Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical c-channel avalibility

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by anthony myrick, Jul 20, 2018.

1. looking for some curved/radiused edged c-channel in or around central Al
    want to do a chassis but I prefer to use a more stock looking material
    having trouble finding any
    all my suppliers have the sharp edged hot rolled stuff......not gonna happen
    I may be asking the question wrong or using incorrect terms when asking
    if it is avalible, is this something that is fabricated to order?
    I have access to a brake than can handel up tp 1/4 inch but for only 60 inches
    do you guys trim down rectangle tubing?
    am I wasting my time and just use the rectangle tubing as is?
    thanks

2. 62rebel

62rebel

You may have to sculpt your own out of hot rolled and grind off the sharp edges. I'm building a tube frame and looking at needing to roll my frame horns down in the front for appearance's sake. All kinds of methods can be used to get your desired result. The problem with cutting open rectangle or square tube is that it will tend to spring out, depending on the gauge. get your cross members welded in before making the final cuts to open the inside of the tube may help. I'm sure there's smarter guys than me who will chime in soon.

anthony myrick likes this.
  3. didnt think about the channel bending when trimed
    I have a frame bench I could clamp them to and dont think I would have an issue straightning them
    but that is definately a good point
    I plan to step box the inside. I just prefer the look of the channel over the tubing

4. Any decent size metal shop should be able to shear and bend your channels to the bend radius and length you need; but you will still have to sand the edges as round as you want them.

bct, Hnstray and anthony myrick like this.

5. probably correct
    I have access to a 5 foot press brake
    could bend them in sections

6. Koz

Koz

My rails are fabbed of 10ga. P&O press braked by a local fab shop. Makes a beautiful frame and the radius out of the brake matches Model "A" stock rails perfectly. I routinely use salvaged "A" front horns and it is a perfect match.

pitman and anthony myrick like this.
  7. thanks
    going by a local machin/fab shop and ask

8. studebakerjoe

studebakerjoe

Anthony, back in the early 80s Hot Rod magazine did a series of articles on John Buttera building an A roadster and if I recall correctly he had the rails bent up in sections then welded them together so don't see why it wouldn't work now

9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As shop is going to have a pretty serious brake to bend ten gauge the way you want it. Fab shops that do farm equipment usually have the longer heavier brakes around here.
    Take some time and draw up pretty clear plans of the pieces you want done first though.
    It's a lot simpler to walk in with good sharp clear drawings of each piece you need with clear measurements on them and hand them to them than go in with a vague idea of what you want.

Hnstray likes this.
  10. Bikelessbill

Bikelessbill

I know a metal shop in north Al that might could help you out if that's close to you.They have always been very helpful and like doing custom work. Let me know if you need info.

11. Might check with a truck equipment dealer and see who they use; when I was working, I used to have channels bent for stretching or doubling truck frames, along with lighter channels for repair or custom bodies.
    Like Mr48chev said, be very clear as to what you want dimension and configuration wise for the best results.
    For some reason, my old boss had one of the parts guys order a pair 10" frame rails with 3" flanges, ended up with 3" rails with one 10" and one 3" flange. Shape didn't mean anything to the fab shop; they bend up all kinds of odd shapes for people. I thought it was pretty funny; boss didn't.

54vicky and anthony myrick like this.
  12. coilover

coilover
    from Texas

What you are looking for is called "pressed" C-channel and larger steel suppliers will have or can order what size you need. I use the pressed channel for frame center sections and X or K members and make the front and rear sections that have tapered ends. What gives a rounded edge radius with strength is to plasma cut the sides from 10/11 gauge sheet and use the same 10 or 11 gauge 2" wide strap for the top and bottom which has 1/8" round rod spacers between the sides and top or bottom straps. With the rods holding a 1/8 gap the straps are first welded to the sides with a mig on a low setting, followed with a filler pass with both heat and wire speed up. This gives plenty of material to grind a nice radius without decreasing the strength. I make all my frame horns this way including ones with a drilled and tapped bumper bracket plug or a front spring eye mount. If given a choice I opt for rectangular tubing as having a smooth inside surface makes steering brackets, engine mounts, and everything else easier and prettier.

Hnstray likes this.