for 5 years and it still works like new.

27. southcross2631

southcross2631

I have finally gotten floor pans done. I still have one piece on the driver side between the seat and the shifter, but that is just a small piece.
    My steering linkage pieces came today and the final bends for my driver side header. So I can wrap those 2 items up.
    Time to get ready to weld in the door bars and get ready to paint the cage and the inside of the car. DSCF3458.JPG

catdad49, saltflats, enloe and 4 others like this.
  28. Crosley

Crosley
    from Aridzona

Looks like you have a mixture of steel and aluminum sheet for the interior panels. Looks good. Thanks

loudbang likes this.
  29. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

Looking good Mike ! Shady Side this season ?

enloe, loudbang and Quain Stott like this.
  30. southcross2631

southcross2631

Steel under the seats and the front floors where your feet and your ass is. Everything else is aluminum.
    Johnny, I am trying as hard as I can. I look at my list and check things off and there are still lots of things to do. I only want to build it once ,so I am taking my time . Trying to make sure I don't have to rebuild it because I got in a hurry and forgot something.